Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Bromsgrove , Worcestershire
'65 GT Main Door Lock / Lost Keys

My shippers delivered our newly aquired '65 GT to my home in England over two weeks ago, unfortunately the keys have not made the journey so successfully. I'm now running out of patience waiting to get into the GT and get started on the resto.

It looks like I'm going to have to drill the lock to get in but before I do that I need to get replacement parts or locks to repair the lock so the unit stays secure.

I've looked at Inland RV, VTS and OODM but cannot see a similar lock to the one I have, but the lock is the same as those in photographs of '65 GT's so I'm assuming it's original.

Can anyone tell me what lock I have and where I can get parts or a replacement?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
My shippers delivered our newly aquired '65 GT to my home in England over two weeks ago, unfortunately the keys have not made the journey so successfully. I'm now running out of patience waiting to get into the GT and get started on the resto.

It looks like I'm going to have to drill the lock to get in but before I do that I need to get replacement parts or locks to repair the lock so the unit stays secure.

I've looked at Inland RV, VTS and OODM but cannot see a similar lock to the one I have, but the lock is the same as those in photographs of '65 GT's so I'm assuming it's original.

Can anyone tell me what lock I have and where I can get parts or a replacement?
You may not easily be able to find that lock.

But, you can install the L-100 special lock. Thats the same lock that was used from 1966 through 1969.

More importantly, that lock is available from several sources.

Be sure you ask for the L-100 Special, as it has a larger striker bolt so that it can go thru the cast door frame that's on your 1965. A regular L-100 won't do the trick. Replace the striker pocket as well. In order to properly position the striker pocket, you should also replace the entrance door gasket. Then your done with any further aggravation, at least from the entrance door.

Sooner or later, you would have run into the lock problem.

Fixing that problem now, will save you a lot of gray hair, and even a few expletives.

Andy

Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
You may want to call a locksmith... I can't imagine that the lock is that sophisticated and he could make you several keys and open it at the same time!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington State
Getting a New Lock

Sorry to hear you are having problems with keys. I agree with the one post - A lock smith probably will be able to help.

Our lock would not open at one point. Fortunately with some effort we got in. We though have decided to replace our lock with a new replacement. After much thought we are going with a new original instead of the lesser expensive replacement. We have heard of to many stories of old locks breaking.

Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/Empresspublishing

http://thoughtsfromwisdom.blogspot.com/
JLJustice is offline   Reply With Quote