Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 27
Door Hinge Pin Comes out

We have a 2007 Bambi. During the last two outings, the lower hinge pin has come out about 1/4". I drove it back in to place both times. I notice that the top area where the pin is inserted has been knurled with a center punch to (apparently) keep it in place.

Any ideas on what is causing the lower pin to walk out, and how to fix the problem ?
__________________

__________________
64Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Sounds to me like you should be taking it back to the dealer to fix this...I assume it's still under some sort of warranty being it's a 2007. I wouldn't want to be messing with it too much for fear of their saying you voided their ability to fix it because you tried to.

Shari
__________________

__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Sounds to me like you should be taking it back to the dealer to fix this...I assume it's still under some sort of warranty being it's a 2007. I wouldn't want to be messing with it too much for fear of their saying you voided their ability to fix it because you tried to.

Shari
Yes, it is still under warranty. I wanted to hear from all the experts on this forum first. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. I would not consider what I have done (or even tried to) fixing it as it is still working its way out. What I have done though is kept the pin from coming all the way out which would be disastrous going down the road.

Unfortunately, my dealer does not have a covered shop (can you believe it) to work in. With all the rain we have been experiencing here in Houston, I want to be sure its not gonna be raining whilst they have the door open/off to repair
__________________
64Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
B4WEDI's Avatar
 
2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 300
Images: 2
Hello ! I had the same problem with my '06.

I think you will find that the most economical way to retain your hinge pin is by "staking" it on the top or bottomside depending which way the pin is coming out and maybe doing both sides for good measure.

It is a simple task done with a pointed drift pin and hammer. The drift must be made of harder metal than the metal holding your pin.

Holding your drift at an angle toward the pin, the idea is to mash a little metal of the holder around the pin to keep it from working loose. If it was done at all, you should see evidence of "dimpling" on the hinge around the hinge pin.

Should only take 5 minutes or so after you assess the problem and round up the tools, rain or shine !

Good luck.
__________________
*** KEEP LOOKING UP ***

T & K



B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI
Hello ! I had the same problem with my '06.

I think you will find that the most economical way to retain your hinge pin is by "staking" it on the top or bottomside depending which way the pin is coming out and maybe doing both sides for good measure.

It is a simple task done with a pointed drift pin and hammer. The drift must be made of harder metal than the metal holding your pin.

Holding your drift at an angle toward the pin, the idea is to mash a little metal of the holder around the pin to keep it from working loose. If it was done at all, you should see evidence of "dimpling" on the hinge around the hinge pin.

Should only take 5 minutes or so after you assess the problem and round up the tools, rain or shine !

Good luck.
Thanks !! I have one thing to add though. I noticed that the Pin ends are grooved. Should the pin be stationary when the door is opened or closed or should it turn with the door ? My pin turns when the door is opened or closed.
__________________
64Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
LuminumTraila's Avatar
 
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 987
Images: 3
We have the exact same problem on our '06 Bambi. We thought we had it fixed last summer, but noticed the same problem on a longer trip just a few weeks ago.

Our pin end is grooved too. And the pin seems to move when the door is open or closed.

If anyone gets an answer from the factory about why this is happening on new models, I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Thanks!

-J
__________________
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
We have the exact same problem on our '06 Bambi. We thought we had it fixed last summer, but noticed the same problem on a longer trip just a few weeks ago.

Our pin end is grooved too. And the pin seems to move when the door is open or closed.

If anyone gets an answer from the factory about why this is happening on new models, I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Thanks!

-J
New models, old models, are one in the same.

The reason the hinge pins come out is because the door is shaking.

The fix?

Balance the running gear, tire, wheel, hub and drum as an assembly.

The balancing is not covered by warranty.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
bobkelly's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 358
Looking at my 2003, and I expect yours would be the same, the pin is driven in from the top, and it has been staked four times, that is every 90 degrees at the interface between the pin and the hinge body..
This pin does not rotate at all. The staking prevents ALL motion, both rotational and vertical. The pin is contained in the bottom part of the hinge in a hole that does not penetrate the bottom. Between the upper support point and the lower, a collar covers the actual pin and it rotates with the door motion. This collar rides on flat washers on it's two ends and these washers interface with the top & bottom part of the hinge mechanism.

Both of the door hinges look the same.

One of my eight "stakes" is ineffective due to it's position too far from the pin. The other three "stakes" are more than sufficient to hold the pin.

This fix takes a trivial amount of time to perform. Make an appointment, so you can take it in and won't need to leave it.
__________________
Bob

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
You also are having many bulbs burning out...I agree with what was said on that thread and this one....your running gear needs to be checked and balanced. If you don't get it done, this will surely get worse.
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
New models, old models, are one in the same.

The reason the hinge pins come out is because the door is shaking.

The fix?

Balance the running gear, tire, wheel, hub and drum as an assembly.

The balancing is not covered by warranty.

Andy
Hi Andy,

I can agree that an unbalanced running gear could cause this, but what jumps out at this situation is this; 1. The pin on the lower hinge (the one that is walking upward) turns with the door as you open and close. This to me seems to be more of a binding situation. The pin in the upper hinge (which is fine and is properly staked) does not move (turn) when the door is opened or closed. 2. There is about a 1/8" gap on the upper side of both hinge assemblies, which would allow for some upward movement from normal road roughness. The trip that started this was in Louisiana, and the roads are terrible along I-10 !! I guess my thoughts are the binding situation in the lower hinge is the root cause. If the pin would remain stationairy (like the upper hinge) it would merely move freely. I'm planning to take it in and discuss with the Service Manager. And yes, we will be discussing running gear balancing, but I do not see evidence of that problem when I stop and check the interior while trailering. It things like the cutting board/sink cover would be off on the floor or the pillows strewn around or cabinet doors open, I would lean toward the balance issue.

Aside from those things mentioned above, are there any other symptoms that I can look for ?
__________________
64Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
bobkelly's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 358
When you look down at the top of the bottom hinge and you see the pin rotating with the door, you have a broken stake. A properly stated pin does not move in any direction.
__________________
Bob

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Vette
Hi Andy,

I can agree that an unbalanced running gear could cause this, but what jumps out at this situation is this; 1. The pin on the lower hinge (the one that is walking upward) turns with the door as you open and close. This to me seems to be more of a binding situation. The pin in the upper hinge (which is fine and is properly staked) does not move (turn) when the door is opened or closed. 2. There is about a 1/8" gap on the upper side of both hinge assemblies, which would allow for some upward movement from normal road roughness. The trip that started this was in Louisiana, and the roads are terrible along I-10 !! I guess my thoughts are the binding situation in the lower hinge is the root cause. If the pin would remain stationairy (like the upper hinge) it would merely move freely. I'm planning to take it in and discuss with the Service Manager. And yes, we will be discussing running gear balancing, but I do not see evidence of that problem when I stop and check the interior while trailering. It things like the cutting board/sink cover would be off on the floor or the pillows strewn around or cabinet doors open, I would lean toward the balance issue.

Aside from those things mentioned above, are there any other symptoms that I can look for ?
You dealer should replace the bottom hinge in warranty.

Make sure that they apply vulkem sealer to the threads and nut on the backside of the hinge.

Running gear is either balanced, or not.

If not, sooner or later, damage will occur.

Depending on what may happen, you quite well may have wished that you had the running gear properly balanced.

Damage can get into thousands of dollars, and then it's to late.

History bears this out, over and over again and again.

Assuming the running gear is in proper balance has greater odds than you winning the Mega lottery.

Andy

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
wheel interested's Avatar
 
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,039
My door lower hinge pin is working its way up too on our 2007. The door has already been worked on at JC twice for adjustment. Is there a temporary fix because I can't drive 6-8 hours round trip to get it looked at now? Could another RV dealer handle that or is it specific to Airstreams.

And Andy what does it cost to having running gear balanced and what is the procedure, how long should it take, and you say it is not covered under warrantee? How often should this be done and what are telltale signs this is necessary between checks? Is there a check or is it just a job to be done always?

As a note, my cushions slide off, my sink covers have hopped off and this is the rear door, if that is of any consequence. Also when we had the 2006 Safari FB the table on that unit would lift up, the Classic table is too heavy to lift up and off it seems. There is little weight in the rear as currently loaded, does that matter?
__________________
Caroljb



photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
wheel interested's Avatar
 
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,039
All 4 of my wheels were just replaced but it sounds like balancing is not a given then?
__________________

__________________
Caroljb



photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1978 24ft Argosy brakes juel Brakes & Brake Controllers 6 10-31-2004 05:14 PM
Need 7 pin wiring help. TBKP's Overlander Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 3 04-21-2003 02:27 PM
Hot Water Heater Exhaust Damage Road Ruler Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 11 11-11-2002 03:27 PM
Door hinge pin. wyhjr Doors & Locks 3 10-20-2002 04:36 PM
Hinge pin movement jcanavera Doors & Locks 15 10-04-2002 11:26 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.