Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Kinglake , Victoria
1968 Sovereign door lock

Hi there,
does anyone here have a picture or diagram of the parts of the door lock mechanism for the 1968 Sovereign?
The lock seemed to have had a broken key at some stage and in the process of repairing it seems that some internal part was removed and now the lock cannot be "locked" in place. It shuts okay, but cannot be fixed/locked. There are a couple of empty screw holes. Anyway I don't have the AS with me, it's at the mechanic and he asked me to look for a diagram so he can maybe make that part. 2 locksmiths have been consulted, but could not work out the needed part.
Thank you for any pics or clues or part numbers in case this can be ordered online.
Regards,
Germanaussie
Germanaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
try this at least a start...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...9-a-28390.html
Old 11-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello Germanaussie! I have a 66 Trade Wind and the son has a 69 Globetrotter. Airstream used a Bargman L-100 (knob inside) or L-200 (lever inside) lock back in those days.

There are many threads in these Forums concerning the Bargman lock. The deal is they are no longer available and parts are rare. There are a few Forum members who specialize in these locks and likely can help you.

The big deal is these locks were specially outfitted with a 3 1/2" backset between knob and edge of door due to the cast aluminum door frame. So a hardware store lock won't fit the odd distance between the knob and the edge of the door.

Vintage Trailer Supply has a good video explaining these old locks. Check out their website. They have a specially made deadbolt that converts a standard Bargman L-100 to the special Airstream 3 1/2" setback. I purchased one of these parts and converted a used Bargman lock I purchased on e-bay. My original lock was beyond repair due to missing parts.

New old stock and used locks are available on e-bay. The price is very high as the supply of locks is very low. $500 is a common buy it now price. But you can take a look and see what might be available.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Kinglake , Victoria
Thanks Melody Ranch and David,
I have forwarded the info on to my mechanic, I hope he can find in those pictures what part is missing and manufacture it, so I don't have to order anything. I could not find those videos on the vintage trailer supply website.
Anyway, I hope this suffice.
Thanks again,
Germanaussie
Germanaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
I've reworked the Bargman L-100 on our '67 Safari a couple of times. The lock was not the best design and it has the quirk that it might lock you out so be sure you always have a key with you. Vintage Trailer Supply now has a reconditioned lock on their website for $230.

My solution was to buy the custom deadbolt from VTS which mounts in the door jamb and provides real security. I then filed off the nub within the Bargman that allows it to lock so it won't lock me out.

Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bargman L-100 pdf Exploded View.pdf (92.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
My '67 Overlander has a Bargman L106 door lock which has a 6" long slide bolt and knobs inside and out. I can confirm what another poster said about these locks locking you out. It is my experience that this can occur when the inside screws holding the lock together vibrate loose. This can be avoided by removing the lock once in a while and ensuring the screws are snug.

Another way you can be locked out is if the opening tang on the back end of the slide bolt breaks off. There are two tangs, one pushed by a small cam turned by the outside knob and the other is pushed by another small cam when the knob or lever on the inside of the door is turned. If that happens the only way to get in or out as the case may be is through the rear window which serves as the emergency exit.

The inside tang broke off my slide bolt forcing me to climb out the back window. A local machine shop made a new slide bolt out of mild steel using the old broken one as a pattern. Working fine so far.

Another possible source of parts for these is Silver Trailer Supply in Utah. I don't have the link handy but you can google them. They are pretty knowledgeable.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF0st3r View Post
My solution was to buy the custom deadbolt from VTS which mounts in the door jamb and provides real security. I then filed off the nub within the Bargman that allows it to lock so it won't lock me out.

Jim
I agree with JRF0st3r that a deadbolt is the way to go. I wouldn't trust an old lock to keep the door closed during travelling nor to not lock me out.

On our '74 Sovereign I rebuilt the original door lock so it would close and latch properly, but also replaced the deadbolt with a new one. A deadbolt had been installed previously (maybe from the factory?) but it had worn out and no longer worked reliably with the key. I wasn't able to use the VTS custom deadbolt without patching the old hole, but was able to fabricate a 3/8" diameter bolt like the VTS lock has for the new lock I purchased.

While repairing the original door lock I altered it so it could not lock accidentally and lock us in or out.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
If you need assistance with the Bargman L-100 or L-200 locks I will be glad to assist you. I have lots of used parts as well as new and used locks. I also have the OEM Rebuild Kits for these models as well. A lot of times it will be something very simple to fix the lock,

Just send me a private message and I will be glad to help you or anyone else having problems with the Bargman locks.
Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
I was originally going to try and find a replacement key for our Bargman lock (it is in good shape but has no key). But now I'm thinking it may be a better idea to install a good deadbolt with a key. Could I reuse the same "hole" of the current exterior deadbolt (it is keyless and was installed to stop the door from opening while on the road).
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisetmike View Post
I was originally going to try and find a replacement key for our Bargman lock (it is in good shape but has no key). But now I'm thinking it may be a better idea to install a good deadbolt with a key. Could I reuse the same "hole" of the current exterior deadbolt (it is keyless and was installed to stop the door from opening while on the road).
You could probably use the same hole for a new deadbolt. They seem to be mostly the same size. I had to file the hole in the exterior skin a little larger for the new one I installed.

An issue with deadbolts is that if you use the common sized bolt, the hole required in the door frame (the frame of the actual moving part of the door, not the wall part) can weaken the door and if it ever flies open it can break the frame. This had happened to our '74 Sovereign and was a pain to fix. That's why VTS sells the modified lock with a 3/8" bolt allowing it to be used with a much smaller hole in the door frame. That lock also requires a larger setback, so it probably won't fit the hole you already have.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, sovereign