Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
North Bend , Washington
Changing storage compartment locks?

Newbie owner here ... Thanks in advance for the help.

Any advice on changing out the locks on the rear storage compartment? I have a 2014 Flying Cloud that occupies a storage yard with a few other 2014s. I'm not real keen on having the same keys that my neighbors do. I've heard people say you can pick up similar lock sets at home depot or lowes. Any truth to that, or is rekey the answer?
JBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBruno View Post

Any advice on changing out the locks on the rear storage compartment? I have a 2014 Flying Cloud that occupies a storage yard with a few other 2014s. I'm not real keen on having the same keys that my neighbors do. I've heard people say you can pick up similar lock sets at home depot or lowes. Any truth to that, or is rekey the answer?
Hi, unless you know for sure that your neighbor's keys actually work on your locks, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't done it, but these locks are probably simple to pick. And a medium sized screwdriver could probably easily pop the storage doors open.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It doesn't matter what year your coach is. It doesn't matter what brand.
The storage compartment keys were the same on my 2009 Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS as the keys for my 2013 Airstream Classic 30.
There are only a few different keys.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBruno View Post

I believe you have the same locks I do, the black combination lock/turn latch/recessed handle thing. Right? Well, if so, there's nothing else that will fit without major rework, and few if any better alternatives.

You could take the latch and the key to a locksmith and have them change the tumblers around and cut a new key. I haven't explored that possibility, in depth, but the locksmith I usually use charges around $30 per lock for repinning. The Airstream locks are wafer locks but I would imagine that the charges would be similar.

I guess I wouldn't be too concerned about petty theft by people who own newer RVs.

I do lock the baggage doors but that's more as a precaution against casual theft and general mischief, crimes of opportunity, than out of concern that the next guy is going to steal my leveling blocks.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
The compartment locks have recently changed. The older style is no longer on the market.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If I was in a storage lot with my 2014 Cloud, surrounded by other similar Airstreams .....the last thing I would worry about was someone opening my storage locker and stealing a 30 dollar chair or 10 dollar hose.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
JBruno,
Welcome to Airforums !
I understand your concern regarding violation of your trailer's locks & don't want to minimize that. But, personally, I'd much rather someone wanting to get into the storage compartments use a key to unlock them than a screwdriver (or crowbar) to break in. The damage caused by strong-arm break in's can often exceed the value of items taken.
So, I'd not worry much about this. Just my 2-cents.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
The storage key to the '10 FC also open the 64 bambi and the 75 year-old garage door lock.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
North Bend , Washington
Thanks for the replies - and advice. I completely understand there may be an element of over worrying here. I can't help that - I grew up in a big city.

I do tend to store tools and other things for the road that have more value than my hoses, but that's an easier fix than the locks.
JBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
As a former locksmith, I agree with the suggestions to "not worry." I am lucky enough to store my moho next to my house, but many of the storage doors are unlocked, including my two tool bins. If I were worried, I would empty them and leave them unlocked. That way a bad guy would open the door and find...nothing.

My latches are riveted in to the door, so changing the key would require drilling out the rivets to get to the key cylinder. I have been continually impressed by the amount of valuable goods that people just leave around in the rv parks & have not heard of any light-fingered visitors. I'm sure it happens, but it must be pretty rare.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
The compartment locks have recently changed. The older style is no longer on the market.
Had a 2011 Forest River that used the ever popular 751 key. However, the storage compartment on my 2014 Bambi Sport uses an entirely different key and lock cylinder. The 751 will not open it, but it will open the Bambi's fresh tank fill door.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote