Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Asbestos? & Part Location

Here are a couple of questions that someone may have some help for us.

1. This is the light housing above the curbside goucho. there is a little wood shelf that is fitted above the light fixture. The piece in between is it asbestos? if so it is crumbling and I would like to replace it with something??? Does anyone have any ideas for a heat sheild? between the two?

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7599.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	38136

2. Another neat invention by the Bargman company. Can you still buy these or is there something similar. Of course it has rusted and the little wheel has ceased. The door in door slides along the tracke when you are opening and closing the main door when you want the screen open.

Name:	100_7609.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	38137[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7612.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	38139[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7612.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	38139

I have not tried to restore it yet - but that may be me alternative if I can not find a new one??

Thanks for any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_7610.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	38138  

Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Peter-

Not so sure what is around your lighting fixture. Someone here will know since I won't be taking mine apart for a while. As for the exterior door catch, just picked one up from Vintage Trailer Supply Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
My guess is that you'll need to salvage the little door runner. A little wheel might come from screen door hardware or maybe a small ball bearing assy.

A piece of concrete "wonderboard" could be used to replace the crumbling insultion.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You can likely replace the roller with a furniture drawer roller from a good hardware store.

Regarding the asbestos - if it's stable enough to put back it is best left alone. Sealing the edges would be a good idea to prevent futher breakdown. Coat the edges with an enamel paint - high heat engine type - and stay away from the stuff.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi guys

Sorry I did not get back to you - I must have changed my settings they normally send an e-mail notifying responses to threads..

Nevertheless - thanks for responding.

Rickandsandi - that catch is what we installed on our 69 - but this 63 has a suicide door meaning that it opens forward rather than aft.

It has to have a little roller in order for the door in door to slide back and forth in the track.

Thanks for the ideas on the little roller replacement - I guess we will have to restore the little catch.

If that stuff is asbestos I want it out - so I am thinking a few sheets of cut aluminum as the sheild inbetween.?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Insulating board

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi guys

Sorry I did not get back to you - I must have changed my settings they normally send an e-mail notifying responses to threads..

Nevertheless - thanks for responding.

Rickandsandi - that catch is what we installed on our 69 - but this 63 has a suicide door meaning that it opens forward rather than aft.

It has to have a little roller in order for the door in door to slide back and forth in the track.

Thanks for the ideas on the little roller replacement - I guess we will have to restore the little catch.

If that stuff is asbestos I want it out - so I am thinking a few sheets of cut aluminum as the sheild inbetween.?
Peter, It most probably is asbestos used to insulate the part of the fixture to keep down any heat transfer from the light to the surrounding area. If it is crumbling it is very dangerous to your health! Wet it thoroughly and remove it and use a vacuum with a micron hepa filter to suck up any loose debris. Make sure you are not exposed to any dust by wearing a good filtered mask. Breathing in the dust can have serious lung health issues in the future for you or anyone else exposed. I would replace it with some type of rigid insulation board rather than a concrete backer board that has no real insulating value. As for the keeper roller assembly on the door-in-a-door, I would remove it and clean off all the rust. Remove the frozen roller (even if you must drill the mounting stud off the support arm) and replace it with a nylon type roller and stud like the ones used on home aluminum shower doors tracks. They would hold up better than metal ones and glide better. The next choice would be the automotive type rollers that are used on some models of sliding side doors on vans and mini vans. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks for the restore tip BigEd I will work on that next week.

Also the tip on the heat shields will definitely take care in removing them too.

Soaking them is a great idea. Only held on by 4 rivets so with a mask I should be okay.

If not I will see you at the pearly gates when I am about 80 or so. But I am planning on airstreaming until I am 93!!!