Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #1

1988 32' Excella
Chase , British Columbia
Dead Bolt Key 1988 Excella 32"-0"

The P/O did not have a key to the deadbolt on my Airstream. I have taken it to several RV dealers and one said they wanted to drill through the frame to install a modified lock on the door with a dead bolt. I read in another post that Andy from Inland warns to never drill through a cast frame, so that's out. Another dealership could only shrug, and finally I went to the best lock smith in the area. They said I would be responsible for the rivets and skin and any damage upon removal to re-key the lock.

It is a Schlage dead bolt inset in the entry handle with a door bell. I'm not sure if the door frame trim that the skin seems to be under needs to be removed from around the entire door, and how the skin is peeled back or would you open the wall from the window side? The interior plate removed easily but I cannot feel any mechanics to remove the handle through the small opening to the interior of the wall. Can someone help advise so I may possibly think about doing this project myself or suggest another way to get a locking door that will not fly open when cruising down the highway!!!

Will Airstream provide a key if I provide proof of ownership and VIN?
View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
West Liberty , Kentucky
Dead Bolt Key 1988 Excella 32"-0"

View,

I had a problem with the deadbolt on my '89 Excella. Ended up taking it to Airstream. They removed a section of the inside skin between the door and the window approx 4" wide and 10" high to gain access to the lock. Once the lock was repaired they cut a piece of matching material from their stock large enough to cover the access hole and riveted that in place. If you didn't know it was there you couldn't tell the difference.

Hope this helps.
MR AIRSTREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #3

1988 32' Excella
Chase , British Columbia
Thanks for the advice, continuing, I have cut out the wall and removed the handle and lock. The new keys were cut with no problem. To patch the hole, what is the best method to cut out a 3" X 1'-0" section from the interior of a cabinet to cover the hole? I would like the edges to be perfect. Aviator snips have not provided perfect results for me.
View is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deadbolt, door, lock, re-key, removal