Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Loomis , California
ARGOSY Door Lock Repair/Replace

The door lock on my 1976 Argosy does not lock and is about to break key off. Has anyone out there been able to repair or replace such a problem?
Phly36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Pic please. There were some cross over locks during this period. jjustice
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
locks

A good full service locksmith is a good place to start. We were able to get ours done. We have a 1978 Argosy Minuet.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phly36 View Post
The door lock on my 1976 Argosy does not lock and is about to break key off. Has anyone out there been able to repair or replace such a problem?
Your lock is called a "KT" lock.

It's unique to Airstream "ONLY".

Therefore a locksmith will not have any parts for it.

Some Airstream dealers can overhaul that lock for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
helpful thread

You may want to read through this thread about the KT Lock.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ion-73252.html

We may have been lucky in dealing with our 3 generation old time locksmith who is local. They were successful in finding parts and getting ours working. If you have a locksmith that has been around awhile you might get lucky. It is worth asking. Don't know if our 78 Argosy Minuet has the KT lock.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
You may want to read through this thread about the KT Lock.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ion-73252.html

We may have been lucky in dealing with our 3 generation old time locksmith who is local. They were successful in finding parts and getting ours working. If you have a locksmith that has been around awhile you might get lucky. It is worth asking. Don't know if our 78 Argosy Minuet has the KT lock.
KT locksd were used on the 1970 to 1977 models, both Argosy (when they came to be) and Airstream.

1978's used Keeler Brass locks.

Andy
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Success

If your door handle and lock looks like this. Yes, I have had success in getting mine to work again.
Attached Images

TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Andy

Question for Andy at Inland. What year trailers had the L77 Lock set?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
KT locksd were used on the 1970 to 1977 models, both Argosy (when they came to be) and Airstream.

1978's used Keeler Brass locks.

Andy
Thanks, Andy! I will write that down somewhere.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Old, old, real old Airstreams.

I am not positive, but late 50's.

Andy
Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
59 & 60
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
I had to replace my door lock in my '78 Argosy 27'. When I ordered from AS they sent me the squarish looking one that was the correct one for the '78s but I found out that AS back in the '70s sometimes used parts from previous yrs and that was my case. So my lock is the rectangle lock and the replacement came from - - you guessed it-- China. The lock cylinder lasted a whopping six months before it jammed. I contacted AS and they sent me a replacement cylinder with a new set of keys but I would need to take the whole assembly off the door to replace the cylinder and that means a repainting the door (Argosy remember) and thus it won't happen. So I disabled the locking mechanism and place an external lock at the bottom of the door. It keeps the door secure while we go down the road but won't keep an intruder out. I was not a happy camper when the new lock broke in less than 7 months from being installed. AND by the way the new China lock cost over $450!!!! Someone made a great deal of profit on that sale.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustice View Post
I had to replace my door lock in my '78 Argosy 27'. When I ordered from AS they sent me the squarish looking one that was the correct one for the '78s but I found out that AS back in the '70s sometimes used parts from previous yrs and that was my case. So my lock is the rectangle lock and the replacement came from - - you guessed it-- China. The lock cylinder lasted a whopping six months before it jammed. I contacted AS and they sent me a replacement cylinder with a new set of keys but I would need to take the whole assembly off the door to replace the cylinder and that means a repainting the door (Argosy remember) and thus it won't happen. So I disabled the locking mechanism and place an external lock at the bottom of the door. It keeps the door secure while we go down the road but won't keep an intruder out. I was not a happy camper when the new lock broke in less than 7 months from being installed. AND by the way the new China lock cost over $450!!!! Someone made a great deal of profit on that sale.
Sounds like you have the KT lock.

If so, the tumbler can be changed out in 30 seconds, without ever having to remove the lock.

Andy
Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Yeah, that is sad isn't it. I've seen pitted old KT locks without keys go on ebay for $250. My best suggestion for you is to install a dead bolt. This gives you great security. They are available through Vintage Trailer Supply. com & other suppliers. I typically drill & tap the end of the dead bolt & install a 3/8 SS hex bolt & cut off the head. This allows you to offset the cylinder slightly & minimize the size of the hole in the door frame & door. This retains as much of the strength in the door & frame structure as possible. The cylinder should be installed in the wall, not the door.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
West Allis , Wisconsin
Argosy 24 door latch

Where can I purchase a door latch for an Argosy 24? The latch is manufactured by Bargman. I'm wondering if there is a retrofit replacement which will work without all the Bargman problems like the door flying open when you're going down the road and other horror stories that I hear.
btophek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy with the infamous KT lock. I purchased a new lock cylinder and key and installed it. The problem with my KT lock is that the hole where the cylinder is located is sooo worn that the cylinder is lose. The new lock pin from VTS is not an exact replica of the original; this combination is not very reliable. I can lock and unlock the KT mechanism, but there are times it takes a lot of fiddling to get it done.
I just decided that getting locked out wasn't worth the hassle of trying to lock the door with the KT lock assembly. So I bit the bullet so to speak and installed a deadbolt lock mechanism.
It took a bit of thinking because there is no room to install the dead bolt in the door and have access to the inside lock handle without modifying the screen door.
So I decided to install the lock mechanism in the trailer body and have the bolt go into the door. I've attached a few photos. It works great by the way.
The door on my Argosy is extruded aluminum. I'm not sure if this set up would work on a door with a cast frame since it requires cutting thru one side of the frame, because the door frame is so thin. You can see the frame reinforcement plate that I fabricated for the inside of the door in order that the bolt is held by more than just the striker plate on the edge of the door.
A couple of days ago I did see an add either on eBay or here in the classifieds, 2 NOS (new old stock) KT locks; One was $375.00 and the other $425.00.
It cost me less than $25.00 to install the dead bolt. Just bought a regular single dead bolt at the big box store. Made sure I got one with a long stroke bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Jamb.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	134916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Dead bolt.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	134917  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge Of Door.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	134918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Out Side.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	134919  

Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Andy,
I would like to have someone go over the steps in doing that. I could not find how to get in there to makethe switch. jjustice
Old 07-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
I would like to have someone go over the steps in doing that. I could not find how to get in there to makethe switch. jjustice
Get a #8 sheetmetal screw about one inch long.

Screw it into the tumbler about 1/4 inch.

Have a small piece of thin plywood handy, along with a claw hammer.

Place the wood below the tumbler to protect the sheetmetal.

Place the claw hammer on the wood and grab the screw with the claw.

Give it a quick "YANK".

That's it, the tumbler will easily pull out.

Andy
Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
Those switches

Quote:
I have a '74 Argosy with the infamous KT lock. I purchased a new lock cylinder and key and installed it. The problem with my KT lock is that the hole where the cylinder is located is sooo worn that the cylinder is lose. The new lock pin from VTS is not an exact replica of the original; this combination is not very reliable. I can lock and unlock the KT mechanism, but there are times it takes a lot of fiddling to get it done.
I just decided that getting locked out wasn't worth the hassle of trying to lock the door with the KT lock assembly. So I bit the bullet so to speak and installed a deadbolt lock mechanism.
It took a bit of thinking because there is no room to install the dead bolt in the door and have access to the inside lock handle without modifying the screen door.
So I decided to install the lock mechanism in the trailer body and have the bolt go into the door. I've attached a few photos. It works great by the way.
The door on my Argosy is extruded aluminum. I'm not sure if this set up would work on a door with a cast frame since it requires cutting thru one side of the frame, because the door frame is so thin. You can see the frame reinforcement plate that I fabricated for the inside of the door in order that the bolt is held by more than just the striker plate on the edge of the door.
A couple of days ago I did see an add either on eBay or here in the classifieds, 2 NOS (new old stock) KT locks; One was $375.00 and the other $425.00.
It cost me less than $25.00 to install the dead bolt. Just bought a regular single dead bolt at the big box store. Made sure I got one with a long stroke bolt.

I know this has nothing to do with the lock, although I am planning on replacing the tumbler and it's good to know it's not an exact fit. Anywho, TG, what are the 2 switches to the left of your door in the picture. I have figured out one goes to the light outside but can't figure out what the other one is.
CordellCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #20
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
If it was made by Bargeman there is a small stamped code somewhere on it that a decent locksmith can look up the code and cut a new key by the code alone. I took my whole handle/lock set in to Hubers Lock and Safe near me in Victoria BC because I was frustrated with the looseness of the key in the handle, I was just planning to get him to re tumble it. Turned out the key I had wasn't even made for the trailer it just kinda worked, but not really.... they looked up the code online, cut me a proper key and now I am happy :-)

1969 Airstream Safari
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote