Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
This ex-trucker will always have a CB on while on the road. When there's a traffic jam you'll be able to learn which lane to be in. Truck drivers tell other drivers what the delay is & which lane will get you through it. It's easier when you can get in the right lane early. I turn the radio off when approaching exits where truck stops are. that's where most of the trash talk happens. You can also just talk while the wheels are rolling. This helps you stay awake if you start feeling groggy. If you get tired though, please get off the road. I've nere had a fellow Airstreamer try to call out to me on channel 14 (old time rally/camper channel) or on channel 19 Trucker & road traveler channel). Ocasional I'll hear a child talking on their walkie-talkies. (Chan 14)

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Thanks for the reminder...I've still got my old 60's CB license around somewhere...can't remember the whole thing...something like '---3206'
Ray
Old 11-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Any later model Silverado owners have experience with mounting a CB antenna on the driver's side hood mount? It sure looks preferable to a roof-mount magnetic antenna, if it's feasible. Thank you. -- John
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The roof -- measured center of the vehicle -- is always the preferred mounting point for best reception/transmission. I use a hood mount at present because I do not have a magnetic mount antenna (but several others).

A mag mount WILSON "Little Wil" is a great (temporary) magnetic antenna; or for the occasional user.

About Magnet Mounts | Wilson Antennas

A better point is the truck bed stake hole on the passenger side, just behind the cab, for a regular antenna. The radiation pattern is better than with a hood mount.

GI JOE'S: Firestik Cb Antenna Mounts Parts & Accessories - Firestick

This is the one to have:

Breedlove Machine

You can run the coax into the cab thru the cab-rear ventilation exhaust. See your vehicle manufacturer guidelines for installation of two-way radios for best results.

You'll want the coax to have a bit of slack at either end, but measure with some rope or similar to have exact length, and order from:

RAR Experts Coax Cable : RadioActiveRadios.com

This is a FORD guideline for radio installation:

http://ddxg.net/files/mobile_radio_i...tion_guide.pdf

The difference between a good installation and an ordinary one is one of miles -- real honest-to-G miles -- and it matters. "Receive" trumps "Transmit" in this regard, so quiet power, no avoidable losses, and a very well-tuned rig will pay itself back when it matters. One can hear those voices of sanity amongst the idiots. A bad installation means one will only hear what is going on about a half-mile around versus 5-7 miles or more during the day.

A very good antenna on a cheap radio with a first rate installation performs as well or better than a high-dollar radio with a typical installation.

My posts above have more information as well.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I took REDNAX’s excellent advice and installed the Firestik Extended Stake Hole Mount, http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm. Also a Firestik antenna. With a Midland Micro Mobile-Portable CB, http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822, my reception range is good and transmissions are clear. A classic CB with a dozen controls might be preferred by some but I wanted simplicity and got it with this setup. I’ve enjoyed using the CB on caravans and it’s reassuring to have a backup when I don’t have cell phone service.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
A good CB is still an important tool to have on the road.
On Sunday, Aug 23, we got caught in a major traffic snag in downtown Chicago, and if it had not been for the CB, it would have been a dull 4.5 hours sitting in one spot on I-90 eastbound. In that type of situation, it is easy to keep informed as to what is the cause, and how the situation is progressing. Many funny stories also. Some of those truckers can be more entertaining than any adult comedy show on TV.
I travel with the CB on low volume, and when it starts to be active, you know there is something happening ahead.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So how will the NTSB announcement today affect CBs.
They are calling for a nationwide ban on handheld ELECTRONICS while driving. Story focuses on cell phone calling and texting, but the phrase calls out ELECTRONICS......hmmmm....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
They are calling for a nationwide ban on handheld ELECTRONICS while driving. Story focuses on cell phone calling and texting, but the phrase calls out ELECTRONICS......hmmmm....
No need for handheld... just plug your David Clark headset into the radio.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
No need for handheld... just plug your David Clark headset into the radio.

What's that?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
This sort of thing:
Attached Images

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
But I though headphones were illegal while driving......is there a single earbud version?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
One of my problems in life was that I never was able to work and talk at the same time. So I just connect the CB speaker line to the Sound Surround in the Clipper as posted here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...cht-77067.html
That gives good clear voice if needed.
I also have a remote speaker on my cockpit sidewall that I can use when the navigator is snoozing.
In today's environment, I think the law would frown on you wearing a full headset.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Maybe CBs will join the 21st century and go bluetooth!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Funny story: a couple years back I was on the PA Turnpike when a cop rolled by. One of the truckers said something like, "Why don't you just pull off and get some coffee so we can all get going?" The cop replied, "You worry about your ****ing job and I'll worry about mine." Score one for the PA State Police!
Here's another one. I was in Western Wyoming headed West one Sunday afternoon and with very little traffic on the road I was gassin' on it pretty good. The radio suddenly blurted "Driver, how fast are you going?" I looked at my speedo first (85) and then I looked in my rearview mirror and was shocked to see a Wy Hiway Patrol car right beside the rear of my trailer. Lying, I replied "''bout 75" which was the speed limit and he shot back "Well you better gas on it then because your trailer's goin' 85" -pause- "Slow it down!". "Slowin' her down boss" I replied and then he drove on past me.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Actually, they are calling for a ban on use of ANY electronics, handheld or otherwise:

NTSB Recommends Ban On Cellphones While Driving : NPR

Quote:
States should ban all driver use of cellphones and other portable electronic devices, except in emergencies, the National Transportation Board said Tuesday.

The recommendation, unanimously agreed to by the five-member board, applies to both hands-free and hand-held phones and significantly exceeds any existing state laws restricting texting and cellphone use behind the wheel.
Never happen, though. The wireless lobby is too powerful for this to get by.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Actually, they are calling for a ban on use of ANY electronics, handheld or otherwise:

NTSB Recommends Ban On Cellphones While Driving : NPR

Never happen, though. The wireless lobby is too powerful for this to get by.
Well that directly conflicts with CNBC and Fox news reports, but you are right....much to come. And since the NTSB has NO enforcement capability, it will ultamitely fall to state and local lawmakers.
Cook County (Chicago) has banned all non-hands free for a couple of years now. Several other areas have bans as well, but I THINK they all have specified CELL phones....not electronics.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Well you better gas on it then because your trailer's goin' 85"

I like that guy.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Along with the cab mounted CB, we carry a hand held also so the wife can help me back in. She was always disappearing back there. Things go much smoother. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Noxon , Montana
state by state cell phone driving ban

This site might be helpful: Reviews and News on Tech Products, Software and Downloads | PCWorld. then search for state by state ban. It discusses the "latest" ban on the use of in-auto electronics.

Quote:
Well that directly conflicts with CNBC and Fox news reports, but you are right....much to come. And since the NTSB has NO enforcement capability, it will ultamitely fall to state and local lawmakers.
Cook County (Chicago) has banned all non-hands free for a couple of years now. Several other areas have bans as well, but I THINK they all have specified CELL phones....not electronics.
Pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Noxon , Montana
Check out PCworld.com. It has a section regarding state by state regulations of in-auto use of cell phone.
Pecos is offline   Reply With Quote