Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2002, 11:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy Bent Trailer Door

New to the Forum. Recently found and purchased a 1974 Argosy 24' Travel Trailer. In good shape (most everything works). Prior owner(s) did not winterize well (that's why it was so cheap and have just finished replacing the cold lines (PEX tubing). Hooked up the water line, and guess what - hot line leaks too. (anyone know what "type L.H.M.P." pipe is?)

But my question is this: the outside door on my trailer when closed is bent out at the top and bottom. It seems the door bent back when it was open (non locked door trailering accident?) around the convex trailer. I would like to remove the door (how?) and bend it (any suggestions? watch-outs?) back so it fits nicely when closed. The top and bottom of the door extend about 2" when closed and I am concerned with leaks / rain splash when trailering.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Love the forum! Fun reading. Encouraging too when you see your project is not the only REALLY fun one.
Argosy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Bent door

If you put a 2x4 between the door and frame, you can use it as a pivot and push or pull on the door. This works well for normal production fits. 2" is a lot, it had to stretch the extrusion that makes the door frame. It will take a lot of work to get it bent back into shape. Don't push on the skin (maybe even pull the skins, they won't resist you trying to straighten it, and it will give you more options on places for leverage), work it slowly, aluminum responds better to slow and easy than one big hard push. It is going to take a suprising amount of force to bend it, there are a lot of angles in the extrusion. You will probably have to work it as 4 seperate corners, alternate around doing a little bit at a time.

There are studs in the hinges that are nutted inside the wall, but unless you have a bender this would be a lot easier to do on the trailer. It would be hard to clamp it well enough to hold the force you are going to need.

Good luck
John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
See our post in "Exterior Restorations" about your bent door.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Reply - thanks!

Thank you both - I did see another similar post that you referenced Andy.

I'll try the 2x4 first and then get more complex.

No real marks on the side of the trailer and the lock seems ok (and striker plate) - I think the real culprit was in transit - the guy I bought it from used a wooden broom handle to "make sure the door stays closed when trailering" - seemed funny at the time, I guess I know why now. He must of forgotten to lock the door and had it come open on the road.
Argosy74 is offline   Reply With Quote