Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
1968 OH Trade Wind Door Lock

Hello,
I have a 1968 Trade Wind. I'm having trouble with my door lock. One of the tumblers popped out of the cylinder, and I was unable to locate it.

I tried to find a replacement cylinder. This search became complicated by my search through the forums and retail parts stores.

I published photos of my lock as I took it apart, piece by piece to see if I could free the cylinder from the exterior handle.

The outside handle is so neat. I have not seen it on any other examples. The inside looks like other Chesler T-5 locks I have seen online.

I see nothing on my lock that identifies it as Bargman. I have learned that the L-100 might have been on my trailer originally. Maybe this Chesler was a replacement? Or a Jackson Center feature?

The retail options are not happy for me, but I might have no choice. I want to be able to keep that kewl handle on the outside.

By the way, my lock, obviously, has the long bolt for the wide set-back of the lock.

Any ideas about how I might be able to keep this lock, replace the cylinder, keep the outside handle in use.

Thanks.
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am assuming you are talking about the lock cylinder where the key goes. Have you been able to remove the cylinder from the handle? From the pic the cylinder doesn't look a whole lot different from that used in the L-77 handle used in the '59 and '60 A$'s.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
The lock cylinder looks like it is indeed a Bargman L-77 or version 1 L-66 lock cylinder. I just bought two from walley on eBay and he has placed an ad in the classified section. For less than $20 you can have a new cylinder. Look to see if there is a small hole on the outside of the lock where the key goes in. You have to drive a pin in this hole downward to release the cylinder. The lock will be pushed out from the inside half of the lock. To install the cylinder, you insert the new cylinder with the key inserted. When you remove the key the small pin is push upward into the small hole securing it in place. There is a you tube video showing how to change out the cylinder. Search for "replacing Bargman L-66 lock cylinder". Another option is to just replace that lock with a new L-100 lock. See classified for that as well. Hope this helps. Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In removing the lock cylinder, you should have the key in a certain position in order to push the retaining pin down. By putting a slight pressure on the pin and rotating the key, you will feel that position. Once the pin is depressed the cylinder should slide out the front.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Consensus among respondents is that the lock cylinder and key set is L 77 or 66. Here is one option I found for buying one or 12 replacement cylinders: http://www.vendio.com/stores/locks24...emplate=iphone

Does this item look like the cylinder I'm looking for?
http://www.vendio.com/stores/locks24.../catId=3101454

I'm going to attempt to extract the cylinder for comparison. A locksmith told me I would have to drill out the pin. I do see that the pin moves. But, since the one tumbler popped out into the mud -- here in North Carolina, where I am camping for the month -- I cannot turn the key anymore.

I'll give the key and pin a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-235718429.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	166504

Also, the post that receives a screw in the mechanism broke away from the plate. This post looks like it might be pivotal for the most torque involved in moving the bolt back and forth, as in opening and closing the door. Could there be a work-around for this post, or am I SOL?

Please don't say JB Weld. :^o Pot metal is broken, but I am envisioning some kind of bolt/spacer/nut trick. Check it out, the hole on the face of the exterior plate is the point of attachment for a screw that attaches to the thing that moves the bolt. The handle and pin are misleading in orientation to the broken post. 90 degrees rotation of the handle/cylinder pin to the left is correct.

Name:	image-2817319361.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	166511

That's all for now until I report back on trying to remove the cylinder.

Thanks,
IndyAnne
Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
More research found my door lock on an old thread, started in 2003: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...html#post33461

My door lock set is Chesler. Finding a replacement cylinder will be another adventure.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453....html#poststop

This is from Steve at VTS:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...eamchesler.jpg

"Chesler (available with or without AIRSTREAM on lever handle; or with a smooth knob). Later Bargman L-100, L-200 fits same opening and is essentially the same lock, but with a serrated grip handle on the outside. Note that cylinders on old and new locks are not interchangeable. Vintage Trailer Supply has a few new old stock cylinders for this lock, but they are obsolete."

The page of vintage trailer locks is here:
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Articles.asp?ID=155
Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks to the tips offered here, I was able to remove the cylinder from the outside handle. Now I am searching for a replacement cylinder. On the classified site, I might have found it. But I'm still looking in case it doesn't work out.

The end of the cylinder has a 1/4" wide blade that engages with the slotted end of a part that is part of the locking mechanism, shown below.

[ATTACH]166614[/ATTACH

Name:	image-4271713891.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	166615

Name:	image-611244857.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	166617

Name:	image-2216159793.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	166616

Name:	image-25020808.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	166618

Two points to clarify:
The lock set I have uses the same size opening in the door as Bargman L-66, or -77, but the brand is Chesler. The numbers visible on the escutcheon plate inside have Chesler T-5 and a serial number, 3266277, on the inside of the inside plate. The inside of the inside handle has Chesler 47 T-6.

The cylinder I am looking for might be from a brand named Hurd, made for a Ford. A locksmith I took the whole set to said the key is like an old Ford key. Maybe also used in Studebaker before Ford.

So far I have two possible sources for a new cylinder and keys. I'll post back when I get more info.

Thanks!
Anne
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3794974104.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	166614  
Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looks like the same lock cylinder that I use in the L-77 handles. You can get them from Vintage Trailer Supply.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
TG, I hope you are right. I'm asking around the net, chasing down all kinds of leads. I'm away from home, I should be fly fishing instead, but I have to figure out how to camp safely, lock up when I am gone, and get home where I hope the part will be waiting.

And, more discovery today: I have been feeling brave today. I was able to take my cylinder apart. First thing I noticed was how greasy the thing is. I thought the end of it was black, but, it actually is shiny chrome. And, it has a number: 585

Name:	image-797968174.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	166652

Name:	image-2697617853.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	166653

I took out all the tumblers, and the piece that locks the inner and outer parts of the cylinder, and the brass post that holds the cylinder in the handle. The good part is that I can put the cylinder, minus the tumblers, back together into the lock set and use the lock at least to latch the door. Right now I am using a concoction of wire, a curtain rod, and, of course, duct tape.

Gosh, I hope a lock-picking thief is not reading this. I take all my stuff with me when I leave the Airstream.

Anne
Indianapolis
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
I updated this topic (entry door lock set) on my remodeling thread. Meanwhile I learned a lot about how locks with tumblers work. Love Airforums.com!

Tags