Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

Belle , West Virginia
1972 Interstate Keys (lost)

Anyone happen to know of an easier way to get keys (door and outside compartments) made? My only set (I know - who only has ONE set) was lost and I fear that calling a locksmith will cost a small fortune. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
BrookeGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #2

Belle , West Virginia
Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
BrookeGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Sorry. I can't help you with your current problem. I'd say call around to a few locksmiths and see. Tell them you're not in a hurry and see if they can work you in sometime when they don't have a call? Might not help but it's worth a shot.

But for anyone else reading this and wondering...I too only had one set of keys for my 1977 Tradewind. There was a number on my keys (like a part #) so when I wanted a second set I googled that part number since none of my local key places had blanks that would fit. Lo and behold when I googled that part number all that I found were already cut keys. I decided to take a chance and I bought one and it worked! So I then turned around and bought about 5 in total so I have spares in every car, my office, my house, and a few other places as well.

I don't know if I should be excited about that or not, but my feeling has always been that locks only keep the honest out anyways. If someone wants to break in, not having a key is not going to stop them.

So if you only have one set of keys, look for a number and Google search it. You might get lucky like I did.

Good luck to you!
ajcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What model RV do you have? Airstream didn't start making the Interstate model until the mid-2000's, and if you need keys for it, you will need to contact both Airstream and Mercedes.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was thinking that, too, that this might be a Westphalia.

Also that a locksmith is probably your best bet for door keys, but a dealership may be able to help replace the ignition key with a VIN number.

Be prepared to produce proof of ownership.

Maggie