Old 07-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
2017 FC Door gap

At the bottom left of the door the fit is not 100%. At every other long side and corner the door presses into the rubber gasket nicely.

My moisture meter is telling me that some road spray or perhaps rain is getting into the coach at that corner. I'm not 100% on that theory however the fit is far enough away from the rubber that the corner is barely touching the rubber.

I can press with my hand and make the door flex into place.

! No, I have not abused the stabilizer jacks
! Yep, this is the first I've noticed it

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asa.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	317641   Click image for larger version

Name:	asb.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	317642  

Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Too Tall

Slip by the factory. Easy 5 min fix!
Take the Great Miami bike trail in Piqua after your adjustment. Also hit the bike museum in New Bremen.Donít forget the Inn Between tavern for the fried chicken just up the road from JC.
Enjoy!
Tom

Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The standard fix for any door fit problem is a factory trained tech with the door adjustment tools. It's a bend to fit correction and there is a Youtube video that will give you and understanding of what is required.

Good Luck with your correction. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The standard fix for any door fit problem is a factory trained tech with the door adjustment tools. It's a bend to fit correction and there is a Youtube video that will give you and understanding of what is required.

Good Luck with your correction. Pat
Thanks Pat I did review the video.
I think the door is aligned fine, it's just the bottom left corner that is out or am I missing the big picture?
Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Not an expert, but door alignment includes configuring the door and the frame in 3-dimensions. If the panel gap is identical all around the door, that would be correct. However if a section of the seal is not correctly compressed to inhibit water entry, that area of the door or the frame may need adjustment to correct the seal clearance enough to provide the compression necessary to reject water entry. The other possibility is the integrity of the seal material. In any case, that trained tech is your friend. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Gotcha and THANKS for the cycling suggestions
I will not be shocked if Colonial has the skill set to do this...ring ring.
My last and final thought, I've got to convince myself this isn't something I can accomplish first. It's one of those things
Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
TT,
The picture you showed of your door could have been my trailer door last year.

Last Fall I visited JC and the tech not only had to bend the door but in order to do it right he had to take the panel off the inside of the door and reattach because it would have caused the panel to bind. Now it seals perfectly.

I can see in your picture the rub rail at the bottom of your door stands about 1/4+ from the door frame. Note: Once mine was fixed, there was little to almost no gap between the frame and the door trim.
Good Luck!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
TT,
The picture you showed of your door could have been my trailer door last year.

Last Fall I visited JC and the tech not only had to bend the door but in order to do it right he had to take the panel off the inside of the door and reattach because it would have caused the panel to bind. Now it seals perfectly.

I can see in your picture the rub rail at the bottom of your door stands about 1/4+ from the door frame. Note: Once mine was fixed, there was little to almost no gap between the frame and the door trim.
Good Luck!
That's good intel. Thank you sir.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
This may be common with 2016 FC. My door is exactly a bit off at the same corner.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have been working that problem a while, but I think JC fixed it last time. I'm sure normal use and Interstate road roughnes contributes to the problem as well as normal flexing, wear and tear. Even after resealing the door and final adjustment the rain test allows water to accumulate on the door sill. The techs say that is normal. That is why I added a stip of anti-skid tape across th sill covering the door mounting screws to keep water from seeping through.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I have been working that problem a while, but I think JC fixed it last time. I'm sure normal use and Interstate road roughnes contributes to the problem as well as normal flexing, wear and tear. Even after resealing the door and final adjustment the rain test allows water to accumulate on the door sill. The techs say that is normal. That is why I added a stip of anti-skid tape across th sill covering the door mounting screws to keep water from seeping through.
guskmg
Again, more excellent intel thanks.
Well, I reviewed the video:

At 7:56 he shows how to adjust for my issue.

Done and done. I adjusted the door as shown in the video and stopped when the gap was about 50% better than when I started which is good enough for you-know-what work
FWIIW My unit already has the anti-skid tape installed.
Once again, the forum delivers.
Love fixing my own stuff
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
At the bottom left of the door the fit is not 100%. At every other long side and corner the door presses into the rubber gasket nicely.

My moisture meter is telling me that some road spray or perhaps rain is getting into the coach at that corner. I'm not 100% on that theory however the fit is far enough away from the rubber that the corner is barely touching the rubber.

Thoughts?

I am experiencing the exact same thing on our 2018 30' FC. Patrick at Colonial says that it isn't unusual and bring it in at the end of the season for an adjustment.

My comment to him - "I thought it was built like a bank vault." A phrase he is famous for on his YouTube. lol
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post

Thoughts?
Hi Too Tall,

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Too Tall,

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
I sent you a PM thru the forum yesterday.