Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Broken welds on a '79 screen door

My screen door recently had some welds break loose. These are where the two horizontal rails that the slider rides in meet the vertical frame on the latch side of the screen door.

Looks like I could just remove the screen temporarily and have it re-welded. If I have to take it to a welding shop I could drill out the six large pop rivets and the six bucked rivets in order to remove the door and not fool with the trailer door and hinges, but maybe remounting a screen door is trickier than I think?

Perhaps a replacement screen door is available at a reasonable cost, including shipping?

I'm sure this has happened to someone in the past. Let me know what your solution was.

Thanks,
Christopher

Old 08-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
My screen door recently had some welds break loose. These are where the two horizontal rails that the slider rides in meet the vertical frame on the latch side of the screen door.

Looks like I could just remove the screen temporarily and have it re-welded. If I have to take it to a welding shop I could drill out the six large pop rivets and the six bucked rivets in order to remove the door and not fool with the trailer door and hinges, but maybe remounting a screen door is trickier than I think?

Perhaps a replacement screen door is available at a reasonable cost, including shipping?

I'm sure this has happened to someone in the past. Let me know what your solution was.

Thanks,
Christopher
Chris.

The screen door can easily be welded back together.

The cause of the problem??

One word.

VIBRATION.

One or more of the following has caused the issue.

Lack of proper running gear balance.

Bad rubber rods in the axles.

Excessive duty tow vehicle.

Excessive rated load equalizing hitch bars.

Andy

Old 08-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I pulled my trailer to my neighbor with a welder that would weld aluminum. and did it in place. Most weld shops should be able to do that. I looked at taking the door off once and quickly reconsidered. Same would go for the screen door. I know it's a pain to haul the trailer but it could be easier than taking it off and putting it back on...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Thanks Andy, but I doubt the axles I bought from you a few years ago are bad already. Seriously, these welds were broken long ago and I had made a repair with some flat aluminum stock pop riveted in place to splice the door pieces back together.

The location of the splices is at an area of heavy stress every time you pull or push open the door and the pop rivets finally pulled out. I could just pop rivet it all back together but I think I'll find someone to weld it and not have to fool with it again for the 30 years or so.

For those who might be interested in this thread I'll post a follow-up when the job is done and let you know how it turned out, the cost, etc.

Christopher
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Got my door welded back together for only $40. For more on this saga, see the thread: Putting a '79 screen door back on the trailer.

Christopher