Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Kandyapple

1978 29' Ambassador
Princeton , Minnesota
'78 Landyacht Ambassabor door latch

Hello

I talked my hubby into getting a really neat 78 Airstream. We live in Mn and he drove to Egg Harbor WI to get it!! Nice guy. . Any way, mine is missing the door handle/pull thing. The lock & key work but have to open the door w a screwdriver!! I was directed to Inland Rv in Ca and they sent me an entire assembly and told me that I would have to cut into the door to install. It is a VERY good thing that I did not do this, It looked wrong to me so I sent it back and they called to tell me that they sent the one for an RV not a trailer. Then they charged me a 20% restocking fee when I told them I did not want them to send me another one as the door would have to be "modified".. Needless to say I will not be back!! Too bad for them as I am in the process of locating and buying a few more of these to use as guest campers at our lake place!! I am really hooked!!

Enough complaining. Can anyone tell me where to find a replacement for this pully thing??

Thanks

Kandy
Kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
For replacing the door lock on a 75 Ambassador using Andy's kit see
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...k/gallery.html

Since there isn't any "pull thing" on the door to pull it open, I am a bit confused. Maybe the lock handle lever is broken off?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums.
I drive through (around?) Princeton on HW 169 most every weekend on my way up to Spirit Lake near Aitkin where my AS is parked.
I can't help you with the latch. Sorry
Sounds like a neat idea using them for guest cabins.
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Kandy,

Guest cabins - great idea. My '59 Tradewind has made many trips through Milaca on the way to the lake. Great to have another Minnesota pin in the membership map!

Sounds like you took a real nick on the re-stocking fee. Especially if it wasn't your fault.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Kandy, bummer about the money. COntact forum member Rebel Beck by PM. She figured out a way to replace just the handle, IIRC, with the help of a local locksmith. She is on the forum most every day.

Welcome to the forums, BTW. Lots of nice folks here that help out if you need it.

Good luck with the "guest houses"! Sounds like a great idea.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
I have a 78 Excella 500 and have had problems with the door latch which required the use of a screwdriver to open from the outside. The problem was the "ears" on the bolt subassembly had broken off. I had a friend braze the "ears" from some scrap metal and it worked perfectly. That cost me a six pack of beer. The second problem was with the same subassembly, but this time the bolt that goes into the receiver hole on the door frame, broke off the assembly. I took it to a professional welder and they fixed it for $10.

Here is a blow-up of the lock from the service manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CH 3 Shell page (15).JPG
Views:	167
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	22357  
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Rivet Handle repair

Kandy,
Someone tried to break into the Excella in Ajo, Arizona a few years back, not withstanding the door was deadbolted, and broke the handle. Here's how I dealt with it:Included are pics. of the old damaged latch and two of the new one installed

I took a piece of 1/8" steel plate and bent one long edge to simulate the finger grip area. I rough sanded the outside across the short side to match the original. I welded two triangles made of the same stock to the back and drilled 1/4" holes to match the original. I did the final cut with an aircraft drill so the holes would be align-bored. After that I had it chrome plated.

You can see from the pics. how the latch is retained in the lock assembly with a long pin and a return spring.

It was a bit of a nuisance, but overall better than any alternative that I could find. Good luck &

Regards, Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	latch0002.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	22358   Click image for larger version

Name:	door latch 0004.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	22359  

Name:	door latch 0003.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	22360   Click image for larger version

Name:	door latch 0002.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	22361  

Name:	latch0001.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	22362  

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Hey, Kandy:
Welcome to the forums from another MinneSnowta Newbie from the great north of Grand Rapids.
You folks just don't go far enough on 169. (There is someone here that lives past me at the end of the highway in Ely, but I haven't spoken to them yet.)
JB
JBK is offline   Reply With Quote