Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
2008 19' International
Franklin , North Carolina
Another Door Dead Bolt Question

Had some trouble with my door lock, specifically the tumbler. Replaced the part, then abruptly locked my freaking keys in the camper. Long story short my new tumbler is no longer operational. And frankly sick of messing with the thing.
Have you seen or do you know of or have pics of a household dead bolt installation in the door?
rc707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc707 View Post
Had some trouble with my door lock, specifically the tumbler. Replaced the part, then abruptly locked my freaking keys in the camper. Long story short my new tumbler is no longer operational. And frankly sick of messing with the thing.
Have you seen or do you know of or have pics of a household dead bolt installation in the door?
Take a look at what Daisy Welch did here: airstream.html

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Getting into your trailer is easy.

Not sure how you locked the keys inside, since slamming the door should not allow the lock to engage.

If you don't get into the coach, call me tomorrow and I will tell you how to do it. 800-8777311

Posting the info, would just be a great help to a thief.

Adding a dead bolt in the door that has an extruded aluminum frame, is not a good idea, since you will weaken the frame.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
2008 19' International
I can safely say the door hadn't locked its self. Before I locked myself out of AS, I was testing the mechanism. The new tumbler was not operating as expected. After further review I found as the tumbler was being spun with the key, the nipple on the backside of the tumbler was striking the bolt and turning it causing both units to bind with one another. I then replaced the knurled shaft on the inside of the door to prevent the bolt from spinning. It worked, however still wanted to bind occasionally. I mentally wrote it off as a new part needing to work itself into the new position.

You know the rest of the story!! I have only 2 options at this point, that I know of that are cost effective: (if anyone else has ideas, lets hear'em)
  1. Buy a new tumbler and start over. Hoping this time I dont screw it up!
  2. Install the (household) dead bolt and not worry about locking my pets in the camper while doin the thing.
Not getting alot of feedback on the dead bolt. I hoped this was an alternate route around the faulty door assembly. Before I close I would like to add: I dont like the though of spending hundreds of dollars on a new handle, SO DONT MENTION IT
Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Airstream in Jackson center installed a Stainless steel keyed house type dead bolt for me. My door only had the handle lock in it. They drilled the hole and pocket. It's one of the best upgrades I had done on this trailer. It's been in use now for 4 years.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Airstream in Jackson center installed a Stainless steel keyed house type dead bolt for me. My door only had the handle lock in it. They drilled the hole and pocket. It's one of the best upgrades I had done on this trailer. It's been in use now for 4 years.
Installing a dead bolt, weakens the entrance door frame, be it cast, or extruded.

Of course, the factory is always glad to sell you a new door, for a couple of thousand dollars, plus installation, plus correcting a rotten floor at the door.

Andy
Old 05-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
2008 19' International
Bluto,

Are you having any trouble with the door? Leaks, cracking around the lock or floor problems? Its known that too much tongue lift or pressure when leveling your trailer causes a great deal of torque that can be visually measured at the door. Have you had any experience with this problem? Was the dead bolt installed in the door or the wall? Did they oblong the striker plate door to compensate for the torque and twisting?

Andy,

Is there really a problem associated cracking, breaking or otherwise door replacement if you install a dead bolt in the door? Has this actually happened? I cant recall of EVER hearing someone replacing a door that was directly related to the installation of a dead bolt. What is so structually differant from the hole thats already in the door?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
deadbolt

Several posters here have installed house-hold type deadbolts, including me, with no discernible negative results. PM me for more info if you like. -tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1523_IMG.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	79531  
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The actual lock is in the body(wall) and the striker is in the door. I believe the striker is cut to fit. I have not had any problem at all. No leaks or binding or twisting. It may be because my trailer is short compared to ones Andy might be thinking of. I have never had a flex issue with my trailer in any situation, nor a door problem the whole time I have owned it. (22 years) It seems to me that the year model of my trailer seems to be real stout in everyway.
I have read that some people with the new trailers are having flex problems, window leaks, and door problems. Maybe there was a change in the way they make them or in the door design from then till now?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Bluto,
Andy,

Is there really a problem associated cracking, breaking or otherwise door replacement if you install a dead bolt in the door? Has this actually happened? I cant recall of EVER hearing someone replacing a door that was directly related to the installation of a dead bolt. What is so structually differant from the hole thats already in the door?
The lock itself, weaken s the door frame.

Adding most types of dead bolts, further weakens the frame.

Have the door slam a few times, and watch what happens.

This is true for both the cast type and extrusion type door frames.

We see warped doors all to many times, along with a rotted floor at the entrance door. Basic cause. Another dead bolt installation, using a huge dead bolt striker and poor installations.

Andy
Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Dead bolt

Sure is nice that the SQUARESTREAMS 1986 thru 1992 all came with dead bolt locks from the factory.
They also have a wider entery door than the Classic.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
2008 19' International
Where can I gets me one of those?