Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #21
your airstream brother

1967 30' Sovereign
millen , Georgia
great! let me send you some $ for at least shipping..... how do i give you "good karma"? pm sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Gary,

Let me check when I get home. I think I still have an old lock that had the bolt break. One of the “ears” on the back came off blocking the bolt fully in the doorframe, trapping me inside. After I removed the inside handle, I could only get 3 of the 4 screws holding the mechanism to the outside handle out because the Phillips head stripped on the last one. I was forced to pry the cage that holds the bolt in place to get out. After that, I had to remove the interior skin to get the now mangled lock out. If I can get the screw out with a pair of vise grips, you are welcome to my old one.
TOW VEHC 02 TAHOE 5.3 4X4 AIR REAR SUSPENSION
garyk1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet It’s in the mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk1970
great! let me send you some $ for at least shipping..... how do i give you "good karma"? pm sent.
Hi Gary,

It’s on its way. PM also sent. I even located the original Bargman key. When you get it, you will find some silver goop in the screw holes. This is Permatex Anti-Seize. If there had been some on the screws, that problem would never have existed. I can’t believe that I didn’t put some on back in the early ’90s when I changed the lock the first time. I put either Loctite or Anti-Seize on every fastener that I tighten. It’s absolutely essential when you put a steel thread into aluminum, think sparkplug in a head. I even make it a point to take all my lug nuts off and coat the studs with it. Makes removal a lot easier.

Oh, and the Karma, there is a line below my avatar.