Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1976 Argosy 26
Fort Smith , Arkansas
'76 Argosy Keys

I am new to the world of Argosy and this forum. I have found out many interesting things reading the different post. I just purchased a 76 Argosy four days ago. Went to an estate sale and their she was in the backyard and I knew I had to have her. I left a bid on her and was elated when I won the bid. However, the estate sale people left some keys inside of the trailer after the sale was over but they do not work. There was no door key and several small keys that were meant to open the outside compartments. None of the small keys would open any of the locks. They would go in the key hole but they would not turn. I tried for 30-40 minutes and gave up. I called the estate sale people but they were not much help for the trailer previously belonged to an elderly couple and that is the keys the elderly lady gave them. There is also a tounge key lock but I can cut it off with a bolt cutter. What are my options for securing keys for this girl. She wants out of the lonley backyard soon. I feel so lucky to have won the bid on this Argosy, 26 ft. Any help would be appreciated.

Cathy Libby in Tulsa, OK

Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
door lock

Cathy,
If you can get the main entry door open, a good lock smith will have a replacement cylinder. And the other locks are fairly common and you might find some Airstreamers/Argosy owners in your area that can try their keys. Arkansas has a fine Airstream Dealer that is on the forums and may be of help to you.
www.airstreamofarkansas.com

Lou and Larry...in Ohio

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey Cathy,

Give me a shout and I will see if I can help you!

My contact info is below...ask for Gene

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Cathy;
Welcome to the Forums. You will see from the posts that everybody is more than helpful.
We sometimes forget to welcome those new members.
We also like to see photos of these "deals".

Glad to have you aboard.

Bob and Lou
Members Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
Hi Cathy, I would like to see some pictures too when you get her home. I have an Argosy, and was able to replace outdoor compartment locks with no problem at all, you can buy them at any RV dealer, my last one cost about $4.00. The trick will be opening them, once open they swap out quick. I believe a locksmith can open all of the locks.

The door lock may be (will be?) a little more tricky to replace. Good luck, send pics!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Libby View Post
I am new to the world of Argosy and this forum. I have found out many interesting things reading the different post. I just purchased a 76 Argosy four days ago. Went to an estate sale and their she was in the backyard and I knew I had to have her. I left a bid on her and was elated when I won the bid. However, the estate sale people left some keys inside of the trailer after the sale was over but they do not work. There was no door key and several small keys that were meant to open the outside compartments. None of the small keys would open any of the locks. They would go in the key hole but they would not turn. I tried for 30-40 minutes and gave up. I called the estate sale people but they were not much help for the trailer previously belonged to an elderly couple and that is the keys the elderly lady gave them. There is also a tounge key lock but I can cut it off with a bolt cutter. What are my options for securing keys for this girl. She wants out of the lonley backyard soon. I feel so lucky to have won the bid on this Argosy, 26 ft. Any help would be appreciated.

Cathy Libby in Tulsa, OK
Tumblers with keys for the entrance door lock (KT) are available from a few dealers.

Caution, you must tell them that you have an original lock, and that the tumbler from Airstream will only fit the new KT locks.

We are the only dealer that had some tumblers modified so that they work on the original lock.

Keys are available for the compartment doors, # 1101X.

Andy