'71 Sovereign KT Door Lock Refurbishestoration
Well, I decided today that I was sick of looking at that peeling chrome finish on our KT door lock, so I took everything apart, pulled out the Dremel and, using 120 grit sandpaper, got everything nice and cleaned up. The problem is that 39 years of weather pitted some areas, so I smoothed them down as much as possible and painted the door latch assembly with Krylon metallic. I followed that with a couple coats of Krylon clearcoat. The result is spectacular, compared to what it looked like this morning.
The only mistake I made was not taking the tiny spring out first, before pulling out the lock plunger, resulting in a spring that got almost FUBAR'd. Lucky for me, I used some crewchief ingenuity. I grabbed some baling wire, a pair of pliers, a pair of needlenosed pliers and proceeded to rewind the spring to its almost original condition. It worked like a charm. A little Parbond around the latch assembly and I have a door lock that looks good again. I didn't really care for the chromed look anyway.
I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it, after I clean up the dried Parbond.
1971 Sovereign International - SOLD
2004 F-350 King Ranch
AIR # 8239