Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Rookie Airstreamer

Unhappy 2005 CCD Door and Frame Damage

I bought a 2005 CCD International Airstream trailer in Feb. I only had it a couple of weeks when one evening I found the door of the Airstream to be locked with my English bulldog and keys locked inside! Since I was having a bad day already I made it worse by breaking into my new trailer by bending the door jamb this was not a very good idea!
Sutton RV in Eugene Oregon quoted me $3300 for the repair. A complete door and frame replacement. Parts sent from Airstream in Ohio. The lock needs replacement for sure. I think the door is okay just one piece of the jamb needs to be cut out and replaced. Any advice I can get on how to repair my trailer whould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jake
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You locked both sets of keys in it? My first reaction would have been to call a locksmith, after that break the window which might have been less expensive. I really don't know what you can do if the frame is bent up. Have you called the factory to see what they think?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Rookie Airstreamer

RoadToad Reply..

No I haven't called the factory yet....I guess that would be a good start....Looks like I learned an expensive lesson......Jake
Old 05-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If I had a buck for each lesson I've learned, I could retire...don't be too hard on yourself....but do contact tech support at Airstream and see what they think...if possible, get a few pics of it in case they ask...might be helpful.....
Old 05-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Locked out!

I've locked myself out of our 2005 CCD twice!! Both times fortunately I had my keys with me. There's a flaw in the door lock mechanism that when you open the door, then step down with your hand on the latch, you inadvertenly push over the lock mechanism......it's really easy to do To address this, I carry my keys around my neck, but haven't contacted Airstream to see if there's a fix.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Strange, I've had this design for almost 3 years and never had that happen. I saw some units on the line the week before last and they appeared to have the same setup I have on our 2004 Safari and the same that we had on our 2003 Bambi.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Rookie Airstreamer

CCD door from RT

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I just emailed Airstream with my VIN number.

Thats was a very good point that was just brought up by Jordan. I was sure that I didn't lock that door! I'll have to see what Airstream has to say.

Jake
Old 05-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Locked out

We owned a 22' CCD before this, and it never happened to us. I've noticed the lock knob is much easier to push over in our 28' CCD, maybe contributing to this happening without much effort. So there must be some sort of tension device keeping it in the unlocked position that may have to be adjusted.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I did too

I locked myself out three times inadvertently with the handle, twice at home then once in Florida last year wuth the Safari and once again this year with the Classic. The dog was inside and so was my purse and keys. Luckily I had lock out insurance for the one time I did not have the extra keys. Even being cognizant of the possibility has not staved off repetition 100%. Now I even back up my backup plans!

I read in another post that someone puts a peg or some such thing to prevent the sliding lock from engaging all the way. I haven't tried that as I do usually have my keys on my person while camping and traveling and I like to use the latch for keyless locking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
I've locked myself out of our 2005 CCD twice!! Both times fortunately I had my keys with me. There's a flaw in the door lock mechanism that when you open the door, then step down with your hand on the latch, you inadvertenly push over the lock mechanism......it's really easy to do To address this, I carry my keys around my neck, but haven't contacted Airstream to see if there's a fix.

Jim

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
Rookie Airstreamer

Unhappy roadtoad from Oregon

I was reading my warranty by USI. I could have had a lock smith come and unlock my door for $25. Maybe I'll email my insurance also to see what they say.....I know what the answerr will be......Jake
Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The lock on my '77 Excella 500 would not open twice in one day without multiple trys and a few choice words. I replaced the tumbler after talking with Inland RV then placed an entire duplicate of keys in the glove compartment of my tow vehicle. This way, if the door locks, at least I will have another set available for the door, battery boxes/other compartments, UNLESS I made the mistake of leaving the truck keys in the trailer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #12
Rookie Airstreamer

Airstream Answer From Road Toad

I got an answer back from Airstream and they are going to send this issue over to their technical department. They werre not aware this was a problem. Thanks Jake