Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Leiceser , North Carolina
1962 Trade Wind Door MISSING!

Hello all, the wife and I are considering buying our first Airstream. It is a local 24' 1962 Trade Wind and is fairly complete and priced right. The only major problem is the main entrance door is missing! Is this a deal breaker? Will it be impossible to find and put back on? Will it cost $$$?

Please help, Thanks!
Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
That is, in my opinion, the best vintage of airstream (59 thru Early 60's), so I could "forgive" a lot of "short comings" . . . but a missing door is pretty bad. The good news is that the donor doesn't have to be a Tradewind, and there might even be a year or two in either direction that'll work . . . but it'll still be pretty difficult to find. Maybe one could be fabricated(?).

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If the door is missing, how much rain got inside to rot the floor?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Expect to spend 800-1200$ for a door. Or look fora donor trailer.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
If the door is missing, how much rain got inside to rot the floor?

Not much - the owner fixed a sheet of fiberglass from the inside. Does anyone know of an airstream junkyard?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge View Post
Not much - the owner fixed a sheet of fiberglass from the inside. Does anyone know of an airstream junkyard?
google Colaws
Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would want to know WHY the door is missing. If it got damaged because if came open while driving there may be some underlying damage that will need additional repair too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Try Silver Trailer Supply. He has that kinda stuff. Great to deal with, too.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
A '62 TW is a real find in any condition. Yes a door is going to be tough to come by, but if all else is in reasonable condition and you think the price is acceptable why not? You have an ace in the hole. Your post, "the wife and I". That's the way to do this stuff. Enjoy the restore.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
The door is the favorite part of our trailer so it would be kind of a deal breaker for us!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
A '62 TW is a real find in any condition. Yes a door is going to be tough to come by, but if all else is in reasonable condition and you think the price is acceptable why not? You have an ace in the hole. Your post, "the wife and I". That's the way to do this stuff. Enjoy the restore.

Yeah, actually this is HER idea ... I know, go figure, but it is a very good solution for us, so I'm totally on board! Aside from the missing door, this camper seems to be in very complete, un-molested and un-restored condition. I checked the floor plan vs. the 1962 AS website and most of the cabinetry/fixtures seem to be intact. So, it might be a diamond in the VERY rough...
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Was the door removed by drilling out the rivets or was it torn off? I bet that you will basically need to find a donor trailer to buy a door. Colaws won't have one, all of their stuff is late model, or it has been every time I've been there.

Hopefully that trailer isn't one that was bought to get a door and now it's for sale. I've seen folks get all wound up over trailers that have been used for parts and get sold. The buyer sees a good deal...all they need are all of the windows, doors and interior...that's where the $$$$ are.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I would want to know WHY the door is missing. If it got damaged because if came open while driving there may be some underlying damage that will need additional repair too.

Aaron
Ditto! Was the trailer in the midst of being sold off for parts because of some damage it has/had? That could be an important issue. Have a close look at the hinges, may hold a hint or two.

To be followed up with the seller, IMHO...
Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
The camper is currently parked an a vacant house on the side of a hill that is covered with NASTY briars. I cannot really check out what is going on close up. I will see if I can go Monday with a machete and gloves and take some pics.

Is there anything else I should look at that would be a nightmare to repair?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
EMOTION - good, bad, ugly?

Quote:
The camper is currently parked an a vacant house on the side of a hill that is covered with NASTY briars. I cannot really check out what is going on close up. I will see if I can go Monday with a machete and gloves and take some pics.

Is there anything else I should look at that would be a nightmare to repair?
"vacant house... covered with NASTY briars"

In 25 words or less - neglect.

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Airstream. If it's been sitting with no door long enough for briars to grow up around it, the floor and frame are probably going to be toast, and will smell like eau de mouse urine. A barn find of the same vintage would probably be infinitely better.

Members of these forums generally love their Airstreams, though like all long term relationships, there can be times you'd file for a divorce in a heartbeat. I got my very gently used Eddie Bauer from a well off doctor who'd never owned an RV, saw one in the Eddie Bauer catalog and fell in lust, could afford to pay cash for the thing with every bell and whistle known to man added on... and then realized he was either afraid to tow it... or wanted to have valet and maid service instead of actually hooking up his own power cord, water hose and slinky. After about 10 months he chose to take a big hit and send it back to Colonial............. Now that man actually made a smart decision. He TOOK a hit, but if he'd let it sit in the yard for years and let moss grow on the roof, he'd have lost 80% of his purchase price instead of 30%.

By all means LOOK closely if you choose, and while you do keep chanting, "the factory made a lot of these, and they're still making new ones, there's always another one to find, and probably a better one within 5 miles of here." Don't fall in love with the first one you see. The odds are less than 5% that it's worth salvaging.

Paula
Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

By all means LOOK closely if you choose, and while you do keep chanting, "the factory made a lot of these, and they're still making new ones, there's always another one to find, and probably a better one within 5 miles of here." Don't fall in love with the first one you see. The odds are less than 5% that it's worth salvaging.

Paula

Thanks for the advice Paula - I love the "factory made a lot of these"... Well we got permission from the owner to really look it over so I grabbed my machete and weed eater and went to take some pics. Check link below...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107571...7644561445834/
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
HELP, Please look at the pics in the post above and let us know if this is a HOT Mess??? I am an extremely handy guy, but I need to know it this one is toast before Saturday...
Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Definitely would be a lot of work to bring back to life. It would require a shell-off floor and frame restoration. The shell looks like it's in fair shape. It's hard to tell if any of the interior is salvageable. At least since it is mostly there, you could use it for templates. Personally, I'd give it a shot if the price were right, which would be pretty low. At a minimum, you could part it out if it proved to be too much.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
HELP, Please look at the pics in the post above and let us know if this is a HOT Mess??? I am an extremely handy guy, but I need to know it this one is toast before Saturday...
This is a great era & a good length & is a typical neglected early 60's Trade Wind, that needs everything, like most of them do. The biggest difference I see is the missing door. If you can get this for nothing, or next to nothing, then spend some $ for a door, you'll be at the same point as most others who start out with a "field find". It's very doable, but a lot of work, just like all the rest. It really comes down to if you're up for a project of this magnitude.
Good luck.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
it's going to be a project for sure.

Having said that, however, it's a nice model and a very good year. The shell looks very good other than that dent on the end cap. To me, a good shell is the most important thing--you know the subfloor will be rotten, you know that there may be some frame rot, but having a clean shell saves a lot of work.

The missing door is a really big deal, though. Maybe you can find one, but you may have to buy a parts trailer to get a door that may not even fit well without a bunch of work. If you've got a good dry place to work on the trailer, then you've got quite a bit of time with the project before you have to come up with a door.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags