Old 09-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
1978 door lock parts??

hi all,
is there any source for AS door lock parts?? i have a door lock number 380747. the PO forced the outside handle and damaged it. the number of the outside handle is 35143. can these parts be ordered?? thanks, tuna

Old 09-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Charlie,

I don't know if these parts are available. My lock was broken and I had it fixed by a local machine shop. Are you able to describe the damage or post a picture? That would really help in getting this fixed.

Joe

Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #3

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
thanks joe,
the outside handle was bent outwords since the lock cylinder would not allow the latch to move. normally the latch is engaged and moved to the left by a finger on the backside of the handle. since the latch was locked the finger remained stationary and the handle was bent out of shape. now the bent handle will not move the latch enough to release the door. i have disassembled the lock and hammered out the handle to which it now has more movement on the latch when i re-assembled it. again, i am 360 miles from my AS and will not really know if it is enough until next week, when i travel north. in the mean time i would gladly like to purchase the outside handle (part #35143) and if this doesn't work -- my butt will be covered!!!
thanks again, charlie tuna
Old 09-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Sorry, Charlie. No pun, but that is a tough problem. With my luck in repairing things like this in the past, I would be overzealous and break the aluminum. Good luck.

I do not know where to get that part but may be able to get one fabricated. Let me know and I can inquire.

Where is your coach that it is so far away from you?
Joe
Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
My 1978 Argosy lock was busted, I bought the one from Inland RV, and it worked fine. My husband played around with it, as you do have to make some changes and it does not look the same. But I had searched around and could not find parts and original was so busted it was unrepairable. The lock was priced I thought reasonable.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
If I recall correctly, the '78 lock does not have replacement parts available. If yours can't be repaired you'll have a couple of options. You could check into salvaged parts. Those locks were used in '78 through '91 apparently, so your chances are pretty good. There is an off the shelf repalcement which is smaller and would require you to fill-in the larger hole with aluminum sheet. You can check Andy's website for the part #22390 at http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/

Good luck, Tuna! I hope your lock's fixed as it is!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #7

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
wel bad news!!! the lock was re-installed and would not travel enough to release the latch. there is now some give in the handle due to the damaged break in the handle's surface. my last ditch effort will be to see if this material can be welded or brased --- it's pot metal i think??? the entire lock is in very good condition except for the damaged handle. if the handle can be bent back to it's original shape and then locked in place by welding it should be as good as new...... whatch think?? tuna
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #8

1986 25' Sovereign
Monument , Colorado
I've got an 86 Sov with the same problem except mine is completely busted off now thanks to the local AS dealer. It's easy enough to open with a long key or screwdriver. I'm thinking I can modify a similarly colored door hinge to fit into the pocket and save some $160. Nothing to lose but a $2 hinge and it would be a lot stronger than the cheap metal they use for these things.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Entrance door locks

Substitute entrance door locks are available for the 1978 to 1991 trailers.

Parts to repair the originals are no longer available.

Andy