Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
1989 32' Excella
Helena , Alabama
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
Ok, I drilled all the rivets and removed the inner door facing trim piece.

I drilled the rivets holding the inner skin to the door rib roughly 12 inches past the door handle top and bottom. Had to do this to enable me to warp the inner skin out enough to get my fat hand and a wrench (with a string tied to it incase I dropped it) and removed the two 1/4-20 nuts on the bottom of the handle and the top (covered partly by the dead bolt assembly) for a total of four nuts.

Pulled gently until the handle came off the side of the trailer, then pushed the door bell button out of the handle. Placed the handle back on the side of the trailer. This gave me enough wire to remove the door bell wires from the switch and tape each wire then push back through the grommet.

What was the goo they used to seal it all? It was white.

Drilled the rivets holding the dead bolt to the door facing and removed same from the doorfacing.

Drilled the rivets holding the dead bolt body together.

There are no gears in my unit just an arm connecting the piece the cylinder square rod goes through to the bolt itself.

What happened was the detent spring broke and jammed the piece the square rod goes through so that it wouldn't turn and move the bolt.

Now I have to find a spring.

Pictures to follow.
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if you ever found a spring. I had the same thing happen and am thinking about putting it back together without a spring. It seems the over center feature will allow it to work normally, just without the positive feel of the spring. Also, what type of lubricant did you use before putting it back together? I see a small reservoir that I'm guessing is for additional lubricant, it's the circular cavity. It has a small opening to the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	208651  

Devain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would put some Moly Based wheel bearing grease in there. This is the black stuff. Moly will lube even when the grease is dried up.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1989 32' Excella
Helena , Alabama
Thanks Perry

Devain is offline   Reply With Quote