Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Arrow Bear bends door

Hello, This is my first posting. I have a 72 International 27', recently got it. Well the last time I went up to work on it, a bear had grabbed the bottom corner and bent the door up, nearly in half. The framing piece of metal that wraps around the door snapped near the latch, but for the rest it is just bent. The bear did not go in and the latch held and the door can be locked. I was able to bend it back to a somewhat reasonable shape, but of course it will not seal and be waterproof this winter. I priced new doors at $2,500. I am going to take the door off and bring it to an autobody shop as the trailer is not towable at the moment. Do you think with some major effort at providing a big seal that I could get it to be waterproof this winter, after of course the autobody shop does some work on it, or should I just get another door? I can't afford a new one, where can I look for a used one? Thanks for any advice.
maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Man! That bear must have thought your trailer was a big ice chest! Did you have foor stored inside? Where was it parked?

Sorry I can't help with the door fix, just curious about the bear...scary!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I have worked with my Airstream door and also worked extensivly with custom automotive body work. If you take the door to the body shop I would take the whole trailer as they will need it to make a proper repair and fix. The door in many cases is easier to form if attached to the trailer. If they can't fix it for a reasonable amount of money consider finding another used door from a "parts Airstream". Many Airstream dealers have a few parts trailers close at hand. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Hi Maxie and welcome to the forums. Man that bear must have been hungry.
I have a door that came off a '68 Ambassador which my son-in-law parted out. It's in nice shape. If you will PM me your email address, I'll send you photos and full info.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I have a door that came off a '68 Ambassador which my son-in-law parted out. It's in nice shape. If you will PM me your email address, I'll send you photos and full info.
Between '68 vs '72 there were quite a few body changes in trailers. You may want to triple check to make sure the dimensions & curvature of the door/frame are compatable...I would be very surprised if they are. I hope it works, but...even doors from different trailers of the same year vary from one to another. I'd hate to pay the expense to ship it from Michigan to California only to have it arrive & not work as planned. Good luck ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Try contacting Colaw RV salvage. www.colawrvsalvage.com about the door you need. Don't be scared off by the lack of info on their website - call them!

Also keep an eye out for folks "parting out" deceased trailers - you should be able to find this part.

I have trouble believing that any auto body shop will be able repair this door to your satisfaction.

Sorry for the bear encounter - at least you weren't in it at the time!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Other coast

I have been looking at getting this trailer about 1/2 mile from me, for parts that I need. I want the propane tanks, the roof vent for the fridge, and the door lock. If I get it, you can buy the door, but it would be pricy. I would say it is a 1971 or 72 trailer.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=16098

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Between '68 vs '72 there were quite a few body changes in trailers. You may want to triple check to make sure the dimensions & curvature of the door/frame are compatable...I would be very surprised if they are. I hope it works, but...even doors from different trailers of the same year vary from one to another. I'd hate to pay the expense to ship it from Michigan to California only to have it arrive & not work as planned. Good luck ~
Shari
Quite correct, Shari. There is no way I would ship it without first verifying that it would fit.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have seen both the 68 and the 72 door and I don't think they will interchange. I will go back and look at the pictures, but IIRC the 68 has a different latch assembly. Also there was a change in the extrusion style, but I don't remember if it was 68-70 or a little later.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #10
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Question Mercy!!

Maxie so glad you are ok. Can you post a picture of the door? You've come to the right place for help!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

You might try one of the RV salavage companies around the country. There is one in Carthage MO. Colaw RV Parts & Salvage. Their toll free number is 877-548-2125. Their web page www.colawrvsalvage.com

Jim
61Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i have a similar issue with the door on my '59. no bear, though. the suicide door flew open during transit, and i guess when it hit the body, it snapped in the exact place you are talking about. i am planning on rebuilding the door anyway. but will need to find someone to make the curved channel that makes the edge. i had thought about just grafting a plate over the break, but since the break is right at the latch, i don't think there is room. it makes my door extremely flimsy, though, and when towing pulls away from the body just as you describe. on my door at least, the outer piece is the only complicated curve. the rest seems pretty straight forward. i would definitely agree that the door needs to be with the trailer, to insure a propper curve to fit the body. i was even thinking about making the door slightly more curved than the body, to make sure the lower corners stay tight against the body when towing.

them's the plans, anyway.

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I think thems good plans. I had the same thing happen but my door came completely off while cruising down I-40 east of Flagstaff. Riveted it back on and haven't done a thing to it since. That was 4 years ago. It needs some reshaping and a new skin on the inside top but that's it. I was lucky.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:35 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the replies

Wow, How great to log in and see so many useful replies. No there was no food, so the bear walked away, leaving the delicate little screen door intact. I will bring a camera up this weekend and take a photo. I will also get the dimensions of the door. I will also look at the salvage possibilities mentioned in this thread. Sounds too that if I am going to try the auto body repair route that I better arrange for getting it off the mountain and to the shop. So much to investigate, hope the rain stays away for a while longer. I have a feeling the bear just got me going on all sorts of work I would like to do with my new old Airstream. Thanks again everybody.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

How much would you pay for an excellent door that would fit?
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
but will need to find someone to make the curved channel that makes the edge. i had thought about just grafting a plate over the break, but since the break is right at the latch, i don't think there is room.
i was even thinking about making the door slightly more curved than the body, to make sure the lower corners stay tight against the body when towing.

them's the plans, anyway.
A-Merry- Can.... I have done exactly what you are planning to do. When I purchaced the Airstream the door had spread over a half an inch at the top and bottom. Three layers of mickey mouse rubber seal to fill the gap was unacceptable.

I took some 1/8 inch aluminum plate and cut a curved piece that was fairly easy to rivit in place. There was lots of room for the plate and the door is very study now. I also did as you suggest. Made sure the corners were nice and tight. Will try to find an image of the fix and will post it.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know this thread reminds me of a picture my next door neighbor showed me of a trip he and his buddies took when they took an Airstream to Alaska back in the mid 60s to early 70s.

He told me they cooked breakfast, ate, went out fishing and when they came back a bear had torn off a good section of the rear outer skin, tore out the insulation in the area an did actually get into the inner skin a bit.

I have to borrow that picture and scan it in...it was surreal.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #18
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
A-Merry- Can.... I have done exactly what you are planning to do. When I purchaced the Airstream the door had spread over a half an inch at the top and bottom. Three layers of mickey mouse rubber seal to fill the gap was unacceptable.

I took some 1/8 inch aluminum plate and cut a curved piece that was fairly easy to rivit in place. There was lots of room for the plate and the door is very study now. I also did as you suggest. Made sure the corners were nice and tight. Will try to find an image of the fix and will post it.
man, that would be GREAT to see how you did it. my door is made out of 4 pieces riveted together. my plan is to make the new one out of one piece of 040. both the thickness and single plane construction should make it incredibly more rigid, at least horizontally. the bend, however will need to be addressed. you can see the crack at the latch in the photos. you can also see how much it bows out. if i press lightly on it, the door will fit really snug, it just bends at the crack. my door doesn't have a deadbolt either. i will probably add one, so the strengthening plate you suggest sounds like something i should definitely look into. i look forward to your pics!

also, does anyone know of a supplier for the plastic catch plate for teh door latch? mine is missing that as well. when i get done with this '59, about the only original parts left will be the end caps.

jordan
Attached Images

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
How much would you pay for an excellent door that would fit?
I know what a new one would cost before shipping. My goal is to get it back into shape so there are no leaks. I haven't done enough salvage investigating to get an idea of what the right price would be. Why are you asking? Do you know yourself what a fair price would be for "an excellent door that would fit?" I need to consider the fixes advised in here as well. Of course all this is in the context of winter coming on and the whole works being under several feet of snow for 5-6 months. I have another little leak in the roof that I think I can get with some sealant on the seams and around the vents; although i have no idea where it is coming in.