Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
"D" Seal or not, (Door top leak)

I sat thru my first big storm in my Safari, finally was able to identify the source of the "mystery" leak that I had been chasing for some time now.

The rain is getting around my brand new "D" seal that was installed as part of our frame off renovation.
Click image for larger version

Name:	door-front.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	239255

I guess the rain is making its way under the "brow" above the door

Name:	brow-side.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	239256

The next two pictures are just to complete the image

Name:	D-Seal-top.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	239257

Name:	door_brow.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	239258

Can anyone provide better solution than the Medium "D" seal that I installed, I was thinking of adding an additional flat seal, the one used for the curved windows, is there maybe a "taller" 1/2" wide seal.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

On my trailer I find that, over the years, the door gradually straightens in the vertical plane. That is, the top to bottom curvature very slightly straightens. This causes the top and bottom of the door to separate very slightly from the seals, allowing water ingress. Every few years I restore the bend, by the crude and brutal technique of pulling the top of the open door towards me, with my knee in the centre of the door.
If you can post a piece of paper through the top of the door where it meets the seal, you might like to explore some more sophisticated technique to re-bend the door.
I do it with my left knee, which is a replacement joint, so no pain at all!
Nick.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Nick, mine is a cast aluminum door and frame. Is that what you have?

I am afraid of breaking the door if I try to bend it.

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

David, yes, a cast aluminium frame and a sheet aluminium skin. I'm also afraid of breaking the door each time I bend it, but I still do it. However, I'm a rock climber and sea kayaker, so I'm in the habit of doing apparently stupid things!
If you have a gap at the top, at least you know the cause, even if, understandably, you don't like my suggested solution. You could just use some self-adhesive draught excluder foam to close up the gap.
Good luck.
Nick.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
When we redid our 72 Safari... We had the same issue. When I was told to put a 2x4 in the door and push hard on top and bottom of door.... I said WHAT!!! There is a UTube that shows how to adjust it. It works... I wanted more control... So I hooked a racrchet strap to top and bottom of door to aid the bending. Only caution would be take baby steps... If you go too far the door will have latching issues n you will have to reverse the process....
Debnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

More information here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f480...ner-56328.html

Nick.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Hey, it worked, I actually over bent the door and had to pull it back some. Tonight there will be more rain here in Austin, where I am parked, this should be a good test.