Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Classic trunk lock cylinder - Problem?

The standard "one size fits all" key works fine in my water fill access door, but on both of the rear trunk handles, It must be inserted fully and then backed out about an eighth of an inch or so, before it will work. Kind of annoying. It has the be in exactly the right depth to work. Is there any way to adjust this? Perhaps a bad run of latches?
Thanks,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Trunk Locks

A good locksmith should be able to make a key that will work properly in your locks. Do not go to Home Depot, Lowes or anyone that does not specialize in locks and key making.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Actually it's a worn or poorly made key. (And, these locks are not expensive or very well made to begin with.)

If you take the key to a locksmith, they can inspect it to see where it is worn (or cut improperly), and make a new key that will work better. If you can remove the cylinder or entire lock mechanism and take it with you, that would be even better. Or, you can just replace the entire lock assembly (and key).

A person that runs a key-making machine may also be able to do this, too; but these people (typically at a hardware store or in the mall) are usually not locksmiths. They usually know how to duplicate keys, but have very little knowledge on how locks are constructed internally and how to adjust the depth and positions of the cuts on a key.

==============

Sorry for duplicating similar information. I stepped away for a little bit and didn't see Dstalzer's response.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Are you saying that you are trying to use your water access door key to open your other compartments? Sorry for the stupid question, but that's how the message read.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Are you saying that you are trying to use your water access door key to open your other compartments? Sorry for the stupid question, but that's how the message read.

Pat
Hi Pat,
That is not a stupid question. That is exactly what I was doing, and it worked sort of. I have just sorted it out with some outside help. It is a case of too many keys.
I thought the key for the trunk was the key for my locking hitch pin. They are coincidentally identical except for number. The other coincidence (I guess) is that the key for the water fill will open the trunk when used as I described and was complaining about. This is the way I have been opening the trunk for the two weeks we have had the trailer. The key demo went by pretty fast when we picked up the trailer. In fact I think the salesman was doing the same thing. He did have some trouble with it.
My previous trailer had one key for the main door latch and dead bolt. It had one more key that unlocked the water fill door, the electric cord door, the external shower, the city water door, and the external storage door.

I was hoping to close this thread without admitting what I was doing, but you beat me to it.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote