Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
New Member
 
1974 25' Tradewind
albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
1974 Tradewind door handle

my 74' airstream tradewind's door hand is broke. the pins that work the latch on the exterior door handle is missing. Does anyone know how to fix it or where i can buy another door handle/latch assembly? I just bought the tradewind yesterday so i'm trying to do all the small projects now.
__________________

__________________
jpatton3515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatton3515 View Post
my 74' airstream tradewind's door hand is broke. the pins that work the latch on the exterior door handle is missing. Does anyone know how to fix it or where i can buy another door handle/latch assembly? I just bought the tradewind yesterday so i'm trying to do all the small projects now.
1970 to 1977 Airstreams entrance door lock is called a "KT lock".

An Airstream parts stocking dealer will have those parts.

Be aware, that the parts are not cheap, as a new KT lock costs almost $500.00, not installed, plus shipping.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
The door lock on your trailer is a very pricey and hard to find item. Here is a breakdown of the parts: Airstream Lock 1970-77
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
If the pin you are refering to is thru the bolt shaft. Which is operated by the pawl on the end of the shaft that is rotated when you pull the exterior handle.
It is a roll pin or split pin. They are available at most Auto Parts stores.
With the appropriate size pin punch, you can drive the broken pin out and install a new pin.
Pulling too hard on the handle and slamming the door closed is what breaks this pin. I always hold the handle out when closing the door.
Be sure to hold the spring and cap back when installing the new pin.
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
pickerdd's Avatar
 
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
I have the same door handle/lock mentioned at the beginning of the thread in my '71 Safari. The problem I have is that the door latch doesn't recede all the way into the main assembly. Instead of the latch (sku 3035 from the diagram mentioned earlier in the thread) being flat with main assembly, the end of the latch stays out about 1/16". The door closes all the way, but it doesn't fully latch unless you push it kind of hard once it contacts the striker in the door frame.

I'm tempted to attempt to remove it and to clean it, but I'd hate to screw it up and have the internal pieces fall out and not be able to get it all back together. Usually I would just take it a part and figure it out on the fly, but I'm coming up on a 2 week trip starting the first week of September and I don't want to do something stupid to the latch this close to heading out.

Any advice?

Thanks!
__________________
- David
1971 23' Airstream Safari - "Moe"
2017 Ford F350 4x4 6.7 CCLB - Silver/Black - "Max"
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
I have the same door handle/lock mentioned at the beginning of the thread in my '71 Safari. The problem I have is that the door latch doesn't recede all the way into the main assembly. Instead of the latch (sku 3035 from the diagram mentioned earlier in the thread) being flat with main assembly, the end of the latch stays out about 1/16". The door closes all the way, but it doesn't fully latch unless you push it kind of hard once it contacts the striker in the door frame.

I'm tempted to attempt to remove it and to clean it, but I'd hate to screw it up and have the internal pieces fall out and not be able to get it all back together. Usually I would just take it a part and figure it out on the fly, but I'm coming up on a 2 week trip starting the first week of September and I don't want to do something stupid to the latch this close to heading out.

Any advice?

Thanks!

David.

Apply some silicone spray to the striker bolt and striker pocket.

You will be amazed at the results.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
colberjs's Avatar
 
1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 421
I'm sorry to hijack but while we are on the subject of door handles, can anybody tell me what kind of handle was originally on my '64 Sovereign?

Thanks.
__________________
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
Pickerdd: the lock assembly won't fall into pieces when you take it out of the door. You will need to remove the inside handle (1 set screw) and the lock handle. Which, if original is a small shoulder bolt. It is just below the inside handle. There are 2 or 3 screws thru the inside skin and one thru the edge of the door.
Depending on the circumstances, you may have to remove a couple of rivets on the inside skin in order for the inside door handle shaft to clear the skin. The whole lock assembly is removed from the outside.
Some other things to check is how the door sets in the opening. There should be equal space or gap around the door. If you are using stabilizer jacks, make sure they are just tight enough to prevent movement of the trailer. If they are too tight they can distort the shell and cause door problems.
I always hold the exterior door handle out when closing the door. This lock assembly is not very robust and you can damage it if the door is slammed shut. Do you know if the PO installed a new gasket on the door. This could be the reason you have to push on it to get the bolt to fully engage the striker pocket.
Personally I would rather have a door that latches tight as opposed to one that is lose in the striker pocket.
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
pickerdd's Avatar
 
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
David.

Apply some silicone spray to the striker bolt and striker pocket.

You will be amazed at the results.

Andy
Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll spray some lubricant where you suggested.

Thanks,
__________________
- David
1971 23' Airstream Safari - "Moe"
2017 Ford F350 4x4 6.7 CCLB - Silver/Black - "Max"
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
pickerdd's Avatar
 
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
TG Twinkie,

Thanks for the info! I'll wait to remove the lock assembly until I get back from my trip out to Kansas. I appreciate the detailed information.
__________________

__________________
- David
1971 23' Airstream Safari - "Moe"
2017 Ford F350 4x4 6.7 CCLB - Silver/Black - "Max"
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.