Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
marco island , Florida
door panel

i ordered one from airstream 3 weeks ago (75th anniversary edition)...it came and all it said was airstream company....then today i was on ebay and i noticed that "airstreaminc" was selling them on ebay....only difference was the one's on ebay said airstream company jackson center ohio....sooo..i called airstream...they apologized ans said that "some" of the door panels did not have jackson center on them....they are shipping me the correct item and asked that i send back the original one they sent....go figure, van
vpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
Hi Everybody
This is David Winick. I'm responsible for designing and producing all of these doorguards. I thought I'd clear something up that has been confusing for both you and Airstream's store employees. At least I'll try to make it unconfusing. Here's the deal...
The doorguards that say "The Airstream Company, Jackson Center, Ohio" were produced for the 75th Anniversary Bambi that I designed. 75 additional doorguards were made available to the Airstream store. They [production] also received a small quantity of doorguards that read "The Airstream Co" which somehow got sent to the store and are mixed in with the others. That is why some of you have received a different one than you saw on the Airstream website.
For those of you that are interested, additional "Home Sweet Home" doorguards will be produced. I would encourage those interested to email me. If enough people show interest I will produce them sooner.
If you want a doorguard that reads "The Airstream Co" I have them on my website.

Best regards to all of you and I'm very pleased that you like my designs.
David W.

vintage airstream and other classic travel trailers
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Screen Door Guards

David W., Thank you very much for helping us to understand the issues with the screen door guards. I think the key at this point is if anyone wants to get the remaining ones that the company store has regardless of if it says The Airstream Company Jackson Center, Ohio or the one that reads The Airstream Co. that they send an e-mail to Jean Sell at jsell@airstream.com and she will accommodate them with what ever remaining stock that they have. I am sure the folks wanting the Home Sweet Home guard will e-mail you. I have already steered a few your wat. I congratulate you for your great designs and hope to see more in the future. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #84

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We received our stainless screen door guard from the company store last week. When I opened the package , I found that they had sent me the one that says: The Airstream Co. without the Jackson Center on it. At first, I was inclined to return it and try to get the the one shown on the website. Then we got to looking at it and decided that we just might like this one better. We installed it on Lucy yesterday, and after seeing it in place, we have decided that we do like this one better and will keep it. The word "Airstream" is significantly larger in size and readable from a greater distance. I have included a photo of the guard on Lucy with this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0850.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	31974  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Looks Great!

moosetags, It looks really great installed on Lucy! The best part is it was $10.00 cheaper thanks to their mistake! I understand the original one (w/Jackson Center) was really only supposed to be for 75th Anniversary trailers but I think they both look fine on any year AS. I am waiting for warm weather to install mine. Happy trails! Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Thumbs up Yeah Buddie !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
David W., I am sure the folks wanting the Home Sweet Home guard will e-mail you.
Yeah Buddie ! You can be sure I did !

In fact, I'll take two if it will get things into production any sooner !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
I sent my email today..... hope there are enough people to get the production going soon... They ALL look great!!!
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
That's great!

Tom, That is great! I hope you realize that there are two different things being spoken about here. 1) Factory online store for "The Airstream Co." style screen guard or "Airstream Company Jackson Center, Ohio" screen guard which requires an e-mail to jsell@airstream.com stating which of the two you want and 2) The screen guard from David Winicks' Web site (that is currently out of stock) that reads "Home Sweet Home". Winicks' site is VintageTrailering.com and as he stated here, he will be making a new run of them soon. Hope all this hasn't confused anyone. Ed
Old 02-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
At first, I was inclined to return it and try to get the the one shown on the website. Then we got to looking at it and decided that we just might like this one better.
moosetags (Brian),

We agree with you. We're keeping ours for the same reasons, and it also looks like this design will be a little more durable with less metal cut away. I'll be installing mine this weekend or next. Any tips or lessons learned for the installation? What hardware did you use?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #90

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
moosetags (Brian),

We agree with you. We're keeping ours for the same reasons, and it also looks like this design will be a little more durable with less metal cut away. I'll be installing mine this weekend or next. Any tips or lessons learned for the installation? What hardware did you use?

Randy
Randy-
When I first put ours on, the silver inside screen guard made the new stainless one hard to read because it was silver with silver behind. I removed the inside guard and painted the outboard side flat black. The new one shows up much better that way. See photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0850.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	31995  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Screen guard install

Quote:
moosetags (Brian),

Randy
Use stainless steel self tapping screws to put guard onto frame. It should fit your door perfectly. You can pre-drill the holes in the frame and use regular slot/philips head screws if you don't like self tapping, but stick with stainless steel and avoid any rust issues. Ed
Old 02-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Electrolysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Use stainless steel self tapping screws ... stick with stainless steel and avoid any rust issues. Ed
Thanks Ed (BIGED52). I was thinking that was the recommendation. I use stainless hardware a lot living here in coastal Florida. Are there any electrolysis issues using stainless on aluminum?

Randy

Old 02-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
I emailed Airstream using the email that BigEd had supplied. I wanted the one that said Jackson Center. They emailed me back saying they were out right now and to send another email next week.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
RE: Electrolysis

Quote:
Are there any electrolysis issues using stainless on aluminum?
I found an old, inactive thread here that answers this question.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=electrolysis

Randy

Old 02-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Stainless steel screws

Randy, If you are worried about it just use aluminum screws. You will have to cut some threads into the holes in the door frame first as the aluminum screws are too soft to cut threads themselves. Being that the guard is stainless steel you may want to use a thin plastic gasket or washers between it and the aluminum door frame. Ed
Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Screen door guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPBILLIES
I emailed Airstream using the email that BigEd had supplied. I wanted the one that said Jackson Center. They emailed me back saying they were out right now and to send another email next week.
Debbie and Lewis, Wow! That must tell you the power of things that are read on this forum. They (Airstream store) have sold the remaining guards out of stock to folks who have read our information here in this thread and e-mailed their requests for these screen guards. That's just crazy.... Then again when you figure that there are around 18,000+ members here that could account for lots of e-mail requests! Let us know if you are able to get one ordered next week. I will be surprised if they can get any more of the ones that say Jackson Center, Ohio as that guard design production was halted. David Winick had previously told me that he stopped making them a while ago and switched to the one that says simply "The Airstream Co." as it had less manufacturing problems. Apparently the 1st version was difficult to laser cut! Please keep us updated on this as you hear back from Airstream. There may be others interested in getting a screen guard. Thanks Again Ed
Old 04-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #97
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
wrap-up

Thought I'd wrap up my (success) story: after last posting at the end of January, I received the "Airstream Co." version.

I was really set on having the full 'Jackson Center, Ohio' version, and called AS about it. They processed a UPS return right away, and a week later I had the one I ordered. Me: happy camper!

I finally installed the door guard:

Name:	winick_doorguard.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	35935
(and took a previous poster's suggestion to paint the outward-facing inner guard a dark color)

I ended up just using AL rivets to attach the guard.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We bought one of the "Jackson Center" door guards from the Airstream store when they still had them in stock. I installed it using stainless screws.. no problem. I removed the inner door guard so that the new one would show up nicely. I was a bit worried about damaging the screen (pushing a hole through it) without the inner guard, but with the new guard installed that really doesn't seem to be a problem since the screen flexes a bit when pushed and contacts the new guard well before becoming stressed.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bump...New on Ebay

Thought i'd update everyone when I found this yesterday. The mothership is selling them on Ebay as a buy now item with 4 available! As always it's first come first served..... Just thought you'd like to know... Ed
</IMG>
Airstream Screen Door Guard

</IMG> $109.00
1d 17h 43mlook under airstream parts in ebay motors.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Got Mine Installed

Pick one on these up last year while I was at the AS factory in Ohio. Forgot that I had it until I read this thread. Thanks for the memory jog. It's installed and looking good. I like the suggestion of painting the interior screen guard exteroir face with black paint to make it stand out.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote