Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
'78 Argosy Front Door Handle / Lock / Latch

Hey there all,

I have a 1978 30' Argosy Rear Bath Model with a shot front door lock/latch. The whole assembly needs replaced.

I've reviewed some previous threads and it looks like the KT lockset was used up to the 1977 Argosies, but not into the 1978 Models. Could anyone confirm this information?

And then the obvious next step would be for me to determine what I can use to replace this lockset/handle for this 1978 model year?

Thoughts would be appreciated!
mark
Markeyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I can't comment whether or not you have a KT lock (post some pics, and I am sure someone could id it on sight), but if you do, you have the following options:

1) Rebuild your existing latch. There are "rebuild kits" available, and most, if not all of the parts for these latches can still be ordered.

2) Replace the latch with a new or rebuilt KT. This is expensive. A new Latch will run you around $500.

3) Replace with some other brand. There is no "drop-in" replacement that will fit perfectly into the existing hole. I have seen kits available that include a modern replacement latch with integrated deadbolt as well as pre-cut patches, Olympic rivets, etc., everything you need to put in a new latch and patch up the existing oversized hole. Seems like these run about $130.

4) Buy a new conventional latch only as described in #3 above (I got one for under $40). Next is the hard part, reskinning both the outside and inside of the door so that it looks like the door was actually built with that latch. In the case of the Argosy, you would also need to repaint the door to match the rest of the trailer.

I recently underwent the same dilemma. My latch was still functional, but the chrome finish had peeled off of the assembly leaving it an ugly mess. I could have rebuilt the latch to improve function, and then painted it silver to improve the looks, but I still would have needed to install a deadbolt. So, I set foot to the slippery slope and went for #4. Not an option for the faint of heart.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I opted for #3, see picture. I got this from Andy at Inland RV, he makes a kit, but not for the faint hearted. I like the separate deadbolt latch to keep the door from opening on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020564.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	175755  
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
I like the look of that lock/handleset, something along those lines is probably what I'm going to be into eh?

Here is my "handle" if you can call it that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy Door Handle.png
Views:	425
Size:	637.7 KB
ID:	175765  
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Yes, that is what my lock looked like too! The mod took a lot of work, but it functions flawlessly. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Cool, so with those 2 locks is the top one the deadbolt I assume? What would you say was the most difficult part of the install?? I get that I'll be making that large patch for over the existing handle "hole".

Thanks Roger!
mark
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Yes, the top lock is the deadbolt. The most difficult thing for me was cutting the door opening. I made the first cut too small, because I was afraid if I made it too big I could not "make it smaller", then I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to trim until it fit. Cutting the door frame and fitting was also time consuming. The kit from Andy has directions, but every door is going to have some challenges. Yes, the patch covers the old hole, and has the correct opening for the new lock, and the holes for the rivets pre-drilled.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Great! Thanks again Roger!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #9

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Harrison , Arkansas
Thumbs up door handle dilema

very good ideas i guess i wil have to do the sane does anyone what color the argosy trailer actually is
Ptater is offline   Reply With Quote