Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Deadbolt Installation???

Wow - I thought there would be a lot more under this section.

Our door handle works but does not lock - we have not worried about it till now. But we will be travelling down to the states soon and may leave the rig unattended while we walk the dogs.

We have priced out a new replacement from you know where - not an option at this point.

Will be getting a lock smith to have a look at the door lock for us see if he can do anything - but the deadbolt would be an addition regardless - so we want to make it as "blended" as possible.

Has anyone installed a keyed dead bolt on a late 60's or early 70's model?

Any pictures or advice would be greatly appreciated.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
GT6921.

It is not recommended to add a dead bolt to your cast door frame.

It could snap the first time you slammed the door.

The cost to heli-arc it back together, gets expensive very fast.

Additionally, that door or frame is no longer available.

The lock you need is called an "L-100 Special". It is special because the striker bolt is extended, which is required on your trailer.

They are not expensive (less than $140.00), compared to the 70 to 77 lock that goes for $600.00, per Airstream.

We have shipped over 200 L-100 specials so far this year.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
MaxandGeorgia,
My unit has an installed dead bolt, the key part of the dead bolt is installed in the body, the throw bolt has been cut down to about half size. I will post a picture this weekend when I get back to where my AS is. I know that one of the local dealers installs them all the time.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
GT6921.
The lock you need is called an "L-100 Special". It is special because the striker bolt is extended, which is required on your trailer.

They are not expensive (less than $140.00), compared to the 70 to 77 lock that goes for $600.00, per Airstream.

We have shipped over 200 L-100 specials so far this year.

Andy
Thanks for the info Andy - When we first bought her we were quoted that price for the 70's lock - so you know what we mean as far as price - a hotwater tank is first in line and then the univolt (if the capacitors are not the culprit).

200 shipped - does that mean over 200 vintage trailers are being given new locks or do the break easily?

$140.00 sounds very reasonable - however we would pay that much again in shipping and UPS cross boarder brokerage fees.

I found that out the hard way last winter - I purchased something for $40US and it was shipped by UPS and I had to pay $75+ in brokerage fees/taxes. So that sort of puts a kybosh on ordering from you too, as don't you use UPS.

Our best bet will be to wait till we head in to the States I guess. What would your shipping fees be to sa,y Sarasota in February???

Again thanks for the info. (oh by the way there would not be a supplier of that particular lock up here in Canada would there?)

[QUOTEwahoonc]I will post a picture this weekend when I get back to where my AS is.[/QUOTE]

That would be interesting to see. Still might be an option. Not into slaming doors - affraid it might fall off - very gentle with everything inside trailer - as anything Peter seems to touch breaks - light covers, Antenna crank handle.....

PS who is MaxandGeorgia - is that aka PeterandSharon
Old 11-29-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
GT6921.

Small packages can be shipped to Canada for $24.00.

Do you possibly have a friend just within our borders? Many Canadians do and have parts shipped to them that way.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Uhhh can I plead advanced age at 45 Sorry Sharon and Peter I was replying to couple of threads at the same time and my mind must have slipped a cog Surfing is lots of fun on a cell modem with Firefox I will post the pictures this weekend, but it sounds like you may have a different door frame from mine. My unit is a 75...of course I have one of the high dollar locks CDN or USD

Aaron
mind slipping into the future LOL
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 12-05-2004, 05:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

On welding AL,
I bought a few brazing rods at a local home center (Lowes) that allow you to braze AL with a propane torch.
Tried them and they work great provided you know a little about welding.
The AL heats very fast and you have a very narrow margin of temp. to work with it.
The metal has to be very clean as well......I used a stainless brush to clean it before and during the brazing.
You can spot these rods in the welding supply section, they are white in color and are rather high.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
...Has anyone installed a keyed dead bolt on a late 60's or early 70's model?
In more of a philosophy, as opposed to a good answer to your question, I do not like to lock my vintage Airstream. There is seldom anything of great value in it, and I would rather someone just open the door to steal the Mr. Coffee as opposed to jimmying it with a crowbar or breaking one of my unobtainium windows.

Some damage just can not be repaired to look as-good-as-new.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:25 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
tom

i'm just guessing, but i think sitting under the awning with a cold one and the 12 gauge in your lap helps too!

john
Old 12-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hmm something to think about I guess.

So do I deter the nasty and delay him/her enough so that I can borrow HD's beer and whack'em with it. Or do I leave the door open for the Airstream professional to pillage my coach of the $25.00 Light lenses

Won't need the gun - have the Black Taz! but don't tell anyone if you bark at her she will hide under the coach - and the couch if we had one!

Still would like to entertain the idea of some sort of extra locking system. As we will have precious cargo! - we have the plexiglass side window - which I am sure was a result of either lost keys or a break in at one point. found the tempered glass squares when we had her apart.

Look forward to your pics wahoonc
Old 12-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
rickstream did a first class installation of a stainless dead bolt on his '74 excella. it can be done without damage.

now i just gotta get him to post the results!

john
Old 12-05-2004, 02:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
I am watching this thread closely. I purchased my stainless steel deadbolt 2 years ago & have seen several trailers that have had them sucessfully installed. BUT, I have been too CHICKEN to start cutting into my trailer to attempt an installation. So, this subject is one I'll monitor. Hopefully there will be enough input to make me comfortable in proceeding with this project.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
I have installed a dead bolt in my 1974 Excella. If you install a bolt on your trailer without planning, you have a junk trailer. If you install a bolt using a plan, plan, plan you will have a very nice way to lock up that beer you just put in the frig. Please, start by taking the inside skin off and examine how your trailer was built (around the door and jam that is). What type of room is available between ribs and extrusions. After doing this, then you can start to plan the placement of the lock. Make sure that you never cut through a rib or an extrusion. You will see by my picture that a comprimise was made and I cut through part of the rib and extrusion. Minimize the material removal when you start. Placement of parts may overlap some of a rib or extrusion, find a spot that will minimize this. Please do not cut completely through a rib or extrusion. If you sever it, you may have made junk of your trailer. If you feel you cannot complete this job, all you have to do is replace the inner skin you just removed for the lock placement inspection. This inspection is were you will decide if you can do this job. You will need an electric drill, some correct size hole saws and a file.
RickStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
This is the dead bolt on the trailer, it does not have Vulkum around it yet, when final installation is done, use a bunch of Vulkem to weather seal the lock to the trailer skin. After the Vulkem cures, clean off excess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deadbolt airstream 1974 (Small).jpg
Views:	336
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	9651  
Old 12-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
Remember to drill from the inside out to preserve the door jam. THAT MEANS DO NOT CUT THROUGH THE DOOR JAM ON OUTSIDE OF TRAILER!!! The lock housing will be cut to fit the door jam profile. Use a hack saw or die grinder use whatever, but do it right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drill from inside out for housing (Small).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	9652  
Old 12-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
This is the outside of the trailer after the hole was cut from INSIDE OUT. But stop the cut before going through the jam frame. The lock housing will be cut to fit this profile. Look at the earlier picture. Look were the Vulkem has not been applied and it is apparent that the housing was fit to the trailer. During final installation Vulkem will hide this feature.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outside door jam (Small).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	9653  
Old 12-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Rickstream

Looks really sharp - and fairly easy when you plan. Question: was there a particular reason why you choose to put the lock portion on the trailer rather than having on the door with the bolt going into the door frame.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
Now, I am assuming you folks know how a Deadbolt works, adjusts, goes together and comes apart. If you understand this, then you can adjust your "POI" (plan of installation) to fit in the area you have to work with. We do not want to "JAT" (Junked Another Trailer) because we did not have a POI. Now this group of pictures show how close the holes are to the extrusion on the door jam. Just shaves a little off, remember not to cut through this or you will have JAT'ed the thing. Use masking tape if it will help, may give you the dimension you need to make the POI work. Now look back at the earlier picture that shows the cut made from inside out, yes part of rib was cut. However, the strength, for the most part, has been preserved. Take your time doing the entire project. I have lots of experience with this type of work and I still get a little wound up. If you get wound up, TAKE 5, HAVE ANOTHER COLD ONE! Just remember think first cut second.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	housing to be cut to fit frame (Small).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9655   Click image for larger version

Name:	masking tape for position (Small).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	9656  

Name:	Extrusion on jam & bolt hole (Small).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	9657  
Old 12-05-2004, 05:38 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Rickstream

Looks really sharp - and fairly easy when you plan. Question: was there a particular reason why you choose to put the lock portion on the trailer rather than having on the door with the bolt going into the door frame.
I can answer that one....clearance, the door is too thin for the dead bolt. BTW sorry I didn't manage to get home this weekend and get pictures but Rickstreams install is almost identical to mine Except my throw bolt was cut down too, I would guess to keep the hole in the door and door jamb to a minimum. Now I will have to post pictures.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 12-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
, Wisconsin
Using time as our tool we will drill a hole for the bolt. First find the correct place for this hole. Use your POI as a guide here. When selecting hole saws to drill up your trailer, I would select one that is just interference fit and file the hole to fit. Some projects are not so well planned and having the abilty to "slide-it-over" a little can be done if the hole is small when you start and enlarge it as needed. I selected the trailer to put the lock and bolt on using the door as the stiker because, well, that is how Airstream has done it, I can only imagine how deep the dent would be, if the lock was on the door, after the door bounced off the trailer side, when you came boiling out of the trailer after whoever just stolen your beer! Now we have to think about how we are going to put a hole in the door frame in "just-the-right-spot", also, that bolt is aweful large in diameter, don't you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drill bolt hole (Small).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	9659   Click image for larger version

Name:	file for perfect fit (Small).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	9660  

Name:	fit it up first (Small).jpg