Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Chesler/Bargman locks on 1966 TradeWind

Hoping someone with more experience can help with this one.

My AS has what I believe to be a Chesler T-5 lockset. This setup has a smooth knob on the exterior and interior of the entry door. Unfortunately my wife's arthritic hands make it difficult for her to open the door, especially from the inside. As a safety precaution, I'd like to swap out the interior knob for a paddle-style lever. Does anyone know if this is feasible without swapping the entire assembly? And if so, any idea where I'd find one of these? My cursory web search seemed to indicate discontinuation on most of these type parts.

The existing set looks similar to the first photo and the desired interior would be something like the second. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My 66 Trade Wind has the lever on the lock on the interior of the door. I have removed the two machine screws on the interior side of the lock. The face plate and lever simply slide out of the square opening in the shaft. The lever is pinned to the square. I think my lock set is a Bargman L-200.

My lock set is worn due to difficulty pulling the door shut against the gaskets. The lever is used as the pull handle. Not the best.

I would think a lever type opener could replace the round knob on your lock set. I understand refurbished or used lock sets for these trailers are quite expensive. I see Silver Trailer Supply sells used ones. They may have a used lever lying around that they could sell you.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Thank you, David. I will investigate Silver Trailer Supply.

I have the same issue with looseness of the knob due to pulling the door shut. I guess I have been lucky that is where the wear seems to be, rather than the mechanism.

Phillipians 4:13
Old 12-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Abernathy , Texas
I am a locksmith of 29 years and i have a Brand new never installed bargman lock that might work for you. They don't make these locks anymore so they are rare.
It would cost $395.00 plus shipping.
just let me know.
Thanks Terry
AA locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by louaxtjr View Post
Hoping someone with more experience can help with this one. My AS has what I believe to be a Chesler T-5 lockset. This setup has a smooth knob on the exterior and interior of the entry door. Unfortunately my wife's arthritic hands make it difficult for her to open the door, especially from the inside. As a safety precaution, I'd like to swap out the interior knob for a paddle-style lever. Does anyone know if this is feasible without swapping the entire assembly? And if so, any idea where I'd find one of these? My cursory web search seemed to indicate discontinuation on most of these type parts. The existing set looks similar to the first photo and the desired interior would be something like the second. Thanks in advance for any help.
Hello
Did you ever your interior knob replacement?
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Chesler T5 inside door knob

louaxtjr

Did you ever find a interior door latch for your Chesler T5. I have one that is missing the inside knob and was wondering what you found. Would you sell your old one if you have found a replacement handle or where I might find one. Thanks Jim
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Still looking for an interior door lever. Unforunately, I cannot sell my lockset, as my wife and I are currently living full time in our Airstream. Thank you for asking.
Lou

Tags