Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
martinez , California
Argosy door lock

Hi,

My 1978 Argosy is missing the door lock tumbler. I'm thinking of replacing the entire door latch with an aircraft door latch like the one used by Beachcraft. Has anyone here attempted this modification? Any suggestions?

UJ
Uncle Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
On occasion an Argosy might be salvaged for parts -- hard to tell when but you really have to keep your ear to the ground here. Or try contacting somebody like COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | WE HAVE YOUR PART! (another link). You'd like to stay close to original because the doorframe hole for the striker shouldn't be enlarged. Another option that will work with original is Inland RV Parts, part #22200 for the entire kit -- or I believe Inland has the individual KT lock cores available.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
tumbler

We have a 1978 Argosy 6.7 metre Minuet. We had the tumbler changed and 6 keys made at our local lock shop. Very inexpensive!!! If that is all that is wrong with yours it would be way cheaper to check out your local locksmith.

Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A tumbler is maybe $20 or so, to replace the whole works with the available kit is about $250, give or take a few bucks, from Inland RV. New replacement is around $400, if you can find one.
Try a new tumbler first, if it doesn't work you aren't out much, and then you can get creative.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
martinez , California
Argosy door lock tumbler

Took the whole lock out and drove it to the local locksmith. He looked at it in a matter of fact way and said, "horse trailer?". To which I replied, "Airstream Argosy". " Same thing", he said, "call you in a few days."
Hope the news is good when he calls.

UJ
Old 05-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
martinez , California
1978 Argosy Door Lock

Well the locksmith called and told me he replaced the missing tumbler. Went and picked it up. The bill was $40 and it works fine. This is good news as I was ready to spend big bucks on a upgrade kit. If anyone has a simular problem Bomac Locksmiths in Walnut Creek CA can fix it.

UJ
Old 05-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
Well the locksmith called and told me he replaced the missing tumbler. Went and picked it up. The bill was $40 and it works fine. This is good news as I was ready to spend big bucks on a upgrade kit. If anyone has a simular problem Bomac Locksmiths in Walnut Creek CA can fix it.

UJ
Sometimes, you get the bear.
Sometimes, the bear gets you.
Looks like you got the bear this time.
I have always said I would rather be lucky than smart...
Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Yay!

We are so glad this worked for you! This is the way the forums is supposed to work! You ask the question and then hope somebody has a good answer and that it works for you too. Great site!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote