Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What Map App and why?

I currently use Map Quest on my I Phone mainly because of the initial failure of Apple Maps.

What mapping app do you use on your smart device when traveling and why have you chosen that one? This is a fast evolving area and one that we may all benefit from with open discussion.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Great question -- I am in this to follow the answers.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I've been using Waze for a several years, since before it was bought by Google. It's great in urban areas where there are lots of users providing real time input on construction zones, road hazards, speed traps, accidents.

But I was suprised to find it also works way out in the boondocks of South Dakota.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A search reveals lots of other threads that mention the Waze App FYI:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...app&gsc.page=1

We are in the market for a new App also, and the showing of terrain is an important aspect. Google Maps does a good job of this when toggled on. Planning a route into new territory is aided immensely by seeing an overview of the terrain from a bird's eye view, especially with color-coded elevations. Gives a good sense of the mountains, valleys, passes and so forth. Makes it easy to visualize what the drive might "look like" when you get there.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Exeter , New Hampshire
WAZE is almost always on although I often drive with a dedicated GPS. Google Maps is good for quick searches and as a backup for routing and ETAs.
Tincandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I have been using apps less and letting On Star get me there. Seems to be more accurate.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
What Map App and why?

I use the NAVIGON application on an iPhone or an iPad plus a Bluetooth GPS since the iPad has no built-in GPS. It has a "truck" setting but I rarely use it. Maps are updated very regularly and it hasn't led me into the weeds yet. Google maps is the backup if I have a decent data connection.

I use the "Heavy Duty" application and a BT1 OBD II connector to monitor vehicle performance as well.

Add the HAM radio stuff, and the TV cockpit can start looking like the flight deck on a Space Shuttle. Which, IMHO, in a fun thing...for my inner geek.

Use the KOA app for trip planning, and do real navigation from the first Cracker Barrel we get to for a meal to the next one using their paper map.

Yeah, we travel weird...with a pack of rescue doggies along.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Google maps. We find RV parks real quick and it was very handy last summer
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love the Pocket Earth app...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...pp-137100.html

Maggie
Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Allstays App and Google....all you need...

http://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm
Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
We run Google maps on my Android phone, and use Garmin on the dashboard. Turns out the phone is usually more "correct" than Garmin.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
You should give Apple map another go...much improved, I think far superior to Google map. I now use it instead of the nav system built into my GMC - seems to give much better routing and more flexible search options. Has very good indication of current traffic snarls, as an added benefit. Also, constantly updated without any fees...
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Google maps is my go to navigator. It does not work when out of cell range, so I use the on board nav in the Tundra in those situations.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
You should give Apple map another go...much improved, I think far superior to Google map. I now use it instead of the nav system built into my GMC - seems to give much better routing and more flexible search options. Has very good indication of current traffic snarls, as an added benefit. Also, constantly updated without any fees...
If you could expand on your reasoning you may have the tie breaker I am interested in. Apple announced today they are opening a office in India and hiring 4,000 employees just to work on maps and surpass Google.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
CAUTION:
Remember any app that runs on your Cell Phone, iPAD, or other device that utilizes the Cellular Phone network for location, will not work if you do not have Cellular Coverage, for example remote locations.

Location accuracy is based on how many cell towers your device is getting a signal from. If for example you are in the middle of Southern Utah and your device only is receiving a signal from a single tower, your location may be very inaccurate.

Some apps make assumptions if only a single cell tower is available based on a highway your are on, a direction and speed you are going, until another cell tower signal is received. So if it may look like the device/phone is tracking you on a map with a moving icon, when in fact the application is guessing until another cell tower is contacted.

The only reliable location can only be received from a TRUE GPS receiver. A true GPS receiver receives signals from multiple satellites, and triangulates to your exact location.

There are small GPS receivers/radios that will pair with your cell phone or other device, and some mapping applications can be configured to use that GPS for accuracy in the absence of cellular towers.

You may be able to make a cell phone call with a single tower, and not be able to get an accurate physical location.

So just like a GPS which may take you down what looks like a good road, when in fact it is an impassable route without an off-road vehicle, you need to be very cautions and aware of the limitations of the device you are depending on.

I am sure some of you out there have a lot more information, can correct me where I am in error, and identify devices that have both Cellular radios and GPS radios integrated into the same device.

Be safe.
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the things I love about the Pocket Earth app is that it tracks your location in real time, step by step or block by block....no delay, waiting for the system to catch up with where you actually are.

Very helpful if you are directionally challenged.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
What Map App and why?

It is very true that not all smart phones have a GPS built in. You have to verify that the hardware exists.

I added an external GPS that uses Bluetooth to connect to my iPad. It's an older iPad with no GPS built in.

Without a GPS built in, the cell towers are used, and the phone needs to 'see' at least three for an accurate position. Otherwise it's all guesswork.

We won't get into the GPS coverage dropout issue other than to note that it can happen, and degrade the accuracy or just flat out get lost. It happens.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Waze

Waze app is the only way to fly. It gives you current road conditions, like objects in the road, disabled cars, traffic slow down, police etc.. It also gives you alternate routing if there is an accident or construction. More than once it has routed me around accidents on the back roads so that I came out in front of all the backup.

Waze uses updates from people using the Waze app. As you travel, your speed is monitored and uploaded to them. If multiple cars are slow or stopped, this is reported to you on the screen. You can see the backups and avoid them. If they are on your route Waze will look for the best route.

I have my smartphone in a cradle on the left and the Garmin in the center windshield. Waze, 90% of the time, has a better route. Garmin likes to take me on back roads even if I have set the option to use Interstates and avoid back roads. If Waze says turn left and Garmin says right, we go left. Waze has never put me in the middle of a forest and said 'you have arrived at your destination'. Garmin has

I have used Waze for many trips, short and long, over several years. I highly recommend it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
Google and Waze

I use Google and Waze. I like Google maps because I can plan out my trip on the Mac and then those links are there when I use Google on my iPhone. As Waze was bought by Google those links are there too. If you're interested in how I use this you can check out this test video about a book I'm about to release called, "Doin' The Southwest Adventure Caravan 2015"

Make sure to set the resolution to HD so you can go full screen and read the text.
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
We use Co-Pilot. It is used by a lot of truckers. You can enter the dimensions of your rig and it routes you away from tight spots and low clearances. And you can download the maps, so you can at least view the maps when you don't have cellular coverage.
2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
VA Plate: WYO2VA
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote