Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
What you see is not what you get

I received my Screen Door Guard yesterday. It just says "The Airstream Company". The one in the on-line catalog adds Jackson Center, Ohio in a line below, as shown in post 23. I guess you had to pay extra for the original.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #42
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
I received my Screen Door Guard yesterday. It just says "The Airstream Company". The one in the on-line catalog adds Jackson Center, Ohio in a line below, as shown in post 23. I guess you had to pay extra for the original.
I can't tell you how disappointed I am to read this. Mine should arrive any day now. The description (still) reads
Quote:
Custom designed Screen Door Guard made of 18 gauge brushed stainless steel 7 1/2 inches X 25 1/4 inches.This is the same one used in the 2006 75th Anniversary Edition Bambi
and the picture clearly shows the second line of lettering -- both in the online catalog and pictured in the 75th Anniversary Edition Bambi catalog...

I would not have made the purchase if it wasn't as advertised. This is confusing.

-jd.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Waaaaaaa....waaa

I want the 'Home Sweet Home' one....and none other will do.....(sniff)

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #44
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
We found a gentleman who does awsome custom work. If you cvan draw it he can do it. David Sherman in MA. email:
Please do not encourage imitations of these door-guards. David Winick is a friend of mine and he works hard for his money. His products are the real deal, not cheap knock-offs. If anyone wants a cheap imitation, maybe they should be looking at white boxes rather than Airstreams. David is extremely busy but I'm sure he will have new door-guards available ASAP.

Roger

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Please do not encourage imitations of these door-guards. David Winick is a friend of mine and he works hard for his money. His products are the real deal, not cheap knock-offs. If anyone wants a cheap imitation, maybe they should be looking at white boxes rather than Airstreams. David is extremely busy but I'm sure he will have new door-guards available ASAP.

Roger
Roger with all due respect to Mr. Winick he doesn't not own the right to screen door guards. I live in New Orleans and I have admired many a creative screen door guard in New Orleans( Some What of an art form here), many done before Mr. Winnick was born. I have seen various types of screen door guards on trailers for years. I think Mr. Winick is very talented and no one should copy his design for the screen door guard he has created, but you are perfectly in your right to draw your own and laser cut it just as he has done. I do not condone copying his work, just saying if you want to design your own do it.

Using Airstream in a design with out the rights would be a big mistake anyway.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Imitations???????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Please do not encourage imitations...

Roger
All I wanted was my AIR # and Forums name
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Kevin -- Now that's an idea! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I live in New Orleans and I have admired many a creative screen door guard in New Orleans...

Using Airstream in a design with out the rights would be a big mistake anyway.
Yes Jim, I've seen plenty of variations like you mention. The big issue with Airstream's copyright would come if one tried to distribute Airstream's name or logos on a product. An individual can do anything they want for their own use. Airstream cannot come to my house and claim rights to photos I've taken of my repairs or vacations -- end user licensing agreements (EULAs -- "buy" a piece of software lately?) are full of legal holes and only partially enforceable. Just don't test the determination of a corporation to control licensing & sales!

I have appreciated Dave Winick's participation on these forums and he does beautiful work. It's always interesting to check out his projects -- thanks to those who do such a good job of presenting them on the internet! His and Airstream's rights should be respected. All owners here are tipping their hat in that direction when we pull out the checkbook for more alumimum.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #48
Craftsman

Bob you are correct in saying "if one tried to distribute Airstream's name or logo on a product" but if you wanted to make or have made a screen door guard or anything else for that matter for your personal use, I don't thank the Airstream Police are going to be breaking down your door. Now if you made a number for resale , that would be different. There are a couple of items that I'm having made for my truck with the word Airstream on it and I don't forsee any problems.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Craftsman -- Exactly what I was trying to say although you said it more directly (clearly).

Speaking of EULAs, I enjoy boingboing.net and they posted this joke EULA today: neilvandyke.org - Legal Notice

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Here's a picture of the Screen Dood Guard I received two days ago from the Airstream store. It's nice and is well made, it just doesn't have the Jackson Center, Ohio as the items in the catalog or as shown in post #23 on this thread. Pat says she likes it better that the other design even if it isn't the original.

Notice it does have a little TM in the lower right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_Door_Guard.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	31461  
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #51
_

. , .
Quote:
Notice it does have a little TM in the lower right.
hi rodney...

i like it!

and it is exactly as described by the craftsman who made it...

in post 22.

it is sort of fun that there are multiple versions...

like trailer models or baseball cards...

collect them all!

cheers
2air'

i wait for the 'go away!' model 2 b made available soon...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #52
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Kevin -- Now that's an idea! Thanks

Yes Jim, I've seen plenty of variations like you mention. The big issue with Airstream's copyright would come if one tried to distribute Airstream's name or logos on a product. An individual can do anything they want for their own use. Airstream cannot come to my house and claim rights to photos I've taken of my repairs or vacations -- end user licensing agreements (EULAs -- "buy" a piece of software lately?) are full of legal holes and only partially enforceable. Just don't test the determination of a corporation to control licensing & sales!
Ok, I need to jump in here it is not copyright, what I think you're speaking of is trademark infringement.

Now let's say Airstream wanted to sue you for trademark infringement, first they need to show how it damaged them, moreover to sue anyone on a trademark you need to start the case in Federal NOT state court.

To be in Federal court you must show a Minimum of $75,000 in damages to get into court.

Now you have to hire lawyers 50-100K, not going to happen.

So if you make a few Airstream things I really wouldn't worry about being sued.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
"Home Sweet Home" screen guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
Babeebloos, I got a PM from David Winick last weekend that said he may very well do another run of the Home Sweet Home screen guard this summer. So if I were you I would contact him in a PM and let him know that you too are interested in getting one of that style. I suppose if he is wondering whether or not to produce more it would be helpful to know all interested parties and their contact information. FYI Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Screen guard

I just finished ordering mine from the online store. The site at Airstream.com still shows the guard with the Jackson Center, Ohio line on the guard that they sell. I also left them a comment that if the guard doesn't have that line then I don't want it. They are supposed to e-mail me back and let me know if I am getting the correct one or they are cancelling my order.... Stay Tuned. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
So if I were you I would contact him in a PM and let him know that you too are interested in getting one of that style. I suppose if he is wondering whether or not to produce more it would be helpful to know all interested parties and their contact information. FYI Ed
He is username dwinick. Another way to stay in touch is through his website, vintage airstream and other classic travel trailers.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
David Winick web site

Thanks Bob, I could not remember it when I was posting! Ed
Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #57
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
David is a straight shootin' guy. I'd contact him and see what he can do before I went elsewhere. A lot of folks like David do something great and are totally inaccessible...that's not the case, at least what I found. I'd do business with David in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up again.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Yep!

Just like I said.... David replied within 24 hrs to me to say that he will likely have another run of the Home Sweet Home guard this summer. That is what I consider a quick response from a great vendor to us! Ed
Old 01-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I like this idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
All I wanted was my AIR # and Forums name
This would have my interest too! However I think it might be too expensive to do as it would require individual laser cutting of each different Forums member name and member number. Wonder what cost would be....Hmmm! Ed
Old 01-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Mee Too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
Summer is just around the corner though eh ? Maybe if we let Dave know about how many of us were interested......... ??

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote