Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
1967 Door Question

I have a 67 Globetrotter that has the standard Bargman door hardware (currently won't lock) and a deadbolt right below it. Problem is, the deadbolt has a turn latch on both the interior and exterior. There is no way to lock it from the inside without someone being able to open it from the outside.

My question - is this deadbolt original? Or is it an aftermarket product? I can't seem to find a small deadbolt like this on any of the vintage websites.

It has a very small throw (maybe 1/4" round). I'm going to be launching my project next month and have no real security or a way to protect the contents.

Any suggestions? I am considering replacing the upper lock so I can have at least one working lock - but that won't be able to lock from the inside.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02610.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	124596  

star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
My 67 Safari has the same set up...i believe the deadbolt is more a safety-while-towing lock...you could possibly get key made for the other lock...

WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
I have a 67 Globetrotter that has the standard Bargman door hardware (currently won't lock) and a deadbolt right below it. Problem is, the deadbolt has a turn latch on both the interior and exterior. There is no way to lock it from the inside without someone being able to open it from the outside.

My question - is this deadbolt original? Or is it an aftermarket product? I can't seem to find a small deadbolt like this on any of the vintage websites.

It has a very small throw (maybe 1/4" round). I'm going to be launching my project next month and have no real security or a way to protect the contents.

Any suggestions? I am considering replacing the upper lock so I can have at least one working lock - but that won't be able to lock from the inside.

Thanks!
That bottom lock, is not a "dead bolt". And it is original.

It is, however a "travel lock", only.

By design, you can latch and unlatch it from the outside.

The from the inside, you can only unlatch it. That is how is is supposed to work.

Why unlatching it only from the inside? That's in case someone locked you in, from the outside, you can still open the lock from the inside.

Take the top lock off and examine it. It may need a lubing, or it may be worn out.

Replacement locks are still some what available for it.

Hope this helps you.

Andy
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Andy - if I repair or replace the upper lock, I can't see anywhere inside the trailer where you can lock it from the inside.

Do you have to lock the outer lock then walk inside and pull it shut?

How do you keep the boogey man out?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That bottom lock, is not a "dead bolt". And it is original.

It is, however a "travel lock", only.

By design, you can latch and unlatch it from the outside.

The from the inside, you can only unlatch it. That is how is is supposed to work.

Why unlatching it only from the inside? That's in case someone locked you in, from the outside, you can still open the lock from the inside.

Take the top lock off and examine it. It may need a lubing, or it may be worn out.

Replacement locks are still some what available for it.

Hope this helps you.

Andy
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Just turn the handle inside, I forget which way, one way allows you to open the door, the other way it will "click" into the locked position.
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
From the inside, shut the door, then pull upwards on the handle. You'll hear a clunk as the locking mechanism kicks in. To open, push down, as usual.

Our upper died, and I did an el-cheapo repair: Buy a new, cheap one, take apart both new and old, and install the old (and elongated) shaft into the new lock. This works as long as the old shaft is in ok shape.

Lynn
Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Do the safe while towing locks work ok? I mean are they to be trusted to keep the door closed? I usually use a bungee as extra precaution.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I replaced the deadbolt on our 65 Safari with a new stainless steel one from Vintage Trailer Supply. It is keyed on the outside and a wing nut on the inside. Works great, adds security and looks good also.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Ours seems to work, but given the humongous damaged caused when a suicide door opens while underway, we added a doo-hicky to ours to prevent just that.

Seems like Richard (azflycaster) showed a pic of his somewhere on the forums. I'll ask around.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Do the safe while towing locks work ok? I mean are they to be trusted to keep the door closed? I usually use a bungee as extra precaution.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
67 Different than 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I replaced the deadbolt on our 65 Safari with a new stainless steel one from Vintage Trailer Supply. It is keyed on the outside and a wing nut on the inside. Works great, adds security and looks good also.
I think the length of the bolt is not long enough on the VTS version for a 67 door.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy - if I repair or replace the upper lock, I can't see anywhere inside the trailer where you can lock it from the inside.

How do you keep the boogey man out?

Thanks!
If the inside handle is round, turn it "counter clockwise" to engage the lock.

If the handle is a bar, it should face to the right, when your inside. With that handle, simply lift it "UP" to engage the lock.

Andy
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I needed to go to the front of the park anyway, so I got the camera and took a couple of shots of the failsafe we use.

The shot of the failsafe is in the attached picture called "lock.jpg." It's in closed position (i.e., underway).

The second attached picture, called "storage.jpg," is one of the failsafe in storage position. It's got a second notch up close to the string. This is so that I can reverse the whole thing for use while we're parked. (If it's just hanging there by the string, it tends to bounce around in the wind. Not loud, but just enough to drive you nuts on a windy night.)

Lynn
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:

Thanks!
DON"T DO THAT it will break the yoke inside the lock as the door will not close when locked. It's expensive to repair. Always lock the door with the key outside and with the knob inside.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I needed to go to the front of the park anyway, so I got the camera and took a couple of shots of the failsafe we use.

The shot of the failsafe is in the attached picture called "lock.jpg." It's in closed position (i.e., underway).

The second attached picture, called "storage.jpg," is one of the failsafe in storage position. It's got a second notch up close to the string. This is so that I can reverse the whole thing for use while we're parked. (If it's just hanging there by the string, it tends to bounce around in the wind. Not loud, but just enough to drive you nuts on a windy night.)

Lynn
Thanks! I plan on securing the door during travel but I'm concerned right now with not being able to lock the trailer either while I'm away or sleeping at night.

I think the upper lock may need replaced and I have since learned the lower lock is for travel only.

Looks like I can get a replacement for about $130.00.

Tags