Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
'58 overlander door seals

Vintage trailer Supply just sent my new door seal for '57-62 airstreams.
It is the D-shaped seal with a diagonal lip. Okay maybe it's an r shaped seal.

Anyway there looks to be plenty of flange width on the screen cover door, and on the main door seal to adhere the seal to.

However there is only about a 3/8" lip on the door frame flange, and the new seal is roughly 5/8" wide. The old double lipped seal is still there, and appears to be original. My understanding is that the double lipped seal was used on later models.

Has anyone else experienced this discrepancy?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
I used that D gasket with the lip on the door edge and the door-in a door edge. That alone sealed mine well. If you want to put a gasket on the door frame (trailer body) I would try a 1/2 inch or less gasket such as the 66-68 window gasket VTS sells or perhaps a small d gasket. Ed

Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
Thanks for the suggestion Ed. That does seems like a reasonable alternative, yet their website suggest three strips are needed, rather than just two. Possibly the flange width varies from 57-62? I haven't installed the first two yet, but like you say, they would seal very well without the third.

Maybe instead of adhering to the flange, it adheres inside the doorframe up against the flange with the lip facing it. I'll also check in with VTS later.
I'm such a NUT about these minute trivialities, but it's all just part of my "affliction".
Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_apache View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Ed. That does seems like a reasonable alternative, yet their website suggest three strips are needed, rather than just two. Possibly the flange width varies from 57-62? I haven't installed the first two yet, but like you say, they would seal very well without the third.

Maybe instead of adhering to the flange, it adheres inside the doorframe up against the flange with the lip facing it. I'll also check in with VTS later.
I'm such a NUT about these minute trivialities, but it's all just part of my "affliction".
The original rectangular gasket that has a bump on one corner, is still available.

Andy
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
I guess I can save this stuff for the bifold door on my '59 Chevy Viking school bus.

So was Part # 45313 used for the door frame as well as the two seals on the door itself? Mine has a much narrower double lipped seal.

Thanks Andy