Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Alert-Broken door catch

This is just another way to have the suicide door do its evil work--the outer part of the door catch/receiver can fail. Fortunately, this happened on a slow road in Yosemite, so the only door/shell damage was a very slight dent in the skin.

The first photo (1970s model) is the door catch installed and the second photo is the broken casting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000524 installed-s.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	144349 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000565 broken-s.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	144350

The casting is curious--the side you think should be the strongest only has a bar across the lip, otherwise it's open on that side.

Name:	P1000520 view through-s.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	144351 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000523 end view-s.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	144352

A wooden "wedge" can provide a secondary safety for the door. This design has been documented in several other threads (thanks to BOONDOCKER and all who posted on his recent thread). The modification I offer here are the ears (there's one on the other side, too) that provide a bit more stability to the wedge (makes it impossible for the wedge to rotate and possibly fall out) and the relief(s) under the tongue that may be necessary, depending on your door trim and fit. I used this wedge for many miles on my Caravel when the lock jammed--the latch worked but couldn't be locked, which gave me the willies.

Name:	P1000562 wood wedge-s.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	144353 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000566 wood wedge steps-s.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	144354

This may have been a problem that was previously "fixed" by the PO. Once the receiver casting was removed, I noticed that the door rib was cut away on the exterior side, so the only thing that was keeping the door closed was that narrow bar in the casting. Maybe they had to cut their way in at one time.

I recommend using a piece of solid hardwood for the wedge, not plywood. The tongue is not very thick and I'd be concerned about water-caused delamination in plywood, even if you varnish the heck out of it.

Zep
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would and did install a dead bolt. The wedges have ben known to fall out.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote