Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
West Allis , Wisconsin
Argosy 24 door latch

Where can I purchase a door latch for an Argosy 24? The latch is manufactured by Bargman. I'm wondering if there is a retrofit replacement which will work without all the Bargman problems like the door flying open when you're going down the road and other horror stories that I hear.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy with the infamous KT lock. I purchased a new lock cylinder and key and installed it. The problem with my KT lock is that the hole where the cylinder is located is sooo worn that the cylinder is lose. The new lock pin from VTS is not an exact replica of the original; this combination is not very reliable. I can lock and unlock the KT mechanism, but there are times it takes a lot of fiddling to get it done.
I just decided that getting locked out wasn't worth the hassle of trying to lock the door with the KT lock assembly. So I bit the bullet so to speak and installed a deadbolt lock mechanism.
It took a bit of thinking because there is no room to install the dead bolt in the door and have access to the inside lock handle without modifying the screen door.
So I decided to install the lock mechanism in the trailer body and have the bolt go into the door. I've attached a few photos. It works great by the way.
The door on my Argosy is extruded aluminum. I'm not sure if this set up would work on a door with a cast frame since it requires cutting thru one side of the frame, because the door frame is so thin. You can see the frame reinforcement plate that I fabricated for the inside of the door in order that the bolt is held by more than just the striker plate on the edge of the door.
A couple of days ago I did see an add either on eBay or here in the classifieds, 2 NOS (new old stock) KT locks; One was $375.00 and the other $425.00.
It cost me less than $25.00 to install the dead bolt. Just bought a regular single dead bolt at the big box store. Made sure I got one with a long stroke bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Jamb.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	134916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Dead bolt.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	134917  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge Of Door.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	134918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Out Side.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	134919  

Old 07-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Andy,
I would like to have someone go over the steps in doing that. I could not find how to get in there to makethe switch. jjustice
Old 07-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustice View Post
Andy,
I would like to have someone go over the steps in doing that. I could not find how to get in there to makethe switch. jjustice
Get a #8 sheetmetal screw about one inch long.

Screw it into the tumbler about 1/4 inch.

Have a small piece of thin plywood handy, along with a claw hammer.

Place the wood below the tumbler to protect the sheetmetal.

Place the claw hammer on the wood and grab the screw with the claw.

Give it a quick "YANK".

That's it, the tumbler will easily pull out.

Andy
Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
Those switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I have a '74 Argosy with the infamous KT lock. I purchased a new lock cylinder and key and installed it. The problem with my KT lock is that the hole where the cylinder is located is sooo worn that the cylinder is lose. The new lock pin from VTS is not an exact replica of the original; this combination is not very reliable. I can lock and unlock the KT mechanism, but there are times it takes a lot of fiddling to get it done.
I just decided that getting locked out wasn't worth the hassle of trying to lock the door with the KT lock assembly. So I bit the bullet so to speak and installed a deadbolt lock mechanism.
It took a bit of thinking because there is no room to install the dead bolt in the door and have access to the inside lock handle without modifying the screen door.
So I decided to install the lock mechanism in the trailer body and have the bolt go into the door. I've attached a few photos. It works great by the way.
The door on my Argosy is extruded aluminum. I'm not sure if this set up would work on a door with a cast frame since it requires cutting thru one side of the frame, because the door frame is so thin. You can see the frame reinforcement plate that I fabricated for the inside of the door in order that the bolt is held by more than just the striker plate on the edge of the door.
A couple of days ago I did see an add either on eBay or here in the classifieds, 2 NOS (new old stock) KT locks; One was $375.00 and the other $425.00.
It cost me less than $25.00 to install the dead bolt. Just bought a regular single dead bolt at the big box store. Made sure I got one with a long stroke bolt.

I know this has nothing to do with the lock, although I am planning on replacing the tumbler and it's good to know it's not an exact fit. Anywho, TG, what are the 2 switches to the left of your door in the picture. I have figured out one goes to the light outside but can't figure out what the other one is.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #20
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
If it was made by Bargeman there is a small stamped code somewhere on it that a decent locksmith can look up the code and cut a new key by the code alone. I took my whole handle/lock set in to Hubers Lock and Safe near me in Victoria BC because I was frustrated with the looseness of the key in the handle, I was just planning to get him to re tumble it. Turned out the key I had wasn't even made for the trailer it just kinda worked, but not really.... they looked up the code online, cut me a proper key and now I am happy :-)

1969 Airstream Safari
Old 04-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile door locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordellCampr View Post
I know this has nothing to do with the lock, although I am planning on replacing the tumbler and it's good to know it's not an exact fit. Anywho, TG, what are the 2 switches to the left of your door in the picture. I have figured out one goes to the light outside but can't figure out what the other one is.
A lot of earlier AS have 2 swts. when facing door from outside,1 over door light other scare light [out side flood light on door side just before front curved panels] they are in front of side window at top of window level, other wise some else will no what other swt. is for I only no of this use. Bill
Old 04-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Posted else where on forums, a simple block of wood cut to pattern shown will keep AS great engineering idea of suicide doors from flying open.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The 2 switches are the scare light and over door light. Scare light is the round fixture on the right side as you enter the coach.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #24
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
in my trailer there is only one exterior light and the second switch operates the midship light, the one in the center of the ceiling just before the bathroom. That ceiling light also has its own switch and must be switched to an on position for the wall rocker switch to operate it. Many, many a new airstream owner has thought they had a defective wiring or light just to find out they didn't know what that second switch did. I was one of them :-)