Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Broken Door Handle? Be Prepared With This Simple Mod

Iíd add a sturdy looped nylon webbing pull strap to the footman loop. My fat fingers might not get a good purchase on the footman loop alone.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Are the screws with the Footman Loop secured in a way that would prevent them from loosening up with repeated tugs? I like this idea.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #31
Dennawayne

2015 30' International
On the Road , Washington
Getting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
OK, I'm a worrier. When I saw this thread about the entrance/exit door handle breaking off, it got my attention: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ht-133974.html

Having no interest at all in crawling out the "emergency exit" of our 23D, I started checking the latch mechanism to see if there is a way to get it open even with a totally-broken-off-handle.

As it turns out, there is.

In the attached photos, you will see a little "tab" inside the door latch mechanism. Lifting "UP" on this tab will release the latch... exactly what happens when you turn the handle.
Attachment 261903

So, a few minutes work with a file to create a "notch" in my screen door frame, and drilling a small hole in the door frame allows me to "trip" the latch with a small Phillips screwdriver (now residing in my inside-the-trailer tool kit).
Attachment 261910

I bought some fuzzy-side Velcro and made new pads for the door frame. I cut a "X" where the hole is drilled in the frame, and, sure 'nuff, the screwdriver goes right through and with about 5-seconds of hunting for exactly the right place, "POP" my door is open.
Attachment 261904
Attachment 261905

I plan on buying a new handle assembly (they are only just over twenty bucks) and carry it as a "spare." This level of preparedness should ensure my handle never breaks!

"Spare" door handle here: http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...e-lh-381547-02

Rob
Just wanted to say thanks for your great photos on how to get out when locked in. Unfortunately I didnít find your post until I sling down the fire pole. Iím in your debt because we went a month opening the with a screwdriver until I tapped the handle for a permanent fix. Thanks Dennawayne
Dennawayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:36 AM   #32
Dennawayne

2015 30' International
On the Road , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennawayne View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for your great photos on how to get out when locked in. Unfortunately I didnít find your post until I sling down the fire pole. Iím in your debt because we went a month opening the with a screwdriver until I tapped the handle for a permanent fix. Thanks Dennawayne
Being prepared is great . I feel all the handles will fail eventually because of the handle is swagged on to the plate. Tapping the handle for threads is the best permanent fix. When you put a lock washer and lockttite on the threads you are done messing with the handle.
Dennawayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:47 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Are the screws with the Footman Loop secured in a way that would prevent them from loosening up with repeated tugs? I like this idea.
I drilled the hole thru the plastic door cover into the metal door skin and used a machine screw. I do have shallow inserts to push into the door skin if in the future these loosen up but wanted to start with keeping it simple. Based on how it felt when tightening down the screws (a highly scientific method) I'm pretty sure this is not going to loosen up.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Broken Door Handle? Be Prepared With This Simple Mod

I just got my footman loop. A couple 1/4-20 rivnuts will be swaged into the door skin, and a daub of blue locktite will be there when I put the screws in.

Then to really Overkill this, Iíll drill and tap the handle shaft and install a bolt with more blue locktite to be a bit redundant as befits the Department of Overkill Engineering.

Iím getting old and crunchy enough that getting out the back emergency exit window would be a clumsy and painful fall, most likely.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I see a couple of door handle mods in my future. Thanks!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Rmkrum,

I am not exactly sure what a footman loop is. Can you post a picture, please.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I just got my footman loop. A couple 1/4-20 rivnuts will be swaged into the door skin, and a daub of blue locktite will be there when I put the screws in.
DaveP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Corona , California
See post 26 for a picture and ordering information.
Basically a footman loop is a small handle about an inch or so wide that you typically use to anchor a strap. In this case itís 5 inches long and low enough profile to fit behind the screen door and still allow you to grab it with your fingers to close the door.

« Bargman L200 Lock | Top | - »