Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
'89 Excella - factory mini deadbolt - How does it come apart?

Hey all. I am replacing the interior skin around the mini deadbolt - (its the one that has no key outside. It appears that the handle was driven into the lock at the factory, and that they put a safety ring on it so it won't slide off.

Any tips on getting it apart?
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You got a photo. My 81 has a deadbolt lock cylinder made into a grab handle to the right of the door and a knob on the inside to lock an unlock it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We have the sane airstream as you and my husband is a locksmith. We are trying to figure out which lock you mean. Is it the one with the thumb turn inside? Are you trying to remove the thumb turn so you remove the skin? Post a photo if you can and he will look at ours.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
I will upload a photo tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Also, Skatiero, we were not able to make it anywhere so far this year. I can only imagine how great springstream was though! I'm hoping to finish this thing up in the next month or so and then we'll get out!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I just got finished replacing the deadbolt lock on my 81 so I can tell you how it all works assuming yours is the same as mine.

Perry
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Hey guys! I was able to clean off the aluminum enough to where it looks perfect as is. No need to remove the thumb bolt anylonger.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Awesome! Post some pics of your progress!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
I will try today! I've been spending way too many hours in that thing
Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
WE need to meet up and compare mods! We have one a lot to ours and I am sure you have too! Post those pics!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Dead bolt in the door handle

I have an 84 Excella and the bolt part of the dead bolt has stopped operating (cannot extend the dead bolt with either the key or the thumb knob. I removed the thumb knob ( thumb knob turns freely as does the cylinder) and tried to pull out the square shaft to release the bolt assy but to no avail. How do I remove the bolt assy so that I can rebuild it.
Between me and my machinist buddy/mentor we can fabricate any part that can be clamped toa lathe or mil.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok is this what we are talking about or not? If yours is like this there are 4, 1/4-20 studs in the handle that hold it to the wall of the trailer. The lock cylinder is bolted to the handle with a couple of small screws. I had to replace the lock cylinder because the sorry PO tried to drill the lock and messed it up. I also had to make a spacer to go around the lock because the so called exact replacement was a different diameter. There is little gearbox that the square shaft goes through that makes the bolt go in and out. I expect your problem is there. You will have to remove a narrow strip of sheet metal or at least move it out of the way. You have to remove the window frame if there is one to the right of the door then remove the narrow strip by drilling any rivets out.

Perry
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Door Lock

That is exactly what I have. I was getting ready to drill the rivets and remove the inside door facade then drill more rivets to allow me to warp the inner skin to give me access. Thanks for the info, I will change my plan of attack. For now I have a block of wood that I made to fit tightly in the grab handle to prevent the door from accidently comming open.
Again, thank you
Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Thanks for posting pics! For people's future reference in the archives it will be very helpful to have the pics in the thread. Once I was able to effectively remove the crosshatch I didn't need to separate it anylonger.

I have the thumb turn mini deadbolt (non-keyed) in your last photos and was never able to get the interior knob off. I still have no idea how it would come off to separate the two halves of the lock.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
And speaking of posting pics. Here are my update photos I said I would post.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...air-88759.html
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The interior knob comes off with the two screws. It should fall off in your hand at that point. It maybe corroded on, especially if you have leaks in that area. There is a square shaft similiar to the shaft on an old fashion door knob but about half the size.

Perry
Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I expect the little box that the shaft fits through that is mounted to the door is stripped inside. I expect it is a crank type mechanism. You will have to drill out the rivets in the door to remove it and you may have to remove the handle as well. There is a little B-nut on the back of the lock that holds the shaft to the lock. If you can turn that you might not have to remove the handle. There will be a lot of that white putty crap in the way for sure.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
I have an 84 Excella and the bolt part of the dead bolt has stopped operating (cannot extend the dead bolt with either the key or the thumb knob. I removed the thumb knob ( thumb knob turns freely as does the cylinder) and tried to pull out the square shaft to release the bolt assy but to no avail. How do I remove the bolt assy so that I can rebuild it.
Between me and my machinist buddy/mentor we can fabricate any part that can be clamped toa lathe or mil.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Mini-Deadbolt

Ok, I drilled all the rivets and removed the inner door facing trim piece.

I drilled the rivets holding the inner skin to the door rib roughly 12 inches past the door handle top and bottom. Had to do this to enable me to warp the inner skin out enough to get my fat hand and a wrench (with a string tied to it incase I dropped it) and removed the two 1/4-20 nuts on the bottom of the handle and the top (covered partly by the dead bolt assembly) for a total of four nuts.

Pulled gently until the handle came off the side of the trailer, then pushed the door bell button out of the handle. Placed the handle back on the side of the trailer. This gave me enough wire to remove the door bell wires from the switch and tape each wire then push back through the grommet.

What was the goo they used to seal it all? It was white.

Drilled the rivets holding the dead bolt to the door facing and removed same from the doorfacing.

Drilled the rivets holding the dead bolt body together.

There are no gears in my unit just an arm connecting the piece the cylinder square rod goes through to the bolt itself.

What happened was the detent spring broke and jammed the piece the square rod goes through so that it wouldn't turn and move the bolt.

Now I have to find a spring.

Pictures to follow.
Jim
Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Mcmaster.com should have some springs. The white goo is an oil based caulk and not butyl as some have suggested. I would remove as much of that as you can and get the metal clean again and then seal with something like Trempro-635.

Perry
Old 06-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here is how I fixed mine...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post748212
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1984 34' Excella
St. Louis , Missouri
This is what we are doing now. We had to take out he wall panel… which meant removing the trim from the door frame and the trim from the window frame. Then you can get to the 4 bolts that hold the door handle and door bell. Then drill out the two rivets by the throw and it comes out.

In the process we broke the mounting holes. We are ordering a replacement throw which was available for $49 from airstream supply
mmette00 is offline   Reply With Quote