Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Deadbolt Not Locking

The smaller lock above it works, but the deadbolt will not lock. I just realized I have been leaving my trailer unlocked. I recently spent five days at a park - no one breached the inside.

I know the smaller lock can easily be picked.

Anyone else have/had this problem? What did you do? I am still under extended warranty.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Can you see the deadbolt move in and out if you turn the knob with the door open? You might try lubing the mechanism.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have the same problem (2012). It looks like the arm that comes out of the deadbolt in the door is somehow pushed back toward the key so when it tries to turn to the left and engage the pocket, that arm hits the outside of the pocket. I'm going to talk to the dealer about it. It's not a lube thing, it's an alignment thing.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
The smaller lock above it works, but the deadbolt will not lock. I just realized I have been leaving my trailer unlocked. I recently spent five days at a park - no one breached the inside.

Anyone else have/had this problem? What did you do? I am still under extended warranty.
OK, with a newer unit you shouldn't be having this kind of problem. Open the door and test the key on the deadbolt. If the lock bar moves in and out the problem pretty much has to be alignment when the door is closed - and the lock bar hits the top or bottom of the hole it's supposed to go through. First place to look? Your stabilizer jacks are probably racked up too tight, back them off one whole turn and try again. The stabilizers are NOT supposed to level your trailer. You should use blocks under the tire(s) on the low side. Stabilizers should just be snug to keep the trailer from rocking when you walk (or whatever) inside.

If you can't SEE what's happening with the lock - try the lipstick test. Put a bit of lipstick on the end of the lock bar - try to lock the door. The lipstick will transfer to whatever edge of the lock plate the lock is hitting rather than passing through. If it's on the outside - push on the door a bit when you use the key! On the inside, pull out slightly on the door when you lock it. (This can change seasonally based on temperature.)

If your stabilizers aren't in use or are just tight enough to work and the mark is on the top or bottom... then you may have to move the lock plate. That's not a huge deal an the lipstick can tell you which direction to move it in.

Hope it's easy to fix.

Paula
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I had a similar problem but because it was under warranty I had it replaced
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Don't think that the deadbolt is not easily picked too. They are both very simple locks with only a couple of pins or wafers. My new one has 2 or 3 max. on the deadbolt. I am looking for a higher quality lockset which will work with the existing deadbolt pin mechanism. Virtually all RV locksets are close to junk as far as protection goes, Airstream included.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
dave, the bar does not move.

Thanks all, for your reply - especially Paula. I haven't had time to monkey around with it yet. If I can't get it to work, I may just get a better lock installed. The extended warranty charges me a $50 deductible. Might be best to put that towards another lock (or wait until I find anything else that needs repairing under deductible).

However, as they say, if anyone wants to get in bad enough, they will.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Are you concerned about entry when you are inside the rig, or when outside and the trailer is alone?

If your concern is about being inside and having someone enter, anything keyed from the outside is vulnerable to a 10-second lock pick. If security is crucial to you, you would be better off to install an inside only bolt. Although I don't have a specific part in mind, I have seen over the years many that would work easily and very low cost.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Are you concerned about entry when you are inside the rig, or when outside and the trailer is alone?

If your concern is about being inside and having someone enter, anything keyed from the outside is vulnerable to a 10-second lock pick. If security is crucial to you, you would be better off to install an inside only bolt. Although I don't have a specific part in mind, I have seen over the years many that would work easily and very low cost.
Very astute observation. I am concerned about both, but I usually travel solo with a dog - inside security is crucial. The beagle is a good watch dog, but would never attack.

Thanks so much. Will look into an inside-only bolt.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
If the bolt does not move something is jamming it. I'd try some WD or Boeshield or something to try to loosen it up.

I like being able to lock the deadbolt from outside for peace of mind that the door isn't going to open when I'm driving.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Dave, the bolt is not moving. It was snug against the rubber seal. I pried it away from the seal a bit, then banged the end of the bolt with a hammer. Still not moving when I insert key or turn black circle lever (on the inside of the door).

I have Boeshield; will blast it tomorrow.

Good point about that proverbial peace of mind. I travelled over 200 miles recently with the deadbolt unlocked - the door did not open. However, Murphy's Law seems to reign supreme with trailers!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Beagle? Yeah, you're going to want a working dead bolt!

Something like this inside should be easy to build.
Attached Images

mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote