Old 04-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Leadville , Colorado
69 lockset repair

Need to repair a 1969 Overlander, Bargman Co., entry door handle and lock-set. Broken on the outside. Maybe other breaks. Anyone can do? Advice?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello DJHorning. Welcome to Air Forums. We recently moved to Colorado and are liking it so far. I'm still not all that comfortable towing on twisty mountain roads and 6% long, curvy downhill grades, but it will come with more experience. I guess we have a monster snow storm coming our way this weekend.

We have a 69 Globetrotter and a 66 Trade Wind. Both of these trailers had broken Bargman entry door lock sets. They are the L-100 (inside door knob) or the L-200 (inside door lever). You can learn more about these lock sets from Vintage Trailer Supply video, or other websites on the internet. The locks and parts for the locks are no longer available new.

Both the 66 and the 69 trailers have cast aluminum door frames. These beefy frames required Airstream to have an oddball 3 1/2" set back (the distance from the hole through the door to the edge of the door.) This dimension greatly limits what kind of replacement lockset will fit. I could not find any modern lockset with a 3 1/2" set back.

Both of our old trailers have deadbolt locks, so we did not need or want the locking feature of the Bargman lock. It is activated with a key on the outside, and a counter clockwise rotation of the door handle on the inside. I removed the locking mechanism when I rebuilt these locks.

I 'won" a Bargman L-100 lock set on e-bay. You can find them there with "buy it now" prices in the $500 range and up. There is more demand than supply for these old locks. Many Bargman locks are built with the standard set back, but luckily VTS makes and sells a 3 1/2" bolt that converts the lock set to Airstream specs.

Inland RV in California sells a replacement lock that can be fit to our model years. It is listed on their website, but I don't know much about it. It is a "lift to open" lever type lock set similar to most later year Airstreams.

There are two cams in the lock that change rotary motion (twisting the door knob) to linear motion of the bolt. One cam works from the outside door knob, and one cam works from the inside door knob (or lever). On one of my locks, this cam had broken. On the other one, the screw that holds the cam in place had come loose and the lock fell apart inside.

Repairing or replacing these old Bargman locks is a real challenge. Maybe some others will chime in and offer some solutions for you.

David

Old 10-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Carlyss , Louisiana
DJHorning, did you find a replacement for your Bargman lock? My bargman L-100 broke on my 1966 overlander, dbj216's info is on the money. My 100 has the 3 1/2 in bolt thats what broke, but lock is quite worn and I would like to go to something different if possible. Vintage airstream supply is currently out of long bolts but has more on order. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
I see that this is a thread from April, but thought I would add a couple of photos. Our long latch also lost a tab about a month ago. VTS was out of stock, but Inland had them. The replacement is machined from aluminum billet instead of cast (as the originals were.) I was impressed with the level of sophistication of the lockset. Use care when disassembling to avoid losing pieces and consider taking a few photos as you go, to get everything back together in the right order.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3197.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	272955   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3199.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	272956  

Old 10-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
1973 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Easley , South Carolina
If you need help with your Bargman L-100 or L-200 I will be glad to help you. I have both of the models new in the box as well as lots of used ones. I can also send you a pdf of the exploded view with a parts list if you need it. I alsso have the L-300, L-400, L-77 and (L-66 new and used) models. If you are needing only a Rebuild Kit, I have the OEM kits for all but the L-77 model.

Feel free to contact me r_whiten@hotmail.com
Rick
Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thank you montanablue ! Your expertise and inventory in these old and rare Bargman locks will help other vintage Airstreamers with lock set failures. There just isn't a lot of options out there for folks with the thick cast aluminum door frame built into their vintage Airstream.

I'll bet it was a lot of work and expense to build your Bargman collection.

David
Old 10-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Carlyss , Louisiana
Has anyone tried the replacement lock dbj216 is talking about, from inland rv? I am waiting on a return call from them to get more info (if it is an exact fit or if modification is needed) Its not cheap but may be long term solution as bargman parts get harder to find
Old 10-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

1969 25' Tradewind
Chicago area , Illinois
Having a similar issue with the L100 door lock on my 69. It will lock from the inside but won't engage and lock from the outside when I use a key. Took it apart today and did some TLC but no luck!

I been on the the hunt for a replacement alternative....considering just installing a deadbolt on the outside.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Son was locked inside the trailer when his Bargman outside lock jammed. Out the rear window he went. Another good reason for the emergency exit out the rear window.

The cause was just nearly 45 years of wear. So I removed the little slide that actuates the outside lock, and removed the piece that locks it from the inside. We only use this lock set to open and shut the door.

We installed a "hardware store" deadbolt lock. This is always locked when towing, and locked when we need to.

Inland RV does have a "lever style" lock that can be retrofitted to a 64 through 69 Airstream. If your Tradewind was a 70, I believe you would have a KT lever style lock. Here is a link to the lock set they have available. It takes significant modification to install.

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/adva...22320&x=10&y=9

Also watch Vintage Trailer Supply's video on Airstream locksets. It is very informative.

David