Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
'71 Sovereign LandYacht Door Lock Problem

We've had this unit for about 1 1/2 months and are going through it trying to get it functional. The door lock works from the outside only. There is no way to lock the door from the inside when you're in the trailer.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outsideview.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	9004   Click image for larger version

Name:	insideview.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	9005  

mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjim
We've had this unit for about 1 1/2 months and are going through it trying to get it functional. The door lock works from the outside only. There is no way to lock the door from the inside when you're in the trailer.

Keep your eye on ebay.
These locks are not available and when they were they were high $$$ ($500.00 more or less)

Try to repair what you have. And make sure you dont break it!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Ok, Does anybody know how it's supposed to lock from the inside? I don't have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
Keep your eye on ebay.
These locks are not available and when they were they were high $$$ ($500.00 more or less)

Try to repair what you have. And make sure you dont break it!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
I have the same lock on my 25' Tradewind. I also was trying to replace it only because it looked pretty bad. Anyway, if you do a search you'll see that it does cost over $500.00 to replace it. I got a call today from a guy who wanted $575.00 for it but had it in stock. Mine has a latch/peg infront of the handle (it looks like), where you have a hole. I only use it to open and close the door, I have a dead bolt that I use to lock-up.
Mine doesn't have the slide you have under the lock that you show in your pic., but it might have been there before and was removed.
You can do a search and see that many people have delt with this lock, welding, replacing parts.... bla,bla,bla.... make the best of it or suck it up and buy a new one. O' the replacement cylinder is about $35.00 if you need it.
Best of luck
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Are you saying this lock is not designed to lock from the inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskIt
I have the same lock on my 25' Tradewind. I also was trying to replace it only because it looked pretty bad. Anyway, if you do a search you'll see that it does cost over $500.00 to replace it. I got a call today from a guy who wanted $575.00 for it but had it in stock. Mine has a latch/peg infront of the handle (it looks like), where you have a hole. I only use it to open and close the door, I have a dead bolt that I use to lock-up.
Mine doesn't have the slide you have under the lock that you show in your pic., but it might have been there before and was removed.
You can do a search and see that many people have delt with this lock, welding, replacing parts.... bla,bla,bla.... make the best of it or suck it up and buy a new one. O' the replacement cylinder is about $35.00 if you need it.
Best of luck
Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Forget replacing the lock PERIOD. That's right forget it. Do exactly what I and many others have done - Put a deadbolt on your door. It locks better, adds certain door security, and the door won't acidently open when your traveling, and best of all it is much less expensive - Did I say much less expensive, I mean MUCH MUCH less expensive. The very idea of paying such a high price ($500.00) for a door lock like this is offensive to me.
I think I paid a total of around $75 for my deadbolt and for having the side of the outer ring trimmed to fit the door trim flush plus having the bold part cut to about 60% of size to work correctly. The lock is not mounted in the door, but on the side of the frame. I will post a picture so you can see what I mean. I got the idea from another forum member that had his lock mounted in the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DL004s.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	9009  

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Thanks, I had almost reached the same conclusion. It's amazing that in 1970 Airstream didn't have a better locking system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Forget replacing the lock PERIOD. That's right forget it. Do exactly what I and many others have done - Put a deadbolt on your door. It locks better, adds certain door security, and the door won't acidently open when your traveling, and best of all it is much less expensive - Did I say much less expensive, I mean MUCH MUCH less expensive. The very idea of paying such a high price ($500.00) for a door lock like this is offensive to me.
I think I paid a total of around $75 for my deadbolt and for having the side of the outer ring trimmed to fit the door trim flush plus having the bold part cut to about 60% of size to work correctly. The lock is not mounted in the door, but on the side of the frame. I will post a picture so you can see what I mean. I got the idea from another forum member that had his lock mounted in the same way.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
I have the same dead bolt that JohnG has and I more then agree with him about using it. It also keeps my door a lot tighter (better seal).

As to the locking from the inside..... the latch/pin what ever it is that is infront of the inside handle works the lock from the inside. From your pic. you are missing it. It's right infront of the handle.

The dead bolt I used is the same brand as JohnG and works great.
Best of luck
Kevin
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
This Dexter Lock that you have - what is the finish? Bright Chrome or Stainless Steel?

And where did you get the lock? I'm having a tough time locating one.

Thanks

Quote:
Old 10-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
easy fix

Before going to the trouble of trying to modify (drill) your door and the frame.... try fixing yours. This lock DOES become a deadbolt from the inside, you are just missing the stud that fits in the slot (circle) hole that you have. You can remove your lock by removing the three screw holes + the door handle (there's a allen key on the bottom) and it comes out the front. Then take it to the local hardware store and look for a stud (or machine flat bottomed screw) that fits it. The door locks by pushing this stud down - it becomes a deadbolt.

Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:

I got a replacement locking pin from oasisrv.com

It is basically a bolt that threads into the locking mechanism in the lock via the hole to the left of the inside handle.

It cost $30. But now I can lock the door from the inside
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Thanks Tim,

I've contacted oasisrv.com and am waiting for a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I got a replacement locking pin from oasisrv.com

It is basically a bolt that threads into the locking mechanism in the lock via the hole to the left of the inside handle.

It cost $30. But now I can lock the door from the inside
Old 10-12-2004, 10:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
This Dexter Lock that you have - what is the finish? Bright Chrome or Stainless Steel?

And where did you get the lock? I'm having a tough time locating one.

Thanks
The finish is Stainless Steel - I bought it from a local locksmith. You might also do a websearch for Dexter Locks and see what you come up with. Either way you will save a bunch by just putting in a dead bolt. I would not even attempt to reapair the original lock with a locking mechinisim as long as it operates from both sides.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Smile

Quote:
What a good idea, Thanks I am going to do that to my trailer.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Definitely! Go with the dead bolt!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign