Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Deadbolt

I am going to install a deadbolt on my 1973 Argosy 24' this weekend and am worried about the row of rivets 2" from the door. Does anyone know if there is enough room to get the deadbolt cylinder inbetween this rib, or should I put the deadbolt cylinder in the door?

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Herritt

1973 25' Tradewind
Victoria , BC
Deadbold Installation

I just finished installing a deadbolt on my '73 Tradewind 25'. First the deadbold will have to go in the wall and not the door for the will not be enought space on the door to close the screen door.

My A/S has a door trim/strip all around the door frame on the body. The deadbolt did over lap onto the trim. So the options were to grind a little of one side of the deadbolt or make a spacer to go under the deadbolt to raise the deadbolt flush with the trim.

After looking at other A/S not all of them have the same trim around the door. Some have the skin go up the the door frame and riveted. Not sure what your set up is. If you have not trim around the door frame on the trailer side I think it will clear.

I made the spacer to go under. It was about 1/4 inch thick. After the installation I sealed it with Par-bond. It really looks great.

There is another problem also. The bolt itself that has to go in the door is thick. You will have to make a hole a fair size to accomadate the bolt. In the pass people have been grinding down the bolt thickness, in order not to compermise the structure of the door. Again I drill a small hole and hand filed it to size.

One caution is in your measurements. The bolt itself on the instructions gives measurements for a countersunk bolt plate. You can't countersink therefore allow for the thickness the the bolt plate.

I can post some pictures on my installation. I will take them later today. In the mean time do a search under deadbolts for their are several good threads on this subject with pictures.

Herritt
Herritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 06:02 AM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Deadbolt

Correction, the rib is 4" from the door opening.
How wide is this rib on the Argosy?
From all post I can find, this rib is not present on Airstreams.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote