Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
1974 Argosy screen door

Could someone please post a picture of the interior latch of the screen door on a 1974 Argosy. I believe the PO may have changed mine. As it will not latch correctly.
Thank you
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It's the same latch that is used on the storage compartments under the gaucho and other cabinets. The one on the inside of each of the doors.
Even that latch is a pain in the you know what. Just 2 days ago I changed ours over to a magnet. None of that reaching thru the opening in the screen door to unlatch it now. Just push or pull and the screen door is open.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
It's the same latch that is used on the storage compartments under the gaucho and other cabinets. The one on the inside of each of the doors.
Even that latch is a pain in the you know what. Just 2 days ago I changed ours over to a magnet. None of that reaching thru the opening in the screen door to unlatch it now. Just push or pull and the screen door is open.

I have that same black latch on the door, however on the frame is a white catch. The two do not seem to work together.

I do like the magnet idea.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my two Argosy's there is a spring loaded nylon ball (white) that pushes into a white nylon catch on the door frame. The spring was too strong, so I took the thing apart and cut a coil off it to make it less aggressive. Unfortunately, I am a not able to take a photo of it now, as I am not at home.

TG Twinkle, how did you do your magnet solution? Any photos of it?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Could someone please post a picture of the interior latch of the screen door on a 1974 Argosy. I believe the PO may have changed mine. As it will not latch correctly.
Thank you

You can see the black latches in this photo. One holding the screen to the main door and one on the screen to hold it closed. The link to ODM shows the white plastic door strike for the door frame and the black latch in use. Note that ODM says this is not the original latch but advertising photos from that era show that very latch set up.

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_109&pro ducts_id=498&zenid=b41c50fa004265e44d9bfba0d382f07 7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy door.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	150222  
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The white ball latch I mentioned was the one which holds the screen door in place when the main door is open. Mine have that same black latch to hold the screen door to the main door when closed so they open together. I forgot there are two different ones. And now, not sure which the original post was referring to.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Idroba: can't post pics here, but if you PM me with your email address. I'll take some and send them to you.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Idroba: can't post pics here, but if you PM me with your email address. I'll take some and send them to you.
It was Tiger's original post I was referring to. It is not a problem with my Argosy, but his. But I am sure he would like the photos, maybe of both the way the screen door holds to the main door when both are open, and the way the screen door holds to the frame when the main door is open and the screen door is shut. It was not clear in his original post which latch he wanted help with.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sorry! Guess I didn't go up far enough. Maybe tiger will catch this.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Here are 2 pix's of my latch. What am I not understanding here. "Ganglin" posted a link to a pix that shows mine may not be over far enough to the strike. But it is riveted in so it could not have moved. It was also suggested that maybe the door has sprung. It looks to be spaced equally on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8743.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	162921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8745.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	162922  

Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger
Here are 2 pix's of my latch. What am I not understanding here. "Ganglin" posted a link to a pix that shows mine may not be over far enough to the strike. But it is riveted in so it could not have moved. It was also suggested that maybe the door has sprung. It looks to be spaced equally on both sides.
I dunno...but that nylon catch looks like it is on backwards. Shouldnt the slide enter into the catch?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The nylon catch is mounted the same way in my '74. I know it looks like it is backward but it worked. I have since installed magnets. Got tired of reaching inside to unlatch the screen door.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
TG, can you send a pix of you magnet modification?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Here are pics of the magnets and targets the magnets stick to. The magnet used in the door jamb is one I robbed from an old computer hard drive. It is a very powereful rare earth magnet. I just carved out the jamb so that the magnet would sit flush and not interfer with the screen door closing.
The round magnet mounted on the sliding part of the screen door is available at most hardware stores. I also serves as the handle for sliding the access door open.
The targets are just scrap metal I had laying around. I may pretty them up down the road.

Screen Door pictures by dougbowman88 - Photobucket
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
It may be the white nylon piece is not in it's proper place if the black latch has not been moved. Not sure you can tell for sure on the black piece without removing it to see if there is another set of holes under it. The nylon piece is mounted facing the correct direction in your pic.

Notice how the white catch has a lip that wraps around the door frame in the listing from ODM. Yours seems to have that piece cut or broken off? The black portion only extends onto the white catch, at most, a quarter inch. We never open and reach in to unlatch it - you just pull or push the door to make it catch.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote