Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
In Waze tapping ones location on the map allows you to send your current location to anyone in your contacts. A nice feature to let them know without fumbling with the phone while driving.

If you move the map off your route there does not seam to be a way to recenter on your route.

Very poor FAQ section

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
In Waze tapping ones location on the map allows you to send your current location to anyone in your contacts. A nice feature to let them know without fumbling with the phone while driving.

If you move the map off your route there does not seam to be a way to recenter on your route.

Very poor FAQ section
This used to be easy but now they have decided to "improve" that feature.
When you move the map the "scope / find me" button appears on the left side. Press that to go back to your present location

If you tap the screen, you are presented with 3-4 icons (4 if you moved the map):
(left side) volume, scope/find me
(right side) point north, zoom (in-out)

If you haven't moved off center you don't get the scope/find me button when you tap the screen.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I use the iPhone app, Garmin, and on-board navigation in the truck, as well as print instructions from Google maps before I leave.
Sometimes the 4 different sources give 4 different routes and all 4 are wrong...
If it a destination you are going to once, it doesn't really matter.
If it is a destination you visit yearly, you can sometimes find better routing on your own with a Rand-McNally road atlas.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Similar active thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ps-143321.html

Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffmanP View Post
We use Co-Pilot. It is used by a lot of truckers. You can enter the dimensions of your rig and it routes you away from tight spots and low clearances. And you can download the maps, so you can at least view the maps when you don't have cellular coverage.
Ditto, Co-Pilot is what I use on my cell phone. I also have a built in GPS in my rig that uses IGO.
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned any apps for fuel. I use Truck Stops Pro to find good places for diesel. Otherwise, it's Google Maps for my main navigation. You can download maps for Offline, which is a good idea for in my off-the-main-road destination area. Probably the best thing about Google Maps is that you can make a custom map around what ever subject matter that you desire. I've done a bunch for Florida, which I've shared with various Air Forum members.

I've got a Garmin Montana 400, but that's used for kayak navigation. I use Google Maps for initial routing, then download it to the device. I can use it for automotive navigation, but it's disconcerting when you're out paddling, and the GPS keeps on telling you to make a left at such-and-such street!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Gasbuddy

For fuel I use Gas Buddy. I don't think any other app even comes close to what Gas Buddy offers. I've used it for a very long time, excellent app.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 05-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #36
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
for those who use CoPilot RV, is it worth the $60.00 one time fee?

thanks!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Has anyone tried the Google Maps new "offline" feature? It appears that you load the area you are interested in when you have service, then your phone's GPS will allow you to use Google Maps when you don't have service. Seems a major drawback might be knowing in advance when and where you will and won't have service.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder View Post
Has anyone tried the Google Maps new "offline" feature? It appears that you load the area you are interested in when you have service, then your phone's GPS will allow you to use Google Maps when you don't have service. Seems a major drawback might be knowing in advance when and where you will and won't have service.y
I used it in Europe last summer. I had a pre-paid data plan that ran out days before heading to Frankfurt Airport for our return, so I navigated everywhere for a couple of days by setting up my plan in the hotel and then setting off. Of course it worked fine for a few days, but on the way to the Airport to catch our flight back we ran into a detour in Geneva and accidentally screwed up and lost our plan. I can still remember the panic my wife and I felt thinking that we were going to miss our flight back home. All was well in the end but I swore never again to rely on the "offline" mode again in a can't-miss situation.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
CAUTION:
Remember any app that runs on your Cell Phone, iPAD, or other device that utilizes the Cellular Phone network for location, will not work if you do not have Cellular Coverage, for example remote locations.

Location accuracy is based on how many cell towers your device is getting a signal from. If for example you are in the middle of Southern Utah and your device only is receiving a signal from a single tower, your location may be very inaccurate.
Actually most modern smartphones like Apple iPhone or Samsung Galaxy already have built in GPS and don't need a cellular connection. Many apps allow you to preplan trips and pre-download maps so that you don't need cell service on the road.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Actually most modern smartphones like Apple iPhone or Samsung Galaxy already have built in GPS and don't need a cellular connection. Many apps allow you to preplan trips and pre-download maps so that you don't need cell service on the road.
My experience with the Waze app is once you've started the route, even if you lose your data signal, the app keeps working, but you don't get the updated road information anymore until the signal comes back. If you don't have a signal and you go off the route you started (go on a different road for some reason) the app tries to connect to update the route, but can't, so it just goes into a "wait" state, even if you come back into a signal. I have to stop mine completely and restart it or it never comes back.

OTOH, you can start Google Maps and it will use the internal GPS just fine.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE