Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #57
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by MIKO92 View Post
Hello, all.
I am very thankful for the advice and experiences of the whole forum. Thanks to Andy from Inland RV who took time while in Hawaii to write!

I installed a home made striker plate (attachment 1) and got the door closing flush. Attachment 2 shows a top view of the striker plate. Note that the hole (pocket) is outside of the pocket in the door jamb (attachment 3) and the striker plate sticks this normal? I put on new inner skins and made sure the door fit flush.

Then I installed the weather seal, and it got in the way. The seal was getting between the door and the striker, keeping it from closing and latching (where the yellow 3M sealant is in attachment 4) , so I trimmed the seal, but now I am not too sure whether that is the way things usually go...because the striker plate was hitting the seal (where the yellow 3M sealant is in attachment 4).

When the door fits flush from the outside, the seal has about 1/4 inch of sunlight coming through the top of the door frame. What is the next step?

The frame, incidentally, is from another airstream of unknown year or type. The shop that painted the ARGOSY had a frame that wasn't cracked, like the one I got from the PO, so they skinned it and painted it and it is what is hanging in my doorway, now...kind of like getting a new door I suppose. Is it possible that the frame I got was the "wrong" size? How much door size variation is there between model years?

Thanks alot for the time and I really am enjoying this...
MIKO in Tennessee.
Looks good, but, one problem.

The sharp edge of your striker pocket will cut a groove into the striker bolr, as the trailer moves.

There is a brass shim that Airstream uses on other striker pockets to avoid the issue.

But, in your case, the shim would have to be added from the outside, inside of the inside as designed.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Thanks, Andy. I appreciate the time.
I have one more question: if one were to take the door off (leaving the hinges on the trailer) and make a jig to reshape the door (skins off), then one shapes the frame, attaches the skins and the door is does one get the door back on the hinges without taking the skins off (again!?) to access the hinges? Should one remove the hinges, and keep them on the door through this whole process? Thank you, Shannon.

MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
reskinning the door - then what to do with hinges??

Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
So the door of my '59 Flying Cloud is a little tweaked and the rivets of the door skin are mostly all loose. To follow the process of straightening the door by re-riveting how does one go about removing the door from the hinges? Do the hinge pins come out on a '59? Do I drill out all the rivets from the hinges on the body or just the ones on the door? I probably will remove at least the bottom hinge from the body because it seems a little sloppy and I want to reinforce behind it. If I do remove the rivets from the body what is the best way to re-attach the hinges, rivets or stainless bolts?
I didn't see any reply to Tony, so I will request any input from others about how to get the door back on, or the hinges back on...or how this is supposed to get done?
Shannon in Tennessee
MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
Door misaligned-how much would expect to pay for a door realignment?
Newbie-just bought a '97 excella
Knudsvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member
1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
I am not sure if my door has necessarily sprung or not but it's definitely deformed at the top!
I would appreciate some direction in how to repair this....I'm guessing a heat gun and welding pliers?? I've attached some photos. Thanks in advance for any help!!!
(The sides of the door are just's the top that is mangled.)

painterfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #62
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas

The PO and I had a brief discussion about the sprung/warped door as evidenced by the top surface not even with the skin, non original top hinge, non original door latch/handle and the strange built up caulking on the top of the door.

He claimed it didn't leak, not true. Last night it rained pretty hard, great time for leak checks.

Thanks for all of the previous posts on this thread.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member
Hunt , Texas
Bambi with a warped

I have a 2002 Bambi, 19' with a slight warped in the top of the door on the lock side. It is about 1/2 inch from being flush with the skin on the door jamb. I do not know what caused the opening, but I do not remember it being warped last year. Question: Is the door frame a cast frame? Suggestions for restoring the door to exact fit would be appreciated.

AirVet is offline   Reply With Quote