Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
My door lower hinge pin is working its way up too on our 2007. The door has already been worked on at JC twice for adjustment. Is there a temporary fix because I can't drive 6-8 hours round trip to get it looked at now? Could another RV dealer handle that or is it specific to Airstreams.

And Andy what does it cost to having running gear balanced and what is the procedure, how long should it take, and you say it is not covered under warrantee? How often should this be done and what are telltale signs this is necessary between checks? Is there a check or is it just a job to be done always?

As a note, my cushions slide off, my sink covers have hopped off and this is the rear door, if that is of any consequence. Also when we had the 2006 Safari FB the table on that unit would lift up, the Classic table is too heavy to lift up and off it seems. There is little weight in the rear as currently loaded, does that matter?
Balanced running gear is a must.

The following article and photo's shows how we do the balancing.

Wheel Balancing Photos - Inland RV

If this system is used to balance the gear using steel wheels, the labor runs about .3 hours per wheel.

If this system is used to balance the gear using aluminum wheels, the labor runs about .4 hours per wheel. The difference being that the aluminum wheels also used a bullet cap.

Andy

Old 07-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Balanced running gear is a must.

The following article and photo's shows how we do the balancing.

Wheel Balancing Photos - Inland RV

If this system is used to balance the gear using steel wheels, the labor runs about .3 hours per wheel.

If this system is used to balance the gear using aluminum wheels, the labor runs about .4 hours per wheel. The difference being that the aluminum wheels also used a bullet cap.

Andy
Andy,
There were other questions Wheel Interested had that were not addressed. Is there an AS recommended interval between having the running gear balanced ? You mention that it is either balanced or not.... how can it be determined if it is (Balanced) other than the obvious (having them checked on the tool shown in the pictures you attached) ? But.... after you do this how does one know it is balanced and how long it will stay that way ??

Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Vette
Andy,
There were other questions Wheel Interested had that were not addressed. Is there an AS recommended interval between having the running gear balanced ? You mention that it is either balanced or not.... how can it be determined if it is (Balanced) other than the obvious (having them checked on the tool shown in the pictures you attached) ? But.... after you do this how does one know it is balanced and how long it will stay that way ??
Balancing running gear regardless of use, be it a travel trailer, motor home, car, or truck, should be balanced every 10,000 miles.

That's something that most every tire shop, etc, recommends.

If it's ever been balanced, look for lead weights.

How long will it stay in balance, is an excellent question.

How many times will you skid the tires?

The only way it can be stated is that "under normal" use, balancing should be checked/done every 10,000 miles.

Every Airstream should have a major brake job every 10,000 miles or once a year, which ever is first. At "that time" the balancing can be checked. If it's still ok, then great. If not, then rebalancing should be done.

All too many sales/servicing dealers are not interested in balancing anything other than their check books. Therefore they will usually say, "you don't need it." How false a statement that is, coming from a dealer. There isn't one of them that would drive a car one mile, with unbalanced running gear, nor would any RV owner.

So why would they say that about your Airstream?

Usually because they do not wish to make the investment in balancing equipment.

I chose to balance the running gear on travel trailers over 40 years ago.

I worked for a dealer in San Antonio back then that had a rental fleet of 50 Shasta travel trailers. After the summer was over (the peak of them being rented) it was uncanny as to how much damage happened to the sheet metal. I talked to the owner about balancing. He said "HELL NO." So I made a deal with him. I said I would like to balance just 10 of them, for the next season, so that we could have a fair test. He thought about it, and said ok.

Next seasonal trips came about in short order. Amazingly, the trailers that had balanced running gear, had "ZERO" damage, but, the other 40 did.

The owner called me for a meeting. He said "The entire rental fleet that does not have balanced running gear, is GROUNDED." How fast can you get the other 40 balanced? I replyed, in a couple of days. He said "GREAT. GET BUSY."

That time frame was 1966 and 1967.

The problem has not gone away, and it never will, until the simple matter of physics is addresses by RV owners.

Balancing the running gear, saves the owner "money" and all to many times, "big money."

Yet, to this day, the controversy continues.

Why, I would ask you?

Is it because the owners don't care, or, is it because they are not riding in the trailer, or because they have tons of money to spend on needless and unnecessary and avoidable repairs?

Dealers love to repair the trailers that were damaged because of unbalanced running gear. But they still refuse to invest in the proper balancing equipment.

Maybe the owners should get together and only purchase their trailers from dealers who can do balancing. Then at least the owner would know, that when it came time to rebalance, he could go back to his selling dealer.

How sweet that would be, for every owner.

But, that some solution would reduce the dealers shop work load. Hmmm.

Which is better, which is worse, and for who?

Points to ponder?

Absolutely.

Andy
Old 07-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
River Forest , Illinois
LocTite

Lots of things to consider for the cause…. However here is a short term solution – when it works is way out next time, put a bit of LocTite on the pin and lightly tap it back into position using a block of wood. This was happening to my Safari and after the LocTite the pin stayed in place for the next 30,000 miles!

Rick
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
That's where the money is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
... Dealers love to repair the trailers that were damaged because of unbalanced running gear. But they still refuse to invest in the proper balancing equipment....
Most RV owners don't end up with enough miles after the initial "rush of purchase camping" to realize the damage being caused.

Nowadays, if I was running an RV dealership, I would have to consider the amount of money to be made from after-warranty repairs when considering preemptive service tools.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
My tires are balanced; the top hinge pin still worked out. I was advised on this forum to use LockTite.... Pull the hinge pin up a ways. Coat the hinge pin with LockTite and drive it down.

My hinge pin has stayed in 3 years now.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Andy,

Thanks for the detailed response and history on balancing. Your actual "hands-on" experience speaks volumes to not only the importance, but the value in doing this type of preventive maintenance. I have an appointment in two weeks to bring my AS in to have it looked at.

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes Andy, thank you very much for the very comprehensive answers and the link with the detail of the process. We had our wheels balanced and the brakes done on our 2005 Airstream and will also make it a point to have it done on this one. I fully appreciate the caution you gave, it makes sense to have your Airstream properly maintained both for preventing damage and for safety's sake. Spend a little, save a lot!

Rick and Kistler, until we can drive out for service, I'll have my husband follow your advice as well. Thanks

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Hinge pin fix

I too have had one of my door hinge pins wanting to work it's way up on a regular basis. Last year I tried using locktite and then tapping the pin back down. This worked for a short time. Then, back to the same problem. This year I had my Airstream dealer look at the problem. They did something where the tech punched the metal surface around the top of the hinge pin opening trying to tighten the hole opening itself. This worked for about a week! I had pretty much resigned myself to having Jackson Center look at the problem when I have some other work done in the fall. Then, I talked to someone that gave me another idea. He suggested that I try using Napa Surface Prep Activator for Anaerobics in conjuction with Napa High Strength Threadlocker Red. I thought--what do I have to lose! I thoroughly cleaned the protruding pin and then appled the Surface Prep Activator per directions. After the solution dried I dabbed on the High Stregth Threadlocker and tapped down the pin with wood and hammer. I waited four days before testing my door. To my amazement the idea worked! We have traveled over 6000 miles since "the fix" and still (keep my fingers crossed) no further problem. Give it a try---hopefully you have similar results. If not, start balancing the running gear. Juergen
Old 09-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Hinge Pin and Door Hinge Loose?

Say, I have a combination problem with my 01 30' using the power stabilizers when I push out the slide. This racks the door frame such that one has to pull up on the handle to close it. The up shot to this has been the lower hinge has gotten loose alone with the pin. The dealers repairman said his best fix for the pin is to cross drill through the hinge into the pin and then use a roll pin to capture it positively. ???? Your fixes sound easier.

And then the loose hinge is another story! If I couldn't tighten up the screws on the hinge with a torque tool, and it didn't, so I have to open up the wall. It seems that AS didn't think that the nuts would ever come
loose with all that sealant over them. But then we know better!!!

But the repairman said I must remove the trim around the inside of the door and then measure up to the location of the screws, allowing for work room, then cut out the inside panel, behind the trim area. Remove all the sealant around the nuts, remove and replace with flat washers and lock washers. Lock up both nuts, reseal then replace the trim. Locktite too? Sounds too easy Ha Ha

I've also experienced the Morathon tire explosion problem, so I have four new GoodYear balanced tires after less than 5K miles but four years of exposure. Just like most of you, I had the side wall blow out problem but without any prorata from the tire company. Just pay and play.
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Classic Motorhome Hinge Pin Faces Down!

I have never looked at the hinges on any other Classic MH but the pins on our door come out downward and the blind end is on top. While I appreciate the wheel balance issue with trailers, we've replaced tires and had wheels balanced, and our lower hinge pin wants to drop out. This is scary--if it happened on the road it would be hard to replace!

Really glad to hear about the Napa prep and loctite solution--Thanks!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
We have the exact same problem on our '06 Bambi. We thought we had it fixed last summer, but noticed the same problem on a longer trip just a few weeks ago.

Our pin end is grooved too. And the pin seems to move when the door is open or closed.

If anyone gets an answer from the factory about why this is happening on new models, I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Thanks!

-J
Hi Jamie, well that is twice for you and then me and now I noticed Vicki's was working up and let her know, and Nancy says hers is working its way up. All of us have new 2006-2008 units. Nancy was bringing hers back to the dealer and they were going to mention the fact to Airstream that so many of us are having this issue. I bet there are more that just haven't noticed yet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hi Jamie, well that is twice for you and then me and now I noticed Vicki's was working up and let her know, and Nancy says hers is working its way up. All of us have new 2006-2008 units. Nancy was bringing hers back to the dealer and they were going to mention the fact to Airstream that so many of us are having this issue. I bet there are more that just haven't noticed yet.
I'm glad you're checking door hinges and letting others know when you see the problem. We still haven't found a good fix for for ours other than to keep checking it and putting it back in place when the pin starts working its way up. It really would be interesting to find out how widespread the problem is.

-J

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote