Old 04-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Verizon, iPhone use over internet

I know many of you have Verizon cell phone service, as I do. And many have iPhones too. This week a change was made allowing you to use your Verizon iPhone over a wifi connection, when you have no cell service.

It is a voice over internet service, specifically called voLTE I guess.

In my case, where I live there is NO cell service whatsoever, from any cell carrier. So, my cell has been useless at home. My internet service is from Excell (the old Wild Blue) satellite.

With this new service from Verizon, I can now use my iPhone here at home just as if it were on a cell tower, but it is going over my satellite internet system. I have only placed two calls so far, and received one, but they were completely clear and seemed to work well.

Details are here, with a link to the Verizon pages which tell you what OS you must have and which phones it works with.

http://www.cio.com/article/3046546/c...n-iphones.html

Also note that apparently other cell carriers have allowed this use for a while on their networks, so it may work with other than Verizon. In addition, it looks like some Android phones will also work with Verizon, not just iPhones.

I am very pleased that I now can use my cell phone at home. It may be years, or never, until we get any cell coverage in my area.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Verizon is actually the last of the four major carriers to roll out WiFi calling. TMobile was first.

I just recently switched to Verizon in anticipation of doing more rural traveling in the next year (retirement, finally!). I hated to give up TMobile, the best carrier in absolutely every respect - except rural coverage.

Signing up with Verizon I feel like I've gone over to the dark side to one of the most hated companies in America, outside of Comcast.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Been a continuous Verizon customer since September 1988. They have had the best coverage when driving across the USA of any carrier, hands down.

I got one of the first iPhones to experiment with and it was married to AT&T because of GSM. I could not get any reception at my place in Santa Fe, New Mexico or Bloomington, Indiana or Gold Canyon, Arizona (east edge of Phoenix). They agreed to break the contract with no penalty since the phone was inoperative in any of my residences. I switched that iPhone to O2 in the UK and it became my local phone when we were visiting my in-laws Birmingham, England.

All of my other iPhones have been Verizon based, but the recent ones (version 5 or later) will automatically switch to whatever cell carrier is available around the world. As I upgrade my iPhone, the prior iPhone becomes my UK phone.

My kids or friends can dial the usual USA number and it rings (at no cost to them) wherever I am.

I am interested in actual cell coverage, not inflated marketing claims by AT&T and the others.

Skype has been an app on the iPhone for a long time and one could use WiFi calling with that program.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you don't want to use your carrier's wifi calling, there are several apps available to do the same thing. Just check the app store, or Play store, if you have an android phone. It even works with tablets equipped with microphones.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
I have used my Verizon service on my iPhone 5 and now 6 over wifi ever since switching from an "old fashioned" flip-top cell phone to an iPhone nearly 3 years ago. Using Verizon service over wifi is not new, at least not since June 2013. I do all updates of apps and operating system, and most downloads that involve significant data while connected to wifi -- at home, my office, campgrounds, restaurants like Panera, Macy's, etc. Both phone and data service are free when connected to wifi, so do not consume any phone time or data budget of my plan.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
I have used my Verizon service on my iPhone 5 and now 6 over wifi ever since switching from an "old fashioned" flip-top cell phone to an iPhone nearly 3 years ago. Using Verizon service over wifi is not new, at least not since June 2013. I do all updates of apps and operating system, and most downloads that involve significant data while connected to wifi -- at home, my office, campgrounds, restaurants like Panera, Macy's, etc. Both phone and data service are free when connected to wifi, so do not consume any phone time or data budget of my plan.
Yes, data has been available via wifi for a long period of time. I have used it extensively. Voice calling via wifi has not unless you used an app or non verizon non iPhone system. This is the first time that voice routed through wifi has been available without some secondary system necessary.

It is nice for me, with no cell towers available, to be able to use my iPhone with voice, not just with data, from my satellite net system. It acts just like it was connected to a cell tower. No additional aps, or programs are needed.

According to the article cited in my first post, Verizon is the last of the major carriers to offer this service. It only rolled out the last week in March.

It is just a nice feature to know about and use.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good to know -- thanks all.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Dunedin , Florida
There is an app called Viber that you can use to call anywhere as long as you have wifi (or cell) service. Plus with an iPhone you have Facetime, in addition to Skype and Facebook messenger. There are a myriad of ways to call via the internet.