Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I used white lithium grease. Sal.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Laura: It looks to me like the pin is broken off that holds the spring back. Part # SKu-3006. I'm going to try to attach a pic from Out of Doors Mart that shows a pin next to the locking mechanism cam. The pin is holding tension on the spring and there is a spacer plate next to the pin. In your pic it appears that the pin is sheared off. In the pic with your thumb and forefinger, just to the right of center; there should be a pin thru the shaft that is 90 degrees to the pin on the left side of the photo below. It is just above the letter "O" on the diagonal printed letters "ODMRV.COM". The letters on the right. Look closely; you will see a pin slightly angled, that is holding the spring back.
I always hold the handle in the open position when ever I close the door, then release the handle so the door will latch when closed. After having this lock apart, I can see how it gets damaged by just slamming the door shut.
In the picture below notice that the vertical pin is resting against the cam plate that is operated by the handle shaft. If the verticle pin is too far to the right the handle cam plate will miss it. Can you see how the spring holds it against the cam plate?
If that pin is broken, you can probably get one at a hardware or auto parts store. It's called a "split roll pin" Take the lock with you because you will need a punch to remove the old pin and it has to be the proper size in diameter to work. I hope I have identified your problem.
I am sure a locksmith could fix it if you don't want to try it yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3045_5.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	115873  

Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
?????

Laura: did you get your lock repaired?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Are you kidding me?

Hey - I posted a follow-up several days ago - where'd it go? I even received a PM regarding that final post. Too weird.

But yes Twinkie --- I did get it fixed. My dad has some great little tools that I used to pushing out the broken pin. But, in order to do this, I also had to remove the more forward pin. Then I pulled the whole shaft thing out and pushed out the damaged pin, put it all back together and installed two new split roll pins (2 different sizes) that I bought at the local ACE Hardware store.

I mounted it in place earlier this week. And, although the handle doesn't sit completely flush anymore, it works better than ever! My guess is that the hinge for the handle was defored a bit from the excessive pulling on it (by my guest). I'm not going to fret over it though. Thanks for the tip about using extra care when closing. I'll have to stress this to my camping guests - who are often under 10 and believe slamming doors is the ONLY way to close a door.

Laura
Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
No $$$$

Glad I could help and to hear you didn't have to lay out big bucks.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
This brings back all kinds of BAD memories! A few years ago, the door lock on one of our previous Airstreams broke. Thank goodness, the back window was open......I cut the screen and sent a grandchild in.....no luck. The ONLY way to open the door was to take it off by the hinges from the outside. That was one HEAVY door. I took the lock apart, found the broken part, had it brazed at a machine shop, and for 2 bucks it was fixed. I spent at least 8 hours on that project.........it was not fun!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Oh yeah - I went through all sorts of panic when I realized that all the windows were securely fixed .... dog inside....thankfull for having a spare key to the battery box available. I'm thinking about putting spare keys all over the place.

I still think crawling through a window would be a challenge - one worthy of having a video camera around to document the ugliness....

Laura
Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Newport beach, Three Rivers(Sequoia national park) and LA , California
Does anyone one know what the two Setscrews sizes are that hold the lock rod?

Thanks,
Toddthefishman@hotmail.com
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lock Rod

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Lock Rod". Is it the device for locking the door from the inside?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Having problems keeping the door locked from the outside with the key

Sorry, about the description.
“The inner rod that actually locks the core” everything else is attached to it and it has two setscrews. I’m missing one, but it doesn’t seem to solve the problem. I can lock the couch from the inside, but I’m having problems keeping it locked from the outside with the key. The key doesn’t seem to completely lock the rod in its upper position and can be unlocked with a few pulls on the latch.

Thanks…TG Twinkie
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Fishman: The pictures are not there.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

Here are some photos of the lock; maybe you can give me some idea of where these set screws are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3325Where%20goes.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	118296   Click image for larger version

Name:	3372Where%20goes.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	118297  

Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Missing setscrews

Airlock_TG | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yes, I also might need the part: SKU # 3325
3325 is where the setscrews are set (top and bottom) I’m missing the top setscrew.
HAPPY NEW YEAR,

Todd The fish
www.thefishman.net

P.S.
Why wont this site take picture attachments or my Flickr HTML???
Maybe I could simply email you the pictures.....
Thank you so much.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
This is not really a set screw for locking something in place. It is for holding the spring and ball for the detent of the door lock shaft. My guess is that you need either a 10-32 or 10-24 set screw. If you have one in the bottom hole, you could remove it and take it to an auto parts or hardware store to get another one. When you remove it, there will be a ball and spring behind it; be careful not to lose it. You will probably need a new ball and spring for the top hole. The part number at Out of Doors Mart is SKU 3047 the new # is 380635. When you get to their web site go to parts and type the number into the search engine.
When you reinstall it; the ball goes in the hole first, then the spring. You put the set screw in and tighten it just enough to where the lock shaft will slide back and forth with some resistance. The idea is that the ball drops into the notches in the shaft to hold it in one position or the other. If you get it too tight you could break your key off in the lock cylinder when you try to lock or unlock it.
If you look at part 3325 you will notice a notch with tapered edges just to the left of the hole in the shaft. This is where the balls drop in to hold the shaft in place. One ball is for the locked position, the other is for the unlocked position .
AGAIN! Do Not over tighten the set screws!
It will help if you lubricate the shaft and ball and spring with white grease when you reassemble it. A light coating will be fine.