Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
San Jose , California
'67 Overlander replacement main door

Hi all- I'm a newer Airstream owner and new to posting on the Forums.

I've lurked for a while, and finally bought a '67 Overlander that could generously be described as a project. I'm fairly handy and like tinkering, so no worries there... but I need to do some near-term work to make it weatherproof. I can fix the broken window thanks to VTS, but my largest problem is the main door- the second owners (overly ambitious younger couple) bought it, and along the way relocating it, somehow completely lost the main door. "It was there when we left...."

I admit I'd not researched that particular part as much as I should have prior to the opportunity to get the trailer, and am finding there's not a lot out there for replacing the entire main door. I cannot see on any of the suppliers where I could get a whole replacement. If anyone has ideas on that, please let me know.

To address my immediate need with a better answer than a tarp, I'm looking around. I figure my best bet will be a generationally compatible salvage trailer I can pilfer the door from. I'm not finding any right now.

Question: Does anyone know/ can anyone point me to better specs on precise door sizes across "generations?" I see more donors from the 70 and early 80s... but I don't know if they'll fit. I won't claim to be enough of an expert metalworker to want to get into trying to resize something.

I figure I could cut some wooden ribs to the right curvature and fashion a door out of plywood with shellac or fiberglass as an ugly but functional barrier to weather and woodland creatures, but I'm otherwise open to ideas..

Thanks!
Erich
(a probably wildly optimistic new guy)
elatchford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Not an easy find...

The good news is that you have a '67 Overlander...

1965 thru 1968 door will fit the 1967 jamb. 1968 door has an “improved” hinge that could possibly be adapted to earlier jamb. 1964 and older “door in door” won't work. 1969 and newer door won't fit.

The 1967 jamb is a pot-aluminum casting. The 1967 inner door framework is also pot-aluminum cast. The '65 thru '68 cast frame doors are quite often broken inside. The cracked casting can be welded, but it shrinks some. You'll have to de-skin it and make a jig. A broken door can be repaired, so don't turn one away.

It'll be best to find a 1967 door. Try to find the 1967 screen door too.. The L-100 and L-200 lock-set is very expensive.

$500 for a door with lock-set and screen would be a steal. There's a '68 being parted out in the Airforum classifieds, and a '67 no title junker listed as a '64 on eBay today.

You're going to need some good luck...

Plenty of support on Airforums, just ask...
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You could try Colaws Salvage in Missouri. They have a few salvaged AS. Might be a long shot, but maybe worth a try. They're on line.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Just as important as the door are the hinges and lock. If you can find the hinge or (hinges?) or door lock grab them.

There may be a thread on door fabrication. I met someone who made one and it did not sound too hard.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
San Jose , California
I did call Colaws already, they say they've more or less been priced out of the Airstream market these days.
elatchford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
"I figure I could cut some wooden ribs to the right curvature and fashion a door out of plywood with shellac or fiberglass as an ugly but functional barrier to weather and woodland creatures, but I'm otherwise open to ideas.."

Yes, make a temporary single skin door from 1x4 and luan.

Read up on Door Suicides, and its prevention device. It's not uncommon for the door to blow open/off in transit. If it blew off, the whole hinge should still be there. If you have only the body-side of the hinge, the door was probably removed and lost. Further interrogate POs.

It could take a while to find a door. I've searched years for bits and pieces missing from my '68GT.

It's not a bad idea to chronicle your '67 Overlander adventure on Airforums with an ongoing "restoration" thread. Ante up the twenty bucks to become a supporting member so you can communicate with many images as you stumble along. Pictures really help bring in the comments and advise.

The background and broad history of skills Airforum members have is outstanding. Best resource.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I have plenty of the Bargman L100 and L200 locks new and used when you are ready.
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Welcome , I hope you find a door . A custom door could be built but would be pricey . Take some pictures of what you have left on your body so we can see what you have to work with . I have a 67 that I’m working on and can get you all the photos if you need them .
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: I had a 66 Trade Wind 24'. It is one size smaller than your Overlander 26'. The in body door casting that Aluminuminum speaks was broken on my trailer. The previous owner strapped it together with steel and screws.

You have one of the mid sixties Airstreams that are so special, 66 through 68. There was a new body style in 69 that basically carries on today, at least in general appearance. Your Overlander is well worth the renovation. Any 66 through 68 door will fit. There was the Caravel, Globetrotter, Safari, Trade Wind, Overlander, Ambassador, and Sovereign; 7 models for a salvage search.

Keep looking. You might want to post a "Parts Wanted" ad in these Air Forums classifieds. It is a free posting. I was looking for interior parts with my parts wanted ad, and fellow Airstreamers helped me out. Chances the special Bargman lock will be missing or worn out, but MountainBlue has helped a lot of us with a replacement Bargman lock. They are expensive as demand has outstripped supply. A $50 hardware store lock won't work due to the goofy setback position of the Airstream door.

California is a big Airstream state, your chances are pretty good there.

Here is a photo of my old 66 Trade Wind. I enjoyed working on the thing. It still has the entry door.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Curb Shade-800x600.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	333992  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Elizabethton , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablue View Post
I have plenty of the Bargman L100 and L200 locks new and used when you are ready.
I am restoring a 67' tradewind and would like to purchase a spare lockset.Just curious about what a new or used one will cost. Any help would be appreciated.
jessl_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Bargman Lock

I sent you a PM about a lock.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote